Day one with BCD536HP. Still Learning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wise871

Database Admin
Ok, I will be the first to report on the BCD536HP. I ordered two of them, one for my shack and the other for my Tahoe, and yes I paid for them as my debit account is still smoldering, hahahaha. FedEx arrived first thing this morning so I have all day to mess with them. I’m still getting use to everything coming from the XT and HP-1 but the interface is straightforward. The only thing slowing me down is the function knob is on the opposite side and I keep reach for it like the XT.

Like many of you I had already downloaded the software and configured my files. I unboxed both units and did the initial power on just like in UPMans video. I then hooked up my scanners to my computer and updated both the firmware and database. After that I installed my favorites. Everything went smooth and too my surprise I was right on with my files. When I first started scanning I noticed the scan rate was a little slow. I then realized that I had too much of a hold time and I set all my departments to ZERO hold. Now it scans nicely.

Now that both scanners were up and running it was time to mess with the WiFi settings. I setup my shack as Infrastructure Mode and the Tahoe in Access Point Mode. The menu was very simple.

I’m just getting started but I also wanted to pass on the audio sounds great. In my area I can monitor the DOD P25 380 system and the local county uses P25 Conventional. Both systems sound great from what I hear so far. Again I’m just getting started.

The things I need to get use too are the button operation, remember function knob is on left now and play around with the features. I posted a few pics of my setup. I plan on a video later today. The WiFi dongle fits perfect in front of my Jotto Console with double sided tape.

Attachments

• IMG_1021.jpg
    IMG_1021.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 4,055
  • IMG_1023.JPG
    IMG_1023.JPG
    106.8 KB · Views: 4,644
  • IMG_1024.jpg
    IMG_1024.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 5,835

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Very nice! Where did you order them from?

wise871

Database Admin
I wanted to note, I added S1, S2 etc in front of my system names until I remember what systems I have programed. I had my XT memorized so this helps for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Very nice! Where did you order them from?
We extended a direct offer to RR db admins. We got a few units early (pre clearing for QC) and I was able to grab those to fulfill the admin orders.

"Regular" (if there is such a thing) purchasers should be seeing them available next week some time from dealers.

No, I don't have any left over I could sell you. :)

n9mxq

Premium Subscriber
Rank hath it's privileges ;-) Nice to see them out "in the wild" Wish I could get one...or 3..hehe

SCPD

QRT

Can you post a video of a phase 2 signal so we can all see how this thing decodes?

Last edited:

wise871

Database Admin
Ok I have a few hours under my belt and I am still learning my way around. As I stated earlier the audio is very nice. The only Simulcast system near me is in Bay County Florida and I can’t pick them up till the evenings if conditions are just right.

Here is a small breakdown so far.

1. Control Layout: I’m still trying to get the hand of the shortcuts and knob placement. On my XT’s I can quickly manipulate the controls with ease without even looking at it. We just had a high-speed pursuit in my area and it took me a few to hold on the channel and setup record. I am use too the SCAN and HOLD button on the XT. I have to remember to use the CHANNEL HOLD. One minor item I discovered and this is just my observation is the volume and squelch knobs are too close together. When I adjust the volume knob my index finger wont make it between the volume and squelch. I have to turn it from the sides instead of grabbing it directly, sort of like rolling a pencil in your fingers. On the XT’s there is a bigger gap between the knobs. I’m also trying to get use to the Function Knob being on the opposite side :(. Train the brain ;)

2. Favorites: I thought my favorites were good to go. I have about 10 of them so I went through each one. I came across one that displayed Nothing To Scan. After digging around I went back into Sentential and I realized I forgot to check System Quick Keys in Favorites List. I used the software and re-uploaded because I couldn’t figure out exactly were to due it in the menu. Again this will come with time.

3. Display: I love all the information that is displayed on the scanner. The longer tags make it so much nicer. I run mine in 3-line mode. I find with it off, the fonts can be kind of small to read. When I wear my glasses, which I don’t when on my computer then this is not a problem for me. One downside for me, I have to use my left hand to use function knob. If I use my right hand I can't see the display.

4. GPS: What can I say? I took a quick trip in my area and the GPS function worked like a champ. Instead of using the HP-1 I’m using the 536.

Well I’m going to get back into the menus so I can get comfortable. I am very happy with my purchase. I do have one question, is FUNCTION – SYSTEM the same as RESUME SCAN on the XT. I have to back out of the menu to resume scan. There has to be an easier way.

Last edited:

TedRHayes

Ok I have a few hours under my belt and I am still learning my way around. As I stated earlier the audio is very nice. The only Simulcast system near me is in Bay County Florida and I can’t pick them up till the evenings if conditions are just right.

In my experience with the new P25 Simulcast system in Greene County, Ohio, the biggest issue is when I'm inside the County and am receiving relatively strong signals from multiple towers. I actually have fewer issues when I'm outside the County (e.g., to the West in Montgomery County) where I'm generally receiving a strong signal from only one tower.

I would suggest that to truly test the Bay County system, you will need to travel to the County where there are overlapping signals from multiple towers.

03msc

RF is RF
Premium Subscriber
In my experience with the new P25 Simulcast system in Greene County, Ohio, the biggest issue is when I'm inside the County and am receiving relatively strong signals from multiple towers. I actually have fewer issues when I'm outside the County (e.g., to the West in Montgomery County) where I'm generally receiving a strong signal from only one tower.

I would suggest that to truly test the Bay County system, you will need to travel to the County where there are overlapping signals from multiple towers.

This would be what's commonly referred to as "the simulcast issue". Uniden has said it is fixed or much better on these new scanners. Yes, these users who now have these new models can hopefully drive around in some simulcast areas soon and see how they handle it.

Status
Not open for further replies.