DC Connector for Pro106

Status
Not open for further replies.

GumbyCT

Am I the only one having trouble finding the correct size DC coaxial plug to fit the Pro-106?

I bought a Universal DC adapter with 7 different sized coax plugs but the ones that seem to fit you have to wiggle and struggle to get the radio to stay on.

Just as soon as you take your hand off the plug the radio goes back off.

I couldn't find a RS p/n for a recommeded adapter either. If someone has the number for something that works, I will give it a try.

Thanks

rmiller818

Bring it into your radio shack and try them until you find the right one.

Be careful as they seem to have changed their lettering scheme as I remember always buying the C adapter but the last one I bought was the same size but lettered "B" so be careful. Like I said, take it in and try it in the store before you buy.

GumbyCT

The 'C' plug fit perfect. $6.99

The kid tried to sell me the AC adapter too for $20.89 - when I asked about the plug being included with the adapter he said it wasn't.

So I guess "Included adaptaplug of your choice" - written on the box - doesn't mean what I thought.

But yea the 'C' plug has me up and running now.

Thanks.

Last edited:

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Take your sales receipt back to the store (Or any other Radio Shack) and get a refund on the adapter tip. You might have has a seasonal employee that did not know how to change the price of the adapter tip to $0

W4EMS

Premium Subscriber
Agree. When you buy the wall wart they throw in one tip free.
Just bought the pigtail (which is overpriced) but the C-tip was free.

GumbyCT

Done - I returned it today, to the same kid.

I want to pickup one of the 273-350 pigtails so I can make a power cord for the car, with a lighter plug. The young kids don't know what a cigarette lighter plug is either ;)

Think I'll try another store.

It turns out the size tip I needed was included with the Universal supply.

Guess I just didn't check what looked like was way too small.

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
B & C both seem to fit but C is the correct one

Bring it into your radio shack and try them until you find the right one.

Be careful as they seem to have changed their lettering scheme as I remember always buying the C adapter but the last one I bought was the same size but lettered "B" so be careful. Like I said, take it in and try it in the store before you buy.

rmiller818

I will have to compare them again, but the old ones I have marked "C" and the new one I have that is marked "B" were exactly the same when I compared them as I recalled. I will have to take a picture when I get the chance.

StingrayJG

Premium Subscriber
I just bought a pro-106 before x-mas via the RS website but did not want to get the adapter until it arrived at my house specifically for this reason. I took the scanner with me to my local RS store and along with a salesperson tried all the adaptaplugs they had there. The one that fit was labeled "B". I'm using it right now as we speak. No problems at all.
Also, make sure you get an adapter that is 9V and at least 500mA or more. The manual mentions the 500mA minimum requirement specifically or you may risk damaging the unit. They only had 9V adapters with 300 and 800mA so I purchased the latter with the "B" adaptaplug.
Hope this helps. I don't know if they changed their lettering format for the adaptaplugs but I can tell you with 100% certainty that I'm using a "B" right now and it fits and works perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.