Dayton Power & Light Company | Harris OpenSky

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remington12G

GØT AES?
Locally here in Scott County, KY we just put in a new P25 system. The company being AMK Services, AMK has a list of Project Experiences on its website. It doesn't mention directly what regional electric provider in Western Ohio using a 19 site system but doing some research I found that Dayton Power & Light Company has licenses in their name for Harris OpenSky (SMR 4-Slot). Yes, I know OpenSky can't be monitored unless you have an agency programmed radio. Do they still use this system? Can this be added to the RR Database?

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Locally here in Scott County, KY we just put in a new P25 system. The company being AMK Services, AMK has a list of Project Experiences on its website. It doesn't mention directly what regional electric provider in Western Ohio using a 19 site system but doing some research I found that Dayton Power & Light Company has licenses in their name for Harris OpenSky (SMR 4-Slot). Yes, I know OpenSky can't be monitored unless you have an agency programmed radio. Do they still use this system? Can this be added to the RR Database?

It can be added to the database if it's been physically monitored and confirmed on the air.

Last I heard DP&L was using something like Motorola Harmony or something else un-monitorable, but not OpenSky. AEP had converted their Indiana-Michigan Power territory over to OpenSky a few years back, but they're dumping it and converting everything over to P25.

Apart from a few suckers, OpenSky appears to be fading away; as I understand it, OpenSky was never really designed for voice use and doesn't perform very well for it, but works OK for data.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Dayton Power & Light have some pending FCC applications for updates of microwave links in the Fort Recovery / Coldwater / Rossburg / Greenville areas.

Dayton Power & Light also has some modifications occurring on WNUX611, namely deleting Aberdeen and Manchester (both in Adams Co) sites from the trunked license.

Might be some precursor activity to their upgrading to P25. Food for thought.

DPL Google Map

Status
Not open for further replies.