Danvile Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drumbum

I was Curious if anyone near the Danville area has figured out there new system yet? I would like to figure it out but haven't lost anything down there LOL, I am also curious about what i saw on the new about the new system not being able to be scanned. the Quote from the chief .(Quote). Deel said that “the fact that people can’t monitor our traffic” was not intentional by the Danville Police Department. “That wasn’t by design. That’s just the way it works.”. (Unquote) .. So its either a system that the vendor told them couldn't be scanned or Danville requested Encryption on their new system.. I probably believe the latter since I went to college down there . Danville PD is a very shady bunch I know first hand..

Drumbum

Correct,, that's why I wanted to see if anyone has tried to monitor it before I drive 40 miles to check it out

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Drumbum

I wouldn't mind figuring this system out and looks like no one has unless they are keeping it to themselves and not submitting to RR,

Eugene

Database shows Fire/EMS with DMR, which I believe is fairly recent. Now PD with NEXEDGE. Can't believe Fire/EMS would be switching practically new DMR radios to go to NEXEDGE (although I am not an expert so maybe the radios are somehow interchangeable). If not, I wonder if anyone making the big decisions gave a thought about interop between Fire/EMS and PD with 2 different systems.

Eugene KG4AVE

Drumbum

From what I read the Kenwood they are using will do nxdn, DMR and P25, not sure if that is true just read off the Kenwood site for the radios they are using

Eugene

AH.....that's good......lets hope not another example of one hand not knowing what the other is doing. Of course that could never happen in city governments, right................

Eugene KG4AVE

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
The county is 700mhz Phase II, the VFD's all have their own VHF repeaters or simplex, Danville is UHF NXDN, Danville Life Saving Crew is VHF Mototrbo. I don't think any of the hands care what the other is doing.

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
Just because the radios are capable doesn't mean that the features are turned on. You pay by the option with those, just like Motorola.

One or both the dispatch centers might be able to patch channels but that's as far as it goes. I'm not sure that they even have that capability based on what people that are in-the-know tell me.

W4UVV

Danville is an independent city

The county is 700mhz Phase II, the VFD's all have their own VHF repeaters or simplex, Danville is UHF NXDN, Danville Life Saving Crew is VHF Mototrbo. I don't think any of the hands care what the other is doing.

----------------
There is no county. Danville is one of the stand alone 38 independent cities in Virginia.

John
W4UVV

Drumbum

Correct, it is just surrounded by Pittsylvania county, that system is in the database and works fine

Ghstwolf62

Premium Subscriber
Virginia doesn't look at it the way most of the world does. They are considered separate stand alone entities completely isolated from the county they are in.

Elsewhere it would be looked at as Danville is part of Pittsylvania county but incorporated. Not in Virginia.

It was frustrating looking at RR DB listings at first because everywhere else you'd look for the county and then cities within the county under the same listing but here you have to look at the county then go find cities within the county in their own separate listing. You forget or don't know what cities may or may not be on their own and you'd miss stuff.

W4UVV

I submitted a technical enhancement change to the FCC

Virginia doesn't look at it the way most of the world does. They are considered separate stand alone entities completely isolated from the county they are in.

Elsewhere it would be looked at as Danville is part of Pittsylvania county but incorporated. Not in Virginia.

It was frustrating looking at RR DB listings at first because everywhere else you'd look for the county and then cities within the county under the same listing but here you have to look at the county then go find cities within the county in their own separate listing. You forget or don't know what cities may or may not be on their own and you'd miss stuff.

----------------------------
Some years ago before the FCC contracted out the recurring admin duties, in the early 90s I submitted a technical enhancement change to the FCC to add an additional search parameter for independent cities unique to where else, of course, but to the Commonwealth (not a state although technically it also is a state except when it is advantageous to be a Commonweath...some laws based on old English common laws, etc.) of Virginia. After not receiving any written feedback I called FCC tech help one day and asked to speak to a technician and somehow one had answered the phone. I explained our little special "independent cities" situation thing in Virginia about how it results with documents not being 100% correct, etc.

He responded with the fact the other 49 states didn't have any problem because they didn't have special "independent cities". They had counties and basically "Tango Sierra". He recommended I enter the closest county although that would not be a 100% correct entry either. He further informed me that the General Menu Reports software could not be changed to support such an unique requirement for just one state. I informed him back I also worked in federal civil service with the Army Computer Systems Command, Ft. Lee, VA as a Computer Systems Analysis as one of a number of Systems Analysts and Computer Programmers supporting one of the 10 worldwide logistical supply software systems our Support Group provided to Army installations, facilities and units worldwide and such as software modification certainly could be done if tasked by upper management. That sort of ended the conversation on a sour note. He thanked me for calling and submitting the aforementioned recommendation for a software change to the General Search Menu. Goodbye. "Click".

Years passed. It may have been in the early or mid-2000s when somehow it came to my attention that one of the significant changes made during a latest FCC General Menu Search website update now supported additionally searching Virginia for independent cities and counties separately. I just knew for sure that my old suggestion for doing the same from 15 years ago had been found by the FCC teckies and implemented the enhancement. It now would just be a matter of time waiting until I heard from the FCC by mail with a formal certificate of appreciation and dare I wish maybe a check for oh.... maybe $5,000 or maybe with inflation these days $10,000. I'm still waiting. I know paperwork can take a long time to go through the proper channels for approval. I just hope the end of my suggestion was not what when I was working inf federal civil service sometimes referred to as "File 13".

John
W4UVV

Status
Not open for further replies.