Daphne Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike36507

Premium Subscriber
Is Daphne still using the NXDN system does anyone know? Or have they moved over to the P25 system? I'm sure they're still encrypted wherever they are.

dmmbutts26

I'll check when I'm back home; contractor installing fibre cut the existing Mediacom line in my neighbourhood so I've not had Internet for the past few days :(. Anyway, have you ever tried to use DSDPlus with an SDR? On the free version (but not the paid, for some reason) when I check the Nexedge, it has some tags when decoding. I have a spare USB dongle if you want to try it.

mike36507

Premium Subscriber
I have a dongle but I’ve never used DSD. I just use my Whistler scanner for the NXDN stuff and occasionally one of my Unidens. I’ll check my recordings from my Whistler this afternoon

TomServo

I've used DSD with an SDR to monitor Foley back before they went encrypted and I noticed that tags were really hit and miss across all the agencies. Don't think I heard Daphne off the Foley tower, just Foley and occasionally Robertsdale or Fairhope.

dmmbutts26

I've used DSD with an SDR to monitor Foley back before they went encrypted and I noticed that tags were really hit and miss across all the agencies. Don't think I heard Daphne off the Foley tower, just Foley and occasionally Robertsdale or Fairhope.

I've not heard Fairhope PD since the days they were on VHF, not even sure what system they use today. I sometimes get a lot from Bay Minette on Nexedge but other times not so much. Whilst my main radio is an SDS200, I use SDR to try and figure out some details of systems. All I need to do with P25 systems using DSDPlus is get on a CC but I can't get that to work with Nexedge. May be my setup in the batch files? I usually use an SDRPlay but also have a few of the cheap USB dongles that do not perform as well.

mike36507

Premium Subscriber
Fairhope started out with the NXDN system, but then switched to the P25 which is where I believe they still are, but they're encrypted. The past couple of days I have tried to figure out DSD Plus and it seems like too much of a headache to use.

dmmbutts26

Yeah, not a lot of documentation with DSDPlus but it's pretty straightforward once you figure it out. I can share the contents of a couple of batch files I use to start it up. I have used both my SDRPlay and a USB dongle but not not at the same time. I have also played around with SDRTrunk and a USB dongle for P25. Might play with those some more in the next day or two to see if I can remember how I got them working, lol.

TomServo

I've not heard Fairhope PD since the days they were on VHF, not even sure what system they use today. I sometimes get a lot from Bay Minette on Nexedge but other times not so much. Whilst my main radio is an SDS200, I use SDR to try and figure out some details of systems. All I need to do with P25 systems using DSDPlus is get on a CC but I can't get that to work with Nexedge. May be my setup in the batch files? I usually use an SDRPlay but also have a few of the cheap USB dongles that do not perform as well.

It's been a long while since I tried to decode NXDN with DSDplus, so I honestly don't remember what I had to do to get it working, but I do have a special .bat file for it:

Code:
DSDPlus >>logfile.txt  -T -E -e -UA30 -UI30 -wsl633.710 -wel436.1015 -wcl744.247 -fn -fN -i1M

I am using an SDRPlay RSP-1, and at the time I was running four virtual RX windows with the four active channels off the Foley tower, I think. Not exactly an elegant setup, and I missed a good bit of traffic this way, but it worked well enough to prove it could decode things.

Around the time the PD went encrypted a few years ago, I upgraded to a magnetic loop for HF reception so I don't really check the public safety bands anymore. I'd love to buy a digital capable scanner, but with so much being encrypted now I not sure there's much to listen to. The FDs are all still in analog, at least they were last time I checked.

garys

Premium Subscriber
This helped me figure out DSDPlus in the days before it was able to track trunking systems. Once you get this installed, it's just a matter of unzipping and pasting upgrades. To me it was well worth the $25.00 to get lifetime upgrades.

Back when my son lived in Fairhope I'd bring along my portable SDR setup and listen to Fairhope, Daphne, and other towns using NXDN. That was before the P25 network was built out and encryption became all the rage.

If I can find my notes, I'll post what I found as far as units and who used what. Much of it isn't still accurate because of the encryption although I did find some unencrypted NXDN traffic patched over from the Sheriff's P25.

Baldwin County is very nice, if there were better airports in the area we'd definitely consider relocating.

Fairhope started out with the NXDN system, but then switched to the P25 which is where I believe they still are, but they're encrypted. The past couple of days I have tried to figure out DSD Plus and it seems like too much of a headache to use.

TomServo

If I can find my notes, I'll post what I found as far as units and who used what. Much of it isn't still accurate because of the encryption although I did find some unencrypted NXDN traffic patched over from the Sheriff's P25.

Baldwin County is very nice, if there were better airports in the area we'd definitely consider relocating.

I think the county's various fire departments are also simulcast in the clear on the NXDN radios, too.

Jack Edwards in Gulf Shores is now "Jack Edwards International Airport" and has its own dedicated tower. They're building a new terminal and looking for some (limited) commercial service at some point, so you may get your wish for a better airport. Or at least one that's more convenient to the beaches! It was said that prior to this update, it was the busiest airport in the nation without its own tower.

garys

Premium Subscriber
If they ever get Brookley built out it will be a viable option. I don't know that I'll ever be down there again, but I'll go if the opportunity presents itself.

Fairhope was a small town, but there was a lot of building going on when my son moved, so I hope it doesn't get ruined.

I think the county's various fire departments are also simulcast in the clear on the NXDN radios, too.

Jack Edwards in Gulf Shores is now "Jack Edwards International Airport" and has its own dedicated tower. They're building a new terminal and looking for some (limited) commercial service at some point, so you may get your wish for a better airport. Or at least one that's more convenient to the beaches! It was said that prior to this update, it was the busiest airport in the nation without its own tower.

Status
Not open for further replies.