Database Label "Mob"

Status
Not open for further replies.

SweetPee

I have retrieved some frequencies to scan, and I'm stumped on a couple of the column labels.

What does the column name "Mob" refer to in a list of frequencies given for an entity? Would this be the number of mobile units allowed with the callsign? It comes along with "Entity" "Callsign" "Frequency", etc.

Thank you -

SweetPee

cubn

Database Admin
I believe SweetPee is referring to pages like this one:
http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=knnk417

My understanding is that the MOB field is telling how many units are licensed for that particular class and frequency. In the case where the CLASS is MO then the MOB field is telling how many non-base units are licensed but for FB and FB2, the field is telling us how many base or repeaters are licensed.

The FCC ULS page lists this field as UNITS and not MOB as Radioreference.com shows it.

SkipSanders

Silent Key
'Mob' equals Mobile. Whether vehicle, or handheld. There is also an entry, for channels using them, for paging recievers. Yes, a license only allows a specific number of base, mobile, and paging receivers on each channel.

This is one reason why Joe Blow, SuperFirefighter, is not legally allowed to buy and program a radio, be it ever so 'Motorolarific', on his agency frequencies without their permission. They may already have all allowed units 'on the air'.

It's an area that can get public safety folks in trouble, of course, if they don't have committed license maintainance. 'Let's add 500 HT's to that 1000 Mobile units we have, the field boys will love it!'. Next station inspection: 'Uh, we get fined HOW much?' Not so much that you can't add units, but you have to keep the FCC and the frequency coordinators aware of exact use, so they don't assume you're using fewer than you are, now, and coordinate someone else onto your channel 'because it's not full yet' (according to THEIR records).

Status
Not open for further replies.