DB sez this is FHP. How can I hear it better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

canoeboater

Premium Subscriber
I am listening from St. Augustine using a RS Pro-197 (GRE equivalent) scanner.

I've read the posts that say FHP is encrypted and can't be monitored.

I've also loaded the conventional VHF hi-band frequencies listed as Common Highway Patrol Frequencies on this page: Highway Patrol Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Of these frequencies, 154.655 is active in my area and sounds like FHP. The database indicates that is what it is, with a CT of 156.7. Can anyone confirm?

Also, I am looking for advice on how I can hear it better. Here's what's going on. I get a very strong carrier, but the audio volume is low and slightly distorted. I can understand it, but I need to turn the volume up to do it. If I am monitoring any other bands and setting the volume for those frequencies, the audio volume here is so low that I don't hear it very well.

Has anyone had any success tweaking this to hear it better?

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin
Also, I am looking for advice on how I can hear it better. Here's what's going on. I get a very strong carrier, but the audio volume is low and slightly distorted. I can understand it, but I need to turn the volume up to do it. If I am monitoring any other bands and setting the volume for those frequencies, the audio volume here is so low that I don't hear it very well.

I'm not in Florida and do not monitor those frequencies, but perhaps i can give you a helpful suggestion.

You could start by setting the AudioBoost to on for the frequency in question. This should increase the volume of that articular frequency without affecting your audio acrosss the board for all frequencies. On a PRO-197, Audioboost ON is an option for conventional frequencies that you program in.

Agencies using the frequencies you are monitoring may have narrowbanded (i.e. updated their radio equipment to use the narrowband emissions (typically 11 Khz vs the old 20 Khz).

In those instances, if you have the frequency programmed as "FM", you will often notice strong signal strength but very weak audio. You might want to try setting the frequency to "NFM" (for narrowband FM) and then setting AudioBoost to ON.

If the agency you are listening to has in fact narrowbanded, it makes more sense to set it to NFM so that the scanner uses a narrower audio filter on those frequencies.

NOTE: If the transmissions on the frequency you are monitoring are NOT narrowband and you set the mode to NFM, you may notice a harder time understanding what the users are saying because the NFM filter is cutting off some of the frequency response. If this happens, set it back to FM and just use AudioBoost to boost the audio on that particular frequency.

Mike

Last edited:

radiomanNJ1

The Florida Highway Patrol and other state agencies such as Florida Wildlife Commison, Florida DOT Officers etc.are stuck attempting to use the SLERS radio system which is 100% encrypted and a Harris Edacs system.

The FHP cars do not have VHF radios nor do they carry VHF portables.

Perhaps someone somewhere is using their still licensed channel or there is some patch running but that is not the norm.

Forget about the post about audio boost and narrowbanding.

I've also loaded the conventional VHF hi-band frequencies listed as Common Highway Patrol Frequencies on this page: Highway Patrol Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Of these frequencies, 154.655 is active in my area and sounds like FHP. The database indicates that is what it is, with a CT of 156.7. Can anyone confirm?

gccflscan

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned

FHP and the rest of the state was snookered into the SLERS EDACS Encrypted ProVoice "system."

FHP cars have no VHF, just the 800MHz for the SLERS. In a few cases the local 800MHz radios for local systems managed to survive, but not long, as they were yanked too.

Interop is done via the 800MHZ ITAC channels, and the fiber fed network that allows some state PSAP's to patch into local groups/systems.

154.665 is an OLD FHP repeater, but these were all decommissioned as part of the SLERS "contract"[scam] and sold off as junk materials by CII & Harris (x-MaCom(x-Tyco Toys(x-.....)))

In the rare chance that some one is patching the SLERS group to the old VHF for, it won't last...

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
Just want to point out that here in South Florida, one of the old FHP frequencies, 154.695, is being used by the State Department of Transportation as a vehicular repeater channel, with a PL of 151.4. So it's possible that 154.665 may be in use by the DOT or some other agency and not actually the FHP.

Code_Brown

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
FHP and the rest of the state was snookered into the SLERS EDACS Encrypted ProVoice "system."

FHP cars have no VHF, just the 800MHz for the SLERS. In a few cases the local 800MHz radios for local systems managed to survive, but not long, as they were yanked too.

Interop is done via the 800MHZ ITAC channels, and the fiber fed network that allows some state PSAP's to patch into local groups/systems.

154.665 is an OLD FHP repeater, but these were all decommissioned as part of the SLERS "contract"[scam] and sold off as junk materials by CII & Harris (x-MaCom(x-Tyco Toys(x-.....)))

In the rare chance that some one is patching the SLERS group to the old VHF for, it won't last...

Hmmm.. Is that so? I hear FHP talk to fire on daily in my county. So they still have radio`s for county 800mhz systems.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber

The 154.655 is the tac channel for FHP that channel is close to sjcso> 154.650 PL 156.7 that is the SJCSO tac 3..Check out the saint johns county/saint augustine RRDB St. Johns County, Florida (FL) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference I live in St Aug city limits and couldn't pick up the FHP vhf since they switched to FUSLERS

On the 154.655 156.7 do you hear them running plates or person(s) on that channel? If so that is not the FHP channel.

Last edited:

trooper890

154.665 was FHP's old F1. 154.655 isn't a valid frequency, and is 5kc off of 154.65, which is licensed to numerous agencies in Florida, still in active use by several. Thats what you are probably hearing.

You can be absolutely sure 154.665 is no longer used by FHP anywhere in the state, except perhaps in some rare simplex use by the auxillary here and there.

gcr33

The thread which was someone hearing a VHF channel and believing it was/is FHP is what started this.

They only have HARRIS/TYCO Edacs radios on 800 mhz. Either your non specified county is an EDACS user and they have a talkrgoup on the county system or there is a patch of some kind. The State SLERS system and all it's talkgroups are encrypted. The troopers/state officers and stations have the 800 NPSPAC and State Mutual Aid channels which can be patched if setup that way.

Hmmm.. Is that so? I hear FHP talk to fire on daily in my county. So they still have radio`s for county 800mhz systems.

gcr33

Thanks for this post. Are they using this on all of their low band channels?

Just want to point out that here in South Florida, one of the old FHP frequencies, 154.695, is being used by the State Department of Transportation as a vehicular repeater channel, with a PL of 151.4. So it's possible that 154.665 may be in use by the DOT or some other agency and not actually the FHP.

trooper890

I'll buy you hear FHP on local systems. Especially in the more rural areas. There are troopers have VHF/UHF/800 radios provided by local agencies, and some own their own and have them setup by the locals.

Can't say I blame them..

Status
Not open for further replies.