Data packets on 29.250.

mancow

Database Admin
I've noticed the last few weeks when propagation is up (like it is now) some sort of data packets with a beep at the beginning are being transmitted on 29.625. I've verified it's not something local. Anyone else hearing it?

2022-11-26 12_19_39-SP1 0-0.png

Last edited:

nd5y

Back in the late 80s to early 90s there was some people running AFSK FM 1200 baud packet (the same format that was commonly used on 2m & 70cm) around 29.0-29.3 MHz. I don't remember the exact frequency.

dcr_inc

Feed Provider *York Pa.*
Premium Subscriber
Back in the 80's and 90's we had fun on Ham radio.. Not like it is today.. Too many "book class" extras who don't build or repair their own stuff..

mancow

Database Admin
Back in the late 80s to early 90s there was some people running AFSK FM 1200 baud packet (the same format that was commonly used on 2m & 70cm) around 29.0-29.3 MHz. I don't remember the exact frequency.
That would be a neat idea.

nd5y

That would be a neat idea.
It was but FM didn't work well and there was the question of if it was legal to do that in the US on that frequency so they eventually switched to direct FSK (which was just switching the radio mode from FM to SSB) and moved down to 28.195.

jwt873

Premium Subscriber

Heh. I was one of them. There was some limited experimentation using 1200 Baud FM in the early 80's. I was running FBB bulletin board software and was sending and receiving messages to/from N7OO in Bisbee AZ who was running the same software. (We were at the peak of a sunspot cycle back then and 10 was open between us just about every day).

The BIG problem at the time was the fact that we were in the middle of the AM portion of the 10 meter band. That got a lot of people upset.. Very upset :) That's why didn't last that long.

N2YQT

Ambulance Driver
Premium Subscriber
Heh. I was one of them. There was some limited experimentation using 1200 Baud FM in the early 80's. I was running FBB bulletin board software and was sending and receiving messages to/from N7OO in Bisbee AZ who was running the same software. (We were at the peak of a sunspot cycle back then and 10 was open between us just about every day).

The BIG problem at the time was the fact that we were in the middle of the AM portion of the 10 meter band. That got a lot of people upset.. Very upset :) That's why didn't last that long.

Should be ok now. They are all to busy *****ing about FT8 to even notice.

n2epv

Premium Subscriber
It's 18:15 UTC and I am hearing the data transmission on 29.250 in western Massachusetts. To my ear, it sounds like the aircraft ACARS signals that can be heard around 131 MHz AM and is the same varying time length as aircraft data transmissions. Signal strength is S5-S9 on an IC-7300 with a 10 meter vertical antenna. It repeats about every 5 seconds. The band is open to Europe and there are various data transmissions above the US CB band (in addition to a lot of hobbyist voice traffic).

mancow

Database Admin
I think it's someone beaconing and occasionally using Yaesu Fusion. I have the FT2D hooked up to monitor it and it initiated the digital receive beep a few times. I've seen some longer transmissions on SDR but they haven't yet been strong enough for the FT2D to decode them if that is in fact what it is.

mancow

Database Admin
Confirmed Fusion. I just now heard K7CAM I believe it was saying his call and "out". His QRZ page says he has an FT-991A so that makes sense.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Definitely Yaesu Fusion on 29.250 using C4FM in DN mode, so that it transmits the GPS info as well as the callsign. I'm observing activity now at 2042 UTC on my 991A. I'm unsure how long operators have been using that freq for that.