DB-224A questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

N5TWB

Decibel Products website shows this antenna to have a bandwidth of 150-160 mHz. The website also shows an E model for the 2 meter band. Anybody with experience using the A model in 2 meters, how much is the SWR affected or is it totally out of the question for use at 2 meters?

Additional question -- what is the value of one of these new and what would you expect to pay for a used antenna? I have recently become aware of an antenna being taken out of service that I may have an opportunity to buy.

prcguy

I use one mostly for receiving VHF public service but occasionally transmit on 2m. I don’t remember the match being anything to worry about and I am feeding it with 75ft of 1/2” hardline, so the VSWR is not being hidden by lots of lossy coax. The lower frequency version has longer elements and the phasing harness is also larger. Technically it should have a slight down tilt on 2m in addition to other losses, but frankly mine works better than other 2m antennas that advertised more gain. You could cut the ends of the folded dipole elements and extend them with tubing and make a new harness from RG-11 but it might work fine as-is.
prcguy

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
The DB-224A works just fine in the ham bands. db has said in the past that the gain will be off as the antenna isn't as efficient out of band, but it's not noticable to the end user that is in full capture.

You may see an increased VSWR, but like prc stated, if your on a tower the hardline will mask the increased VSWR which is usually around 2.0 to 1 if your in the 146/147 freq range.

As to what a used one will cost, hard to say. I have seen them going for $150, for ones that need to be cleaned up and really clean ones at $400. It really depends on the shape and age.

N5TWB

Ks4vt

Thanks for the information on potential price and VSWR. This antenna will eventually be sold via an internet auction (not eBay) so I wanted know what I might have to bid to be successful.

gcgrotz

They are well built too. I've seen them survive lightning where a fiberglass colinear would be vaporized, as well as wind and ice. For the right price, I wouldn't hesitate. Check Tessco or Hutton for prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.