Database Access for Developers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scan125

When I get time I would like to look at supporting RR in my free Scan125 program (Scan125 Control Program).

I've done some initial reading of the developers notes and something I've not yet discovered (unless I missed it) is any developer test interface/access to RR.

I don't want to subscribe to RR so was hoping that there was limited developer usage account where one can test one's code against RR.

If this facility does not exist could it be provided?

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
When I get time I would like to look at supporting RR in my free Scan125 program (Scan125 Control Program).

I've done some initial reading of the developers notes and something I've not yet discovered (unless I missed it) is any developer test interface/access to RR.

I don't want to subscribe to RR so was hoping that there was limited developer usage account where one can test one's code against RR.

If this facility does not exist could it be provided?

API - The RadioReference Wiki

Scan125

Yes this was the info I was referring to that I have read.

However I think that I'll be required to have a userid/pw/subscription to actually connect to the database to be able to test my code and check that the data extracted is in line with what I'm expecting.

Spitfire8520

I might be completely clueless! =)
It looks like the Premium Subscription was granted directly to your RadioReference account. The username and password should be what you use to login to the site.

Scan125

Now the access is sorted I've finally got round to looking at getting my Scan125 program to access the database. And thanks for the application ID safely received.

Two days and seriously struggling.

I will hold my hand high up and admit I've very little experience of web request programming so will admit now I'm a bit of a numb skull in this area.

I've looked at the Radio Reference programmers documentation and am still completely stumped. As I'm working in VB .NET the reference link for example/guidance yielded radio reference response. I've no way of knowing if my client ever woke the radio reference we server up.

I've also tried loads of other web examples to no effect.

I have users of my *free* Scan125 program desperately wanting RR database support.

What I need is some kind sole to send me (privately if appropriate) some sample VB .NET code of a simple example (eg. getuserdata).

I'm happy to admit that I think it is my formatted XML document that is woefully broken but I would have thought that when a SOAP server receives even just an unformatted (as in no envelope etc) "?" it would make some form of response.

Once I got a handshake exchange going then I'm sure I can proceed from there.

Would be nice for RR to have an example XML file with userid, pw, appid, and some method requests to build on. Web programming expertise is not on my agenda so proficiency in mastering web services is way off my radar.

Any help / pointers would be gratefully received.

Scan125

OK

I've finally got VB .NET to make web services calls to the RR WDSL database only to hit another problem which I will not be able to get round without using around 150 lines of unsupported binding code and custom message encoder/decoder.

The only other way is to manually create and handcraft sets of XML files which I'm not really wanting to do. The whole purpose of WDSL is to easily allow machines and developers to simply pass data using the development language/system (C, Java, C#, VB etc) support/libraries/services without having to write your own custom code just to handle an interface.

Bottom line is this:

The RR WDSL uses charset=ISO-8859-1

The in Visual Studio which supports latest XML preferred encoding standards uses UTF-8 or UTF-16 and thus supports all international languages.

I think it is rather odd that RR WDSL does not use UTF-8 / UTF-16.

Status
Not open for further replies.