Dayton Attendees from RadioReference

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Folks,

I'm flying out bright and early tomorrow morning from San Antonio to Dayton for the Hamvention. Believe it or not, I don't even have my Ham license, but I'm looking forward to reviewing all the stuff for sale, all the product announcements, and all the vendor's displays.

I'm also going to be hanging around the ScannerMaster booth helping out and meeting folks who want to stop by and chat.

So, who's coming to Dayton? I'm looking forward to shaking, well, most of your hands.... :wink:

hoser147

Lindsay you might want to pack some rain gear or at least an umbrella. The forecast is calling for rain all but tommarrow. Hope to meet you and others there..............Hoser

EricCottrell

Premium Subscriber
blantonl said:
Folks,

I'm flying out bright and early tomorrow morning from San Antonio to Dayton for the Hamvention. Believe it or not, I don't even have my Ham license, but I'm looking forward to reviewing all the stuff for sale, all the product announcements, and all the vendor's displays.

I'm also going to be hanging around the ScannerMaster booth helping out and meeting folks who want to stop by and chat.

So, who's coming to Dayton? I'm looking forward to shaking, well, most of your hands.... :wink:
Hello,

Sorry I will not make it this year. I only go every two or three years and I went last year. If Scannermaster has their usual booth then you will be in the Ball Arena not too far from AOR.

Although Dayton is a Ham event, it also has computer, radio, electronics, and other stuff. Mendelson usually has a tent with all sorts of surplus. Radio Shack usually has a booth as well with some specials. There are people selling commercial two-way, pro sound, etc..., in the fleamarket.

I think a radio guy like you will not be bored. It takes me two days to go through the fleamarket and I still feel I do not do it justice.

Rain will usually cause a crush of people inside. If it is not raining Friday try to get around the inside as the inside exhibits are mobbed on Saturday and Sunday.

I hope you have such a fun time that you will attend again, hopefully a year I am attending.

73 Eric

N9JIG

Sheriff
hoser147 said:
Lindsay you might want to pack some rain gear or at least an umbrella. The forecast is calling for rain all but tommarrow. Hope to meet you and others there..............Hoser

Wouldn't be Dayton without rain!

Due to work commitments this will be the first year in several that I won't be there, I have worked the ScannerMaster booth for the past few years. Gonna miss that Thursday dinner at Grub Steak and Friday at the Chop House!

There are several vendors that specialize in antenna and coax connectors, you can spend hours and hundreds of dollars just on coax adaptors! I usually make a list of various sundries that I need to restock the junk boxes and usually make one or two major purchases each year. Last year I added a new dual bander (Alinco DR635) with accessories as well as an additional BC996 and a couple BC15's. Almost bought a WinRadio but just couldn't pull the plug.

I enjoyed seeing the new GRE's there, they were kind of introduced in an underground sort of way. Ended up with one each of the 500 and 600 eventually.

The outdoor flea markets have declined during the last decade, they used to have just about everything. These days the hobby is more computer related and more of appliance operation than tinkering. Of course I am a poster boy for that sort of thing myself! You can still find just about everything but it takes more work.

Make sure you have a place you can stash your purchases during the day so you don't have to lug them around all day or trudge back to the car.

KR4BD

I'll be there all three days and look forward to stopping by to say hi. I have been to about 30 Hamventions since 1975 and used to live about 5 miles north of Hara Arena (1973-83). The Hara facility is a dump but there is no other Ham Radio show like it. I am sure the folks in Dayton would love to have it in another facility, but there isn't anything in the area that could have such a show with such a huge, outdoor flea market. I always find some real bargains and it is a great place to see old friends. The weather this weekend is not expected to be great, but that's almost "normal" for the Hamvention. I also expect the crowds to be a little "light" due to the $4/gallon gas.

As the old saying goes at Dayton, look for me. I'm the guy with the callsign on my hat and the HT on my belt....

shaft

Im driving over to Dayton tommorow afternoon. I was hoping that this would be my first year there without rain, but it looks like the entire drive over will be wet as well.

I havent been to Hamvention in almost 20 years, so Im looking foward to it.

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
Hamvention!

Lindsay, I'll try and track you down sometime Friday and say Hi. :) Not sure what you look like but I'll ask around.

Last edited:

af5rn

I was seriously considering going. Looked up flights and everything. Then I found out that Ohio doesn't honour Texas concealed handgun licences, so they won't be getting any of my vacation money.

Have a good time, Lindsay. It's going to be fun!

VA3QRM

blantonl said:
Folks,

Bring some hand sanitizer Blantonl re: handshaking. May prod a ham friend of mine to go down on Saturday for the day. I think I have been to 10 or more; who's counting, and enjoyed them all. The VX-8R has caught my eye!

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Just checked into my room: Holiday Inn, Dayton Mall, 3rd floor. Anyone else here?
Weather tomorrow shows clouds, but slight chance of rain before 6AM.

KR4BD

Just returned from the Dayton Hamvention. Met Lindsay and renewed my membership for another year. I wonder what his reaction was to this annual event? There were Large crowds on Friday and Saturday and the weather actually cooperated all three days. On Sunday, I saw Radio Shack deeply discounting Digital scanners. Did not buy one since digital is not yet a "big issue" where I live. I imagine some new models are on the horizon and I'll wait for those.

DonS

DonS said:
I met Lindsay, Mike Vander Veer, Joe M., and a whole bunch of others.
Just remembered one of the "others", I think: Tom Swisher, WA8PYR

(My apologies for not remembering everybody... it was a long 3 days in the booth with an awful lot of visiting, talking, hand-shaking, demoing, etc. I only remembered Tom because I saw his name in a separate thread.)

Chris-KH2PM

Premium Subscriber
I was there Friday. Tall thin dude with glasses, blonde hair. Met both Lindsay , Gommert and Don. I'm not a 'regular' poster/contributor so my name wouldn't ring any bells. LOL

I knew to look for Lindsay but hadn't heard Don was going to be there. Of course I didn't bring a decent camera. I should have taken some pics with my cellphone camera.

I was monitoring a few VHF frequencies with my EFJ5100, and heard some P25 chatter but didn't get to meet up with anybody (most likely some Batlabs regulars).

It was nice meeting you all. Maybe next year we could arrange a common frequency, and an afternoon dinner gathering at a local restaurant.

DonS

Chris-N5CWM said:
hadn't heard Don was going to be there. Of course I didn't bring a decent camera.
WHIO (a Dayton CBS affiliate) had a camera, one that captured Don in the GRE booth. I saw evidence of this Saturday at 0630, while watching the local TV news from my hotel room.

I need to call the station to see if it's possible to get a copy of that news segment somehow.

Status
Not open for further replies.