• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Data channel revert NX5700

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC3AWP

Feed Provider
On our 5700's, our primary dispatch channel is analog, and our AVL/ Tac channel is NXDN. Im looking to have the radio report its location on the NXDN channel when its sitting on the analog dispatch channel. As of now, the only way to get it to revert is when it is on another NXDN channel. Can anyone give me any settings to check on D1N? Thanks!

KC3AWP

Feed Provider
In the help topics, there should be a GPS report channel under Transceiver Settings> Personal>Personal Features>NXDN Conventional>GPS but there is no option to set the actual GPS channel, just data channel.

dapaq2

I cant imagine they would lock you into only reporting based on which signal you are using... would they?
Unfortunately yes, that is exactly what they did... Same situation is the “Status Powered ON/OFF messaging” function, it behaves the same way, it only reports on a digital channel and it only reports on the current selected channel, there is no way to tell it to report Powered ON/OFF Status Messaging to/on a pre-selected/programmed designated channel regardless of the current channel mode.

KC3AWP

Feed Provider
Wow, disappointed that some common sense features are not possible. Starting to think Kenwood doesnt want to be in the PS LMR buissness anymore when you compare them to the the co/\/\pany who shall not be named in this thread.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Wow, disappointed that some common sense features are not possible. Starting to think Kenwood doesnt want to be in the PS LMR buissness anymore when you compare them to the the co/\/\pany who shall not be named in this thread.

Have you reached out to your dealer rep to send this up to JVCKenwood’s engineering team?

Lol. What a dumb statement man.

KC3AWP

Feed Provider
Have you reached out to your dealer rep to send this up to JVCKenwood’s engineering team?

Lol. What a dumb statement man.
What is a dumb statement? That their supposed flag ship model at the time that was supposed to ease customers into a new market fails to have a simple method of reverting from analog to digital for AVL? Or was it the statement that Im disappointed that if my rep fails to answer a question, I have to go through the trouble to get Kenwoods engineering team to even consider adding a feature that would make sense? Im still waiting on the engineers to fix the voice announcement so it doesn't take priority over the radio traffic. Maybe after year 3 they'll get to it, hmm Maybe I have too much sense to see what the dumb statement was.

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Maybe you should apply for a job at Kenwood Engineering Department for a job as our fleet of NX5200's meet all goals at a fraction of the price of Motorola. My NX5200 does Analog NXDN and DMR all at the sametime show me something else on the market that does this.
Voice Announcement is a waste of time in life safety use it may be ok for a hobby radio but not public service just as scan has no place in front line fire service.

rkm1215

Premium Subscriber
I find it cool that multiple thread members are part 97 users in addition to professionals. I am too, but don't use that as my username as I've been RR member before I became part 97 user. I've been contemplating an NX5XXX purchase as well, but only for personal use for now. I too would need a 2nd radio as agency affiliation would be in a different band and recently with trunking, but don't need an unmentioned multiband currently. NX allows me to future proof for when time comes though.

KC3AWP

Feed Provider
Maybe you should apply for a job at Kenwood Engineering Department for a job as our fleet of NX5200's meet all goals at a fraction of the price of Motorola. My NX5200 does Analog NXDN and DMR all at the sametime show me something else on the market that does this.
Voice Announcement is a waste of time in life safety use it may be ok for a hobby radio but not public service just as scan has no place in front line fire service.
Don’t be a fanboy... this stuff is already done by multiple others. No reason Kenwood can’t implement it. And voice announce certainly has its benefits when you keep your radio under your turnout gear. I’m not turning this into a pissing contest on who has more PS experience. Go to another thread and spew.

KC3AWP

Feed Provider
I find it cool that multiple thread members are part 97 users in addition to professionals. I am too, but don't use that as my username as I've been RR member before I became part 97 user. I've been contemplating an NX5XXX purchase as well, but only for personal use for now. I too would need a 2nd radio as agency affiliation would be in a different band and recently with trunking, but don't need an unmentioned multiband currently. NX allows me to future proof for when time comes though.
Yeah I’ve always gotten super great help here.
We were planning to future proof too with the NX5000 series. We happen to fall on radio upgrade before our county talked about digital upgrade. Ourselves run multiple NXDN repeaters so we started NX200/700 upgrades. Our county talked about pulling the trigger on P25 PII so the NX5k line seemed perfect. We could keep our NXDN and then go P25 when needed. It’s working great for us so far but as PA nears completion of its P25 system and our county starts to get a plan in motion for its own P25, it seems in the air if our radios will actually be able to join the network. Honestly it all depends on who buys the system you’ll be on. Even though P25 is an open standard, seems both party’s (and one does it more than the other) have their own proprietary mode or option. My advice to company’s looking to future proof, wait as long as you can. And if possible, build the system around what you have. Unfortunately, we don’t have that option as our county choose a different manufacturer than we did so it’s tough.

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
Yeah I’ve always gotten super great help here.
We were planning to future proof too with the NX5000 series. We happen to fall on radio upgrade before our county talked about digital upgrade. Ourselves run multiple NXDN repeaters so we started NX200/700 upgrades. Our county talked about pulling the trigger on P25 PII so the NX5k line seemed perfect. We could keep our NXDN and then go P25 when needed. It’s working great for us so far but as PA nears completion of its P25 system and our county starts to get a plan in motion for its own P25, it seems in the air if our radios will actually be able to join the network. Honestly it all depends on who buys the system you’ll be on. Even though P25 is an open standard, seems both party’s (and one does it more than the other) have their own proprietary mode or option. My advice to company’s looking to future proof, wait as long as you can. And if possible, build the system around what you have. Unfortunately, we don’t have that option as our county choose a different manufacturer than we did so it’s tough.

Not sure who is building the PA system, but there are a metric **** ton of NX5xxx portables and mobiles on the Harris VHF/700MHz AFRRCS system in Alberta. There have been some issues with them for sure, but Kenwood has been, and is, addressing these issues at the engineering level. A friend that deals with agencies using multiple manufacturers of subscriber gear, and has taken firmware issues with the NX5xxx series to Kenwood engineering.

Keep in mind Kenwood is a relative newcomer to P25 subscriber gear, and if you don't communicate your needs/wants/issues they won't get addressed.

KC3AWP

Feed Provider
Not sure who is building the PA system, but there are a metric **** ton of NX5xxx portables and mobiles on the Harris VHF/700MHz AFRRCS system in Alberta. There have been some issues with them for sure, but Kenwood has been, and is, addressing these issues at the engineering level. A friend that deals with agencies using multiple manufacturers of subscriber gear, and has taken firmware issues with the NX5xxx series to Kenwood engineering.

Keep in mind Kenwood is a relative newcomer to P25 subscriber gear, and if you don't communicate your needs/wants/issues they won't get addressed.
The PA system was awarded to Motorola, not sure if separate authorized dealers are handling the project or if Corp is handling the whole thing. But yeah I have no problem operational wise with our Kenwood's beside the one I originally mentioned at the start of this forum. From my own opinion, they just seem to have fallen behind the 8 ball (I want to say it almost reminds me of the AMD vs intel war of the late 80's and 90's with Intel as M and AMD as K). It just seems awful quiet lately from their corner and Im somewhat disappointed. Looking foreward to future updates that are more than just audio improvements.

Status
Not open for further replies.