Dayton Montgomery County Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing talk about upcoming rebanding of the Dayton / Montgomery county public safety systems. I’m thinking it might happen this year (still checking). If anyone has a date let us know.

Anyway, I will have to upgrade scanners as my Pro 95 and 97 do not support rebanding (as far as I know). So, do I go analog or digital $. I looked at the MARCS database and don’t see much I would monitor. But…I wonder if the larger Montgomery county depts.. will switch over to MARCS in the semi-near future, say five yrs out. Has anyone heard of such plans? And, is there anything else digital in the Miami Valley area besides the MARCS system?

Thank you

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
I am hearing talk about upcoming rebanding of the Dayton / Montgomery county public safety systems. I’m thinking it might happen this year (still checking). If anyone has a date let us know.

They're getting ready to move, I just don't recall exactly when; however, if they do get to the infrastructure changes (actually changing the system frequencies) this year, it will probably be Q3 or Q4.

Anyway, I will have to upgrade scanners as my Pro 95 and 97 do not support rebanding (as far as I know). So, do I go analog or digital $. I looked at the MARCS database and don’t see much I would monitor. But…I wonder if the larger Montgomery county depts.. will switch over to MARCS in the semi-near future, say five yrs out. Has anyone heard of such plans?

If you can handle the money, I recommend you go for digital. If budget is a major issue, stick with a decent new analog scanner.

Don't look for any mass migration to MARCS of Montgomery County agencies to happen. MARCS in it's current configuration would not be able to support the loading and is very close to running out of radio IDs.

Down the road after MARCS has been upgraded to the P25 (Motorola 7.x platform) you might see the Montgomery County system migrate to P25 digital and be connected to MARCS, which is something that might or might not happen in other areas of the state as well. A lot of details have to be worked out before that could happen.

And, is there anything else digital in the Miami Valley area besides the MARCS system?

Other than MARCS, Hamilton County and Butler County, no.

Last edited:

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
Yes, I will go digital. But I'm also buying one for my Dad and he wont need it. Thanks.

WM8L

I have not heard of any plans of Montgomery County going digital. They finally have their new comm center up and running good in Miamisburg at the new Mound facility.

Montgomery County Comm Center is supposed to take over City of Dayton's communications and that will just about put the entire county under a metro/county type of comm center like Hamilton County has. I have heard on local news possible as soon as May or June for the change over.

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
According to a Dayton Daily News article last week, the public safety services for the City of Dayton will move to the Montgomery County System and all public services will move to the Dayton System. It will be run like Franklin County has been doing for sometime now. That expected switch over is sometime in September.

firemanoh

I have heard that rebanding is starting very soon. I also heard they are looking at a new template for the Montgomery County fire departments.

drkbird

OM
Premium Subscriber
Dbsar , if you get a digital scanner you might pick up Fairborn PD on 155.5350 nac 253 also. When they first switched over to Astro they thought no one could hear them. That was funny!

Don't believe everything you read on here or DDN, like

"public safety services for the City of Dayton will move to the Montgomery County System and all public services will move to the Dayton System."

Not going to happen in in this decade. They will need millions to build a new system for county wide coverage. The two systems are not designed to cover it all, just for each set of current users.

And yes there will be lots of changes in the fire template (at rebanding) in the user's radios.

minniemaiqq

All in 1 ??

Hi everybody. I haven't updated my scanner freq. since montgomery county took over all the suburbs dispaching about 3yr ago. I DID enjoy listening only to local traffic, not everything happening in all of montomery county. Well, with all the local excitement in my neighborhood, I decided to plug the scanner into my computer, update my frequencies & such, to hear the details. OK saying all that, my question is this ..... is there Any way to hear traffic for ONLY West Carrollton and also Moraine ?? Or do I HAVE to hear all of Montgomery Countyl ? I tried the open/close bank thing and I'd either get too much , or not enough traffic. Ideas anyone? Thank you, it's greatly appreciated.

minniemaiqq

Got It

Ahhh nevermind, I believe I have it now. I downloaded from the database, directly into my WC/Moraine bank. It seems to be working fine. Somehow I messed up while trying to move them manually. I did move the control channels and trunking ID's , but I must have missed some. I'm not worried about it, have it corrected now. (using Win97 )

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
Update: P&R is in the process of updating the software on user agency radios and anticipates switching over within 6 months. The freq. is going down 15 MHz. From what I know, most scanners will still be able to tune in that range. Exception would be Dayton frequencies, as they would be down in the area of 841-845.0000 ish. That falls in the cellular band: 824 - 848.9875 which my scanner won’t tune. Has the cellular band changed?

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
Dayton already uses frequencies below 866 MHz they cannot drop 15 MHz. They will have to move their frequencies into the 851-854 MHz range as will all public safety systems. All of Montgomery County's frequencies are above 866 MHz thus they will have to drop into the 851-854 MHz range as long as there is no conflict with a nearby system, then they should just drop all their current frequencies 15 MHz.

mikey60

Update: P&R is in the process of updating the software on user agency radios and anticipates switching over within 6 months. The freq. is going down 15 MHz. From what I know, most scanners will still be able to tune in that range. Exception would be Dayton frequencies, as they would be down in the area of 841-845.0000 ish. That falls in the cellular band: 824 - 848.9875 which my scanner won’t tune. Has the cellular band changed?

Looking at the Database, The City of Dayton system should have very few if any changes from where it is now as far as frequencies are concerned.

The Montgomery County system will move down 15 MHz, assuming all previous users in the 851-853.9875 users have been moved out of that range.

Mike

dbsar

Premium Subscriber
I was told Dayton would be rebanding only three of their frequencies, and that everything (Mont County & 3 Dayton) would be going down by 15 MHz. Thanks for the info (s).

Last edited:

Katmandu

What frequencies is OSP District 5 using ?

I just bought a Pro-106 (pre-programmed with OSP District 5), Miami and Montgomery Counties.

I'm picking up most everything EXCEPT OSP transmissions.

Why can't I get them ??

radioscan

Radio Sensei
Database Admin
First off it is considered very poor internet etiquette to hijack another person's thread by asking a completely different question from the original subject. Please search for an existing thread on the subject in question, or start your own "new" thread.

To answer your question, create a new "TSYS" Object and program in the
control channel frequencies from these MARCS sites:

Zone 1 - 712D

Site 33 Dayton
Site 34 Springfield
Site 35 Greenville
Site 36 Sidney

Program in the following talkgroup IDs:

1472 PIQUA (OSP D5)
1488 POST 55 TAC

That allow you to get OSP D5 on your Pro-106.
You should also create a wildcard talkgroup and use it to capture
new IDs as your scanner receives them.

Katmandu

First off it is considered very poor internet etiquette to hijack another person's thread by asking a completely different question from the original subject. Please search for an existing thread on the subject in question, or start your own "new" thread.
I'm aware of that. I've been on many message boards a very, very long time..... I should have clarified my posting more.

I thought maybe I was not receiving OSP District 5 (in Montgomery County) because it may have been rebanded. Hence, related to the OP topic.

agent719

Bearcat 895xlt works after dayton reband

I was told Dayton would be rebanding only three of their frequencies, and that everything (Mont County & 3 Dayton) would be going down by 15 MHz. Thanks for the info (s).

I just added the new Dayton freqs and my Bearcat 895XLT is trunking with no problem. Yeah no new scanner for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.