• Effective immediately we will be deleting, without notice, any negative threads or posts that deal with the use of encryption and streaming of scanner audio.

We've noticed a huge increase in rants and negative posts that revolve around agencies going to encryption due to the broadcasting of scanner audio on the internet. It's now worn out and continues to be the same recycled rants. These rants hijack the threads and derail the conversation. They no longer have a place anywhere on this forum other than in the designated threads in the Rants forum in the Tavern.

If you violate these guidelines your post will be deleted without notice and an infraction will be issued. We are not against discussion of this issue. You just need to do it in the right place. For example:
    https://forums.radioreference.com/rants/224104-official-thread-live-audio-feeds-scanners-wait-encryption.html

Daytona Editorial

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

Interesting editorial opinion on access to public safety communications:

Editorial

( Sorry, that's Daytona Beach )

-rick

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Except for the glaring errors about being able to crack the encryption code by spending a lot of money...

"Philadelphia when that city's police department switched to encrypted communications, but it wasn't long before those willing to pay for expensive decoders could get them;"

No, only the media was permitted.

"Blanket encryption in the Flagler County Sheriff's Office's case -- where most crime doesn't fall in the category of urban murders and drug-dealing -- will end up shutting out mostly those who listen to police communications for good purposes."

No, it will shut out those who listen to police comms for any purposes.

"For that, scanner buffs and others will have to invest in more expensive technology that outwits encryption."

No such technology exists now or will ever.

Nice try - but probably does more harm to the hobby by letting people know that if you are rich you can break encryption...

Last edited:

STiMULi

That editorial inspired me to write the chief of police of a small (minded) municipality in the Tucson Metro area that has decided to encrypt all communications.

A portion of my email...

I have been a Public Service worker for years serving the communities I lived in for both a living and as a volunteer. I never thought that I would live in or near an area in my country, my state, that would feel the need to encrypt all police communications.

Having listened to the Tucson Police Department and the professionalism that is displayed from the Communications center to the officers on the street it makes me wonder what Marana Police has to hide.

red8

hey Scott,
i agree with you 100% it feels as if these agencies rural where the
only thing they have to worry about some bodies cows getting
loose is the only thing that goes on why would they want to go
encrypted. i mean the only crime in these rural areas is virtually
nil. the occasional "Otis the town drunk ala Mayberry " with Andy
Barney keepin an eye on the town.
red8
aka drunk in public
Barney don't take that gun out now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.