DC PD stolen radio equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giddyuptd

Premium Subscriber
No politics, no who's who. Radio discussion only.

Noticed a few news articles that said some DC PD were stripped of gear including 2 way radios in the Capitol incident.

Being full time E, and well built system are they able to inhibit, track and kill or kick said radios to a dummy talkgroup and have any been recovered yet?

Is over the air rekeying going to occur since some are stolen or lost in questionable hands?

GlobalNorth

Premium Subscriber
Much depends on what radio brand, model, and how it is optioned out. DC PD? Capitol PD? Park Police?

Theft of radios is rather dumb.

phillydjdan

Capitol PD may not be on the DC radio system, so if they aren't, stun/kill may not be available

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
The initial cops that got overrun because there wasn't enough of them were the Capitol building police which is a separate entity. Once reinforced police or federal agents came I'm sure they weren't overrun and had radio stolen. Right? So it was the Capitol building police?

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
Yep the Capitol Police charged with protecting Congress are on a p25 phase 1 encrypted system. They are the ones that got beat up pretty good and the dead officer was part of that department. I would think it was their radios that were stolen?

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Anything that involves security in DC at the Capitol building or the White House, especially radios, I would think would have a specific radio ID. They should be able to brick the radios in question.

Yeah I would imagine they can be easily bricked if they wanted to. On the other hand, they might just leave them on long enough to triangulate their location by "forcing" them to transmit.

Yeah its dumb to steal a radio, particularly modern era radios. Too easy to get caught with them. But then stupidity has led to the arrest of many criminals.

Jimru

Premium Subscriber
One officer who was interviewed and said his radio was stolen was from the Metro PD. They use P25 Phase 2.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Yes but they can only brick if still in range. People could have fled area of system and unable to be killed

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yes but they can only brick if still in range. People could have fled area of system and unable to be killed

But then they wouldn't be able to hear the radio traffic anyway.
And since it's a trunked system, they just deauthorize the radio in the controller.

Encryption keys can be rolled for all the other radios. Not a big deal, if they have their system set up right.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
One officer who was interviewed and said his radio was stolen was from the Metro PD. They use P25 Phase 2.
Just to clarify, Metropolitan Police Department; will also have a Metro Transit Police Department.

cpetraglia

That's correct. If I'm not mistaken, his badge was found burried in the back yard of one of the rioters in up-state NY. I don't recall if the same idiot had his radio or not. Social media will get you caught every time.

Status
Not open for further replies.