Data slicer and USB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
I don't think this can be done, but I was interested in connecting a data slicer to my netbook, but all I have is USB. Will a serial to USB adapter work? Something tells me you need a raw signal.

Thanks!

mancow

Database Admin
It should work. The tapped signal is basically a TTL serial data stream. The converter changes that to rs232 - 10 +10 then back again to USB. I think it would mainly depend on the application and how it talks to a uart just as many Motorola serial applications won't work unless they can assert control of a port directly but the data slicer is a much simpler one directional system. At least theoretically it should be.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
I don't think this can be done, but I was interested in connecting a data slicer to my netbook, but all I have is USB. Will a serial to USB adapter work? Something tells me you need a raw signal.
I doubt it would work because the Data Slicer is making non-standard use of the pins.

However, it might also be worthwhile having a look here.

As for your other question, a Serial to USB adapter employing the FTDI chipset is the only way to go.

--
Comint

Last edited:

mancow

Database Admin
Hmm true, I forgot about the use of RTS and CTS etc... polter hold up I think I recall a converter that had all pins assigned. I will try to find it.

mancow

Database Admin
QKits Electronic Kits: PL2303, USB to RS232 Cable

That one looks as if it supports all pins and it's pretty cheap but I would still think any generic one should work anyway unless you are using something that is looking to use those pins beyond the regular RX / TX lines. What program are you planning on using?

Last edited:

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
QKits Electronic Kits: PL2303, USB to RS232 Cable

That one looks as if it supports all pins and it's pretty cheap but I would still think any generic one should work anyway unless you are using something that is looking to use those pins beyond the regular RX / TX lines. What program are you planning on using?

As for your other question, a Serial to USB adapter employing the FTDI chipset is the only way to go.

Comint

Hmm... a PL2303 is a Prolific device, most certainly requiring Prolific drivers and not FTDI.

So that leads me to ask Comint the question --- Why is FTDI the only way to go?

Mike

poltergeisty

Banned
Last edited:

wkm

No you don't need one for acars. Btw PDW not to be great for ACARS. Use KG-Acars or Acarsd or run them together. You can also run PDW at the same time. What I got from PDW was more hash than anything. While the other two decoded the messages just fine.

poltergeisty

Banned
I use to run PDW and it takes some fine tuning. I may go with something different. I will be using a Pro 2042 and I guess there is a sync tone and I need to leave the squelch open for it to be detected. Which kinda sucks then because I can't scan all the ACARS channels then. I wonder if connecting a pre amp will allow the ever so tuned squelch open quick enough? I have always wanted to try one of those GRC pre amps, but they're hard to find.

wkm

I tried to get PDW to work. FM trap, setting the mic with no gain or effects, audio levels. Was to finicky for me. I also don't have a line in on my laptop, so that could be it. The other two programs work just fine. As they say ymmv. Don't know if a preamp would open the squelch quicker. I am pretty close to seatac so signals are strong. But even on the lowest setting squelch won't open up half the time for me.

There is one constant active channel so I just tune to that. The others seem pretty dead except for Can Air but that signal is weak.

wkm

What was the frequency?

130.0250 is the one most used by me. Easily catch messages from 20 or more planes in the first 30 minutes of intercepting. From what I read this is the secondary US and Canada channel.

Here is a funny message I caught last friday.

UA0817 (N439UA) [5Z:7:M40A] MODE:2
/71 ORDSEA 0\STRONG ODOR IN AIRPLANE FROM BOARDING THROUGH LANDING - OLD SOCKS OR GLYCOL
Lch------------------------[1/10/2014 10:06:39 PM]

wkm

The rs232 is the usb data slicer RS-232 Interface. It a 2 level slicer. The interface has a rs232 socket but can be used with a usb converter. It eliminates the hand shake that is required. He sells them built or in a kit with the board and the programmed ic. Not sure why they don't use rs232 to usb board mounts. They are for converting legacy stuff to usb.

discriminator.nl is in control of PDW now. Though is it now open sourced and could possibly be forked.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
So I'm curious about the 4 level data slicer. I've always wanted to build one. It says there that you need a serial port and USB won't work, but will a PL2303 work? This is the one I found on eBay. RS232 RS 232 Serial to USB 2 0 PL2303 Cable Adapter Converter for Win 7 Mac OS | eBay
A PL2303 is a USB, so NO.

Please take note of the following explanation from www.discriminator.nl/rs232/index-en.html.. Particularly the last sentence.

PDW doesn't use the normal RS-232 TxD/RxD lines, but uses the status lines (CTS, DSR, DTR). The 'abuse' of these lines for PDW purposes does not comply with the standard RS-232 protocol. If you have direct control over the serial port (i.e. through a physical port) you can sample these lines without a problem. If you use a USB to RS-232 converter, all serial communications goes through the converter's driver and PDW doesn't have direct control.

--
Comint

Status
Not open for further replies.