Data base for scanner application files

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
I apologize in advance if this is one of those things that has been beat to death in the past....

Would it be feasible/has it been considered to provide a data base that actually contains and makes available formatted scanner files ready to upload to a scanner organized by location?

In other words, you would go to a site, pick a state/county/ and the perhaps a genre like public safety, industry, aviation and then be able to download (or upload and share) files "ready to go" for a scanner. I suppose this would be a huge undertaking, since for a single location you would have to segregate into different formats of scanners/manufactures. Perhaps it is beyond the scope of RR.

I know from time to time I see file sharing for things like Uniden scanner files... but I don't think I have ever seen any organized, standardized repository. Maybe I just haven't surfed enough... The RR db has surely matured into a great database that is well managed with standard formats and organization so the information is easy to find and use, and within the past couple years the audio links have been integrated and followed in that same well organized fashion, so it occured to me maybe a future consideration would be something like this as well.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
At one time, Lindsay attempted to do this, it quickly proved to be unmanageable. When RR came online (Feb 2004) there was no download capability. This is why, today, you can download directly from the database. In other words, doing this would be a step backward.

dgoodson

Feed Provider
yes, this would be a huge undertaking. I realized after posting and further contemplation, "I" am the problem, I guess I should get with the 21 Century and become more familiar with and comfortable with some of the available apps that will download and format the data for particular brands of radio. I'm sort of stuck in the good ole days of using Unidens UASD!

JoeyC

I don't think your suggestion is pre 21st century or that much of a huge undertaking as long as some guidelines are adhered to. Downloading from the database is great, but its just that, downloading.

If I understand correctly, you would like to see a collection of files stored to serve certain geographic areas in the format of the major software packages that program todays scanners. For instance, a police/fire/ems file for the the larger metro areas, already compiled and tagged appropriately without alot of the selecting and deselecting required to download info into the software packages. Already polished products ready to go. Of course, there could be 10,000 versions of the same areas if there wasn't some control over it. Perhaps file approval similar to feed approval would be the way to limit the collection, if this ever to become a reality. Then again, with scanners like the HP-1 coming around, this may be a moot point anyway.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
...I'm sort of stuck in the good ole days of using Unidens UASD!
:lol:
In case you didn't know it, Paul (UPMan) had distributed a download package for UASD but it only worked on trunking systems, I think he had planned on adding conventional down the road, but with the proliferation of other packages, he never continued on the project.

Status
Not open for further replies.