Dave Rambo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Davidarambo

i have a BCD436HP and really love it. I am new to this hobby and am still learning a considerable amount. lol The question i have is that you can set the unit with the zip code and then set the rage, which i did. 20 mile range the issue im having is that im not getting the full conversation of certain agencies. So i set up a favorites list and the set the specific channels as priority at 2 seconds. are there hidden frequencies that radio reference is unaware of? these are small communities and dont think thay are trunked or anything like that

elfaure

From a BCDx96XT user, I have no idea about your scanner:

Create a new conventional system then run a Search and Store and save all the frequencies it finds to that system. Then you can inspect what it finds and compare it to your database to see if you have any new frequencies.

Or you may be able to use the Close Call Hits temporary system to do the same thing if what you are looking for is close enough (closser than your closest programmed frequency).

Last edited:

marksmith

i have a BCD436HP and really love it. I am new to this hobby and am still learning a considerable amount. lol The question i have is that you can set the unit with the zip code and then set the rage, which i did. 20 mile range the issue im having is that im not getting the full conversation of certain agencies. So i set up a favorites list and the set the specific channels as priority at 2 seconds. are there hidden frequencies that radio reference is unaware of? these are small communities and dont think thay are trunked or anything like that
If these are just conventional frequencies (not trunked systems) they may not be going thru a repeater, meaning you might only hear the closest in-range simplex radio unit.

If you are clearly hearing one side of the conversation, and not hearing anything in response on the same frequency, this is likely the case. If it's a small community, it is likely there is no repeater.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The Radio Reference Database depends a lot of hobbyists submitting frequency information, etc. Sometimes smaller communities may not have information fully submitted due to a lack of listeners who submit information.

One thing you may wish to try is an FCC license search to see your community has been licensed for frequencies not posted. It'll take a little time for you to work though the search process if you are new to it. License Search

And of course if you discover something new, please post it.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber

If you know exactly what you want to scan, I would put it in the Favorites List you created. Then, I would select Menu> Set Scan Selection> Select List to Monitor. I would then make sure your Favorites List is on, and then turn the Full Database Off.

If you wish to monitor the Full Database, a 20 mile range is going to take way too long to scan, in most locations. You could bring the range to 0. And you could also select (through the menu) Select Service Types, and turn off the Service Types you are not interested in hearing.

Your issue may be simplex channels, as indicated. It can also be the scanner has so much to scan the way it is currently set, that it does not make its "rounds" back to the channel you are wishing to hear. The above should help speed the scanning up by reducing what you are listening to. If you are creating Favorites Lists (which I would, too), I would probably turn off the Full Database scan. Turn the FL on and listen to exactly what you want.

If you give us your location, we can probably give you more precise ideas. By the way, Welcome to RadioReference!

Davidarambo

Wow, thank you so much for all this advice. What a great way to start a new hobby!!! I will take your advice and then post my findings. @ Todd my location is actually around Baldwin/Charenton area. Thanks again everyone, I am thankful for your help and am honored to be in such a great community of people who enjoy this hobby.

Davidarambo

Ok, so far I realized that I was scanning way too much. When I entered my zip code I had it on 20 miles and discovered that there were several agencies being scanned. So I turned off a few of the agencies I didn't need to listen to and the gave me more air time with the agencies I really want to hear. I also discovered the hold button. That's pretty handy. When I want to listen to something interesting from an agency, I place that on hold to hear the full duration of their communication. Pretty awesome. I'm learning so much but have so much to learn yet. Lol

marksmith

Looks like most if your scanning is with conventional frequencies, but I see you have a giant state system with all kinds of stuff on it. Looks like there is a site in Baldwin, the only site in St. Mary, but you might be able to receive others. (Louisiana Wireless Information Network). Looks like the only area trunked system.

Mark
WS1095/536/436/996P2/HP1e/HP2e/996XT/325P2/396XT/PRO668/PSR800/PRO652

Status
Not open for further replies.