DC Fire Buffs radio frequency / and other ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireboat61

Premium Subscriber
Firebuffs

Frequency Input License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
452.97500 457.97500 WPOX401 RM 103.5 PL CitywideRad Citywide Radio FMN Media

I saw this listed and was wondering how often it is used. I like the idea of this. It mixes a little bit of amateur with fire dept incidents. I have had the idea before of having these types of channels exist in cities like Baltimore or possibly a regional use like " mid Atlantic " which would allow conversation between interest groups during fire incidents "Buffs". I have a lot of questions on how to get something like this established and of course funds to support this. I also think if the repeaters would be digital mode capable then 99% of the time the transmissions would be clear. I'm pretty sure there would be enough interest with Baltimore City fire incidents alone for this to be an active repeater. My idea is to expand this to include larger areas like, Baltimore Metro, PGCo Fire , Maryland's Eastern Shore & Beaches, ect. This would be another tool of info sharing similar to how active incident text messages are sent to cell phones. This would be an active repeater discussing incidents as they occur.

Thoughts and idea's ?

Mr_Boh

Has anyone ever listened to this frequency or know if it is still active ?

Yes it's still active. I don't know who manages it but during daylight it's very active covering DC/PG/MoCo/NoVa incidents.

It's on all of my stuff that can monitor it but I don't seek it out.

I agree I want to see some sort of B/W scanner network to cover this but these repeater networks aren't as popular as they used to be with cell phones. We had one in New England that was awesome. Incidents would actually be paged with two tones so you could monitor the repeater with a minitor

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
That frequency used to also be used in NYC, first by Turner Broadcasting then Shadow traffic. Not sure what is used for now there was also a buff group on it for some years, and if I am not mistaken it was also used in the Boston area same frequency and PL for Shadow traffic and a another buff group.
I will have to listen to it the next time I go down south. Normally I just listen to the FD on their trunking system.

Last edited:

ecps92

Not in Boston for 452.9750

Media and Fire Buff - Scan New England Wiki

The above link is the active Networks
That frequency used to also be used in NYC, first by Turner Broadcasting then Shadow traffic. Not sure what is used for now there was also a buff group on it for some years, and if I am not mistaken it was also used in the Boston area same frequency and PL for Shadow traffic and a another buff group.
I will have to listen to it the next time I go down south. Normally I just listen to the FD on their trunking system.

ecps92

452.9750 was the Boston Herald back then, not a Notification Network
453.0000 was the Boston Globe back then, also not a Notification Network

Shadow was 450/455

80/90's was Boston Citywide (Sparks Assoc) and Metro Radio (MRS)
and many others as you went North/South and West of Boston
CRS, Metro West, Tac9, Merrimack Valley, NH Statewide etc etc

But we've moved well off-topic for the DC/MD forums :)

How far back do your records go, I am talking 70's for Turner and 80's and 90's for Shadow in NYC and Boston.

Dispatcher308

Premium Subscriber
Firebuffs

Frequency Input License Type Tone Alpha Tag Description Mode Tag
452.97500 457.97500 WPOX401 RM 103.5 PL CitywideRad Citywide Radio FMN Media

I saw this listed and was wondering how often it is used. I like the idea of this. It mixes a little bit of amateur with fire dept incidents. I have had the idea before of having these types of channels exist in cities like Baltimore or possibly a regional use like " mid Atlantic " which would allow conversation between interest groups during fire incidents "Buffs". I have a lot of questions on how to get something like this established and of course funds to support this. I also think if the repeaters would be digital mode capable then 99% of the time the transmissions would be clear. I'm pretty sure there would be enough interest with Baltimore City fire incidents alone for this to be an active repeater. My idea is to expand this to include larger areas like, Baltimore Metro, PGCo Fire , Maryland's Eastern Shore & Beaches, ect. This would be another tool of info sharing similar to how active incident text messages are sent to cell phones. This would be an active repeater discussing incidents as they occur.

Thoughts and idea's ?

Maryland Fire Network used to lease repeaters in the Baltimore Metro area and it went out when MFN went out, I just dont see that much of a genre for it anymore.

Nate

Status
Not open for further replies.