Data on 155.475 (L.E. Calling Channel)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reformedMhacker

Premium Subscriber
I've been hearing a (4800 baud?) data stream intermittently on the 155.475 national L.E. calling channel.
Very strong around walton co. Anybody know if there is a state agency using this for MDT traffic? I thought it may have been simply mdc-4800, but the stream lasts way too long.

MeddleMan

I've been hearing a (4800 baud?) data stream intermittently on the 155.475 national L.E. calling channel.
Very strong around walton co. Anybody know if there is a state agency using this for MDT traffic? I thought it may have been simply mdc-4800, but the stream lasts way too long.

Looks like it belongs to Gwinnet Co., car to car. I don't know if it is for data.

N8IAA

Looks like it belongs to Gwinnet Co., car to car. I don't know if it is for data.

If anyone has been watching the news, ya'll know what it is about:) That is the VTAC 31 channel for the Feds. Had 62+ hits on it today. 165.24 (ICE) came up with a 100.0pl with encryption.
Larry

N8IAA

VTAC 31 for the feds is 155.475?

Is that what happens when you get old? Asking redundant questions:)) Look under the Wiki here on RR, Mike. There are a lot of frequencies that parallel metro conventional PD's and SO's in the VTAC channels. And, yes. It is encrypted:(
Larry

N8IAA

OTAR perhaps ?

Not unless Gwinnett has switched to a vhf system:) I expect a lot more Fedcomms to happen now that the SO department is targeting illegals in the county jail. Knowing what some of the county PD cars use for their vhf comms, OTAR just won't work.
Larry

nunyax

I think this may be coming from Auburn, GA PD. They are licensed on 155.475 for an emissions designator of 7K60FXE which is MotoTRBO digital voice. The data sounds a lot like the data on Monroe's MotoTRBO repeater on 159.1725.

On my commute between Monroe and Suwanee, monitoring with the stingy S-meter on my Yaesu mobile shows the strongest signal (nearly full scale) on Harbins Road at 316. From there it gets weaker both south to Monroe and west to Lawrenceville.

In the past I have heard Auburn PD units on 155.475 and it sounded like a repeater output instead of simplex. I thought it might have been a patch to a base transmitter. Looks like it may have been a Motorola MotoTRBO repeater all the time and they have just switched from analog to digital.

All of Auburn's frequencies on the KNIN371 license have 7K60FXE as an available emission. I checked a few other area agencies that are licensed for 155.475 but don't see anything other than regular and narrow-band voice emission designators. I just wonder why they chose 155.475 as a repeater output. My guess is they are using 159.4125 as an input.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber

My question is this - I thought 155.475 (NLEF) was a protected frequency, like 154.280 (MUTAID) is here in Georgia. Is that not true? It certainly would appear it isn't, either that, or it isn't being observed.

trooper890

It most certainly is, and should never have been coordinated for this purpose for primary use.

nunyax

Auburn isn't even licensed for a base transmitter on 155.475, just mobiles so it's odd how this all came about. Their license was modified on 10/29/2009 to add the MOTOTRBO emissions designator and it shows to be coordinated with "Forestry Conservation Communication Asoc" as the frequency coordinator on 10/25.

I haven't listened to 155.475 much anymore since it's pretty annoying now but all I've been hearing is just 5 second digital transmissions every 60 seconds, never any extended digital that would be conversations. They rarely used it in analog and usage seems to be the same in digital. Maybe this is just temporary and they'll move the digital base output to their 155.730 repeater output frequency if/when they are ready to transition fully to digital.

If interested, here's a link to what MOTOTRBO digital sounds like from w2sjw.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.