Dayton City on MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

bucknut937

Premium Subscriber
I recently visited Dayton and I was in Greene county. I had Dayton PD and Fire in my scanner but I was unable to hear anything on the talkgroups. I know you have to be affiliated with the tower but I figured with it so close there be something.

Do I program my scanner just for the Dayton sites on my scanner.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
I recently visited Dayton and I was in Greene county. I had Dayton PD and Fire in my scanner but I was unable to hear anything on the talkgroups. I know you have to be affiliated with the tower but I figured with it so close there be something.

Do I program my scanner just for the Dayton sites on my scanner.

You need to program in the Montgomery County site, and Dayton. You will have better luck with Montgomery County.
The Dayton site carries a lot of Dayton Correctional Institution on it and it is located in the SW corner of town near the prison.

=======
Mark, N8ICW
Global DB Administrator

bucknut937

Premium Subscriber
Thanks so basically like the Columbus Ohio sites where the “CITY” is only on city site marcs and the other users use the other sites?

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Not at all. The Montgomery County site is a multicast site. As the are separate tower sites throughout the county. You can easily hear all City of Dayton services on the county site. Since Greene County as a metropolitan neighboring county, is also a multicast site. As such radio affiliation is kept to a minimum between the two sites.

--------
Mark, N8ICW
Global Database Administrator

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Not at all. The Montgomery County site is a multicast site. As the are separate tower sites throughout the county. You can easily hear all City of Dayton services on the county site. Since Greene County as a metropolitan neighboring county, is also a multicast site. As such radio affiliation is kept to a minimum between the two sites.

Montgomery County and Greene County are simulcast sites. The stand-alone sites are multicast.

TonyCono

Premium Subscriber
Montgomery County and Greene County are simulcast sites. The stand-alone sites are multicast.

If I am understanding correctly, I don't need to program in the Montgomery County freqs AND the Dayton freqs to hear county and Dayton radio traffic, correct?

If this is correct, under what circumstances would I use the Dayton freqs instead of the county?

Again, if this is correct, would I use the same logic when programing other jurisdictions (county freqs instead of the city freqs)?

n8yid

Premium Subscriber
If I am understanding correctly, I don't need to program in the Montgomery County freqs AND the Dayton freqs to hear county and Dayton radio traffic, correct?

If this is correct, under what circumstances would I use the Dayton freqs instead of the county?

Again, if this is correct, would I use the same logic when programing other jurisdictions (county freqs instead of the city freqs)?

I'll take a shot at this...

You are correct, in that you do not need to program in both the County and the City sites....

Think of it like such:

Law/PD/SO = County site
Corrections = Dayton site

Now, I'm not going to say don't program in the city site; because, some of the users may be in an area that they are carried on the City site, and not the County site...

You would only want to program in the City site if you primarily want to listen to Corrections traffic....(it does carry a lot of OSP traffic, tho....)

I'm not going to say that this is the "same" logic for other jurisdictions; I just know that this is how it seems to apply in the Dayton/Montgomery Co area....

Hope this helps,

TonyCono

Premium Subscriber
I'll take a shot at this...

You are correct, in that you do not need to program in both the County and the City sites....

Think of it like such:

Law/PD/SO = County site
Corrections = Dayton site

Now, I'm not going to say don't program in the city site; because, some of the users may be in an area that they are carried on the City site, and not the County site...

You would only want to program in the City site if you primarily want to listen to Corrections traffic....(it does carry a lot of OSP traffic, tho....)

I'm not going to say that this is the "same" logic for other jurisdictions; I just know that this is how it seems to apply in the Dayton/Montgomery Co area....

Hope this helps,

Yes that helps. I guess it is safe to continue programming both systems so that is probably what i will do. Thanks for your help!

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am in Fairborn and get Dayton PD loud and clear on Mont Co talkgroups and have them all in one fav list Dayton PD. I use my BCT15X as a callout scanner with all of the fire/ems dispatches for 3 counties programmed. On a few occasions I have heard Dayton PD dispatched on a Dayton fire frequency.

n8dhw

Premium Subscriber
The single site in question is not affiliated with the City of Dayton at all it just happens to be located within the city. The only site to be concerned with is the County Simulcast site which will carry all city traffic on it.

Dave W

Status
Not open for further replies.