Database Use Strategies... Pro-197

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Folks,

I just bought a clearance RS Pro-197. This is not my first scanner, but first trunking and digital scanner.
I am looking for advice on the best strategy for programming this scanner using the RR Databases.

I got the cable, and software (TRIAL - limited use) from RS with the scanner.

I have a lot to learn about the scanner, so will likely hook it up AFTER using the radio with the preprogrammed data. I suspect that I will probably always manually program some things in addition to using the RR Databases (manually adding a few new objects to scan may be easier).

And I prefer NOT learning several different software user interfaces to find the best one (for me).

I would really like to pull the preprogrammed data from the scanner to look at it on my computer, however, because the software is considered a TRIAL license, you get 7 days of use. I have not activated it yet.

Q1- Can I link to the computer to see this data w/o using the TRIAL RS Software? [I realize I would need to install the device driver, but suspect this would require activating the license for the software]

Q2- Any idea how old the preprogrammed data is in the radio?

Q3- What update strategies do you employ with this radio? Meaning:
How frequently do you update?
What prompts your updates?
What percent of your programming is done manually vs. software & download database?

I really appreciate the work of all who contribute to this site.

Thanks!

DJ11DLN

Hi Folks,

I just bought a clearance RS Pro-197. This is not my first scanner, but first trunking and digital scanner.
I am looking for advice on the best strategy for programming this scanner using the RR Databases.

I have a lot to learn about the scanner, so will likely hook it up AFTER using the radio with the preprogrammed data. I suspect that I will probably always manually program some things in addition to using the RR Databases (manually adding a few new objects to scan may be easier).

And I prefer NOT learning several different software user interfaces to find the best one (for me).

I would really like to pull the preprogrammed data from the scanner to look at it on my computer, however, because the software is considered a TRIAL license, you get 7 days of use. I have not activated it yet.

Q1- Can I link to the computer to see this data w/o using the TRIAL RS Software? [I realize I would need to install the device driver, but suspect this would require activating the license for the software]

What percent of your programming is done manually vs. software & download database?

Thanks!

If you install the software, which you'll have to do to see the data on the radio, you'll start the trial period. The software that comes with the cable is adequate. Which kind you ultimately choose is largely a user-preference thing; what comes with the cable will get the job done. I prefer StarrSoft Win500, but that's just me. Don't forget the update the firmware and DSP before you start trying to program it. See this thread:http://forums.radioreference.com/radio-shack-scanners/296736-pro-197-update.html

How old is the data on the radio? Depends on when it was built, but it is definitely out of date and will be of little or no use.

I update mine weekly. I'm also relatively new to digital trunked scanners (thanks to the RS fire sale) but have been around scanners since I was a kid, going back close to 50 years. It's a learning curve but don't get discouraged, just keep fiddling with the software and you'll soon have it figured out, better than if you had someone -- or a dozen someones -- giving you sometimes conflicting advice about how to do it. For my money, the software is the way to go, even for individual objects I add from time to time...it's just very seamless and you can set it up, review it, make sure there are no errors, and save the config all before you make any changes to your scanner. But again, that's largely user preference, and if you're more comfortable manually programming stuff, by all means do it that way.

I'm very pleased with my Pro-197 so far -- especially in light of the price -- and I hope you enjoy yours as much. Have fun!

N8IAA

Hi Folks,

OLD!

I use a 106 and 197. Updating is not necessary if your conventional and trunk systems don't change a lot.
With the software, I personally use Win500, it's how I program the radio. With a RR premium subscription, I can import what I want from the database directly into the software and then upload it to the scanner.

Thanks!

Those who have a Home Patrol type scanner, or the GRE/RS digital/analog scanners sometimes get OCD about getting the updated full database every week.
I don't believe that there will be any new DSP or firmware updates for the 106/197 now that RS will be carrying the new Whistler scanners.
You've got a really good radio. Just remember, everything defaults to Scan List 1.
Larry

detroit780

Silent Key
Database Admin
Software

Try these for 30 days before buying.

PSREdit500 - Configuration Editor for the PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-106, and PRO-197 Scanners
Win500: WS1040, WS1065, PSR-500, PSR-600, PRO-651, PRO-652, PRO-106, PRO-197, PSR-310, PSR-410 Scanner Software for Data Management, Monitoring, and Control
Software for Uniden Whistler HOME PATROL HP1 HP-1 PRO-700 BCD436HP BCD536HP Radioshack GRE GRECOM MFJ DSE AOR police scanner software BCD996XT BCD396XT BC346T BCT15X PRO-404 PRO-405 PRO-97 PRO-96 PRO-2096 PRO-106 PRO-197 PRO-164 PRO-160 PRO-162 psr50

See which you like the best and buy it. They are good.

Les

Hi Folks,

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.