Dayton/Xenia Hamvention

Golay

I don't see a thread about Hamvention yet. Thought I'd start one with a question for those who have been to Xenia. I have not been since they left Hara.

A couple of clubs near me run bus there. When I did go, I'd take a bus 'cuz it was nice to be dropped off and picked up right at the door. And you could load up anything you bought at the curb, not lug it 1/4 mile to some parking lot.

How close is parking at the fairgrounds? If it's a lot closer than the outlying lots were around Hara, I may just drive myself. The bus trips this year are around $80. That don't include admission. I can do a round trip on a tank of gas.

Thanks

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Attached is a map that I downloaded from the Hamvention website in 2022 which was the last year I attended. I don't think the layout of things has changed much. However, I'd watch their website for current information.

The main gate is kinda in the middle of this drawing just above the red rectangle labeled "Tickets". ADA parking is in the D and H areas. Attendee parking is in the A, B, E, and I areas. The shuttle buses from remote parking load/unload on a paved lot to the left of lot D. The lettered lots (A, B, C, D, E, H) are grass. Those lots are used for parking during the fair which is in July. During the summer, that turf is very firm. However, in the spring, when Hamvention is held, that turf can get pretty soft in low areas. The parking staff will do what they can to keep you out of soft or muddy areas. The Hamvention runs shuttle golf cars that run between the lots and the main gate.

Attachments

• Guest-Site-Map.pdf
    455.5 KB · Views: 27

Golay

Thanks AK9R. Still debating driving myself on Friday. or taking a bus on Saturday.
Right now I'm leaning towards driving Friday and getting in the lots an hour early.
Maybe two or three hours early if they let me in the lot. I'm sure I can fall asleep and get a nap in once I get parked.
I should be able to do a round trip on less than one tank of gas. Three hour drive. Taking a bus would be $70.

K7UDZ

Premium Subscriber
I will be there, and will be setting up a 70cm amateur Type II HamTrunk™!

Instructions and system keys may be found here.

Hope to see y'all on the air!