Darkstar, Crazy and Ace

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyair1

226.300 am mode
Darkstar working Crazy and ACE callsigns with "hostiles" up to 32K feet.
Very clear here in Niagara.

226.300 is a freq for the Viper airspace over in the adirondacks area. Usually F-16's from Vermont train over there. I can pass on some other freqs for you to check out when i get home tonite. Love to see what other freqs you have also. Thanks

D

DaveNF2G

DARKSTAR is a call used by the Canadian side of NORAD, a counterpart to HUNTRESS. It is unlikely that a Canadian listener west of Buffalo is hearing Viper airspace traffic.

nodak1crdet3

DARKSTAR is a call used by the Canadian side of NORAD, a counterpart to HUNTRESS. It is unlikely that a Canadian listener west of Buffalo is hearing Viper airspace traffic.

Hi David,
DARKSTAR is the call sign used by the back end of the E-3 Sentry AWACS out of Tinker AFB OK. I believe your thinking of SIDECAR for the Canadian version of HUNTRESS / NORAD.

D

DaveNF2G

Ah, yes, my mistake. You are right. I was thinking of DRAGNET for the AWACS and forgot about DARKSTAR also being theirs.

N2SCV

Premium Subscriber
Sitting at the beach in NYC with my Pro-106 in search, heard pilots (?) talking about "doing 3 k but I don't want to end up in the ocean" on 140.175 and then another reading out descending altitude down to 3500; some other chatter on 140.2 am. Just starting to get into milcoms so I don't know what I'm hearing.

Hooligan

Sitting at the beach in NYC with my Pro-106 in search, heard pilots (?) talking about "doing 3 k but I don't want to end up in the ocean" on 140.175 and then another reading out descending altitude down to 3500; some other chatter on 140.2 am. Just starting to get into milcoms so I don't know what I'm hearing.

You're hearing what's known as the "interplane" channel used by a flight of (assumably military) aircraft. Usually a lot of BS'ing but also some important comms between themselves. They can then use the normal 225-400MHz band for official comms with their controllers -- ATC, AWACS, NORAD, etc.

138-144 & 148-150.8MHz is the spectrum to check for this sort of stuff, AM mode & in 25kHz steps. In some situations where they might be communicating via secure means on 225-400Mhz, by habit, they sometimes continue to talk in non-secure mode on their VHF channel. Keep in mind this spectrum is also used in FM or P-25 mode (12.5kHz steps) for US military & federal government land mobile radio nets, though depending on where you live, the only usual agency you might hear in FM/P-25 mode is the USAF's Civil Air Patrol. You can also hear a satellite on about 150.00MHz.

Status
Not open for further replies.