DC Police Radio System History.

Status
Not open for further replies.

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Just curious if any one knows the history of the Metro Police DC radio system. I recently picked up on eBay a former MPDC Astro Saber. When did they switch from UHF to the current system they use?

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Its been like 2 years now i believe. I been looking at them Astro Sabers. Are they good?

I should have mine tomorrow. The firmware in them are pretty recent, and they are the 1 meg vocons so they should be good.

gesucks

Premium Subscriber
ADMINs - Please change the title of this thread to either MPD-DC or DC Police so that people do not get confused with the METRO (WMATA) UHF radio system

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Done and thanks for the post report. We seldom see requests when they're buried in a thread.

DDC185

MPDC switched to their 7/800 MHz P25 trunked system in 2013 and shut down the UHF infrastructure shortly thereafter.

The Astro Sabers were in circulation since the mid/late 1990s. First only in analog and in 2003 in digital when the department went to their smartzone trunking system.

I don't recall the date, but a few years prior to moving to 7/800MHz in 2013, MPDC encrypted their UHF system. At that point, the department pulled all the Astro Sabers as they did not have encryption modules installed and portable users went from a mix of ASII's and XTS radios to XTS radios only.

So your ASII likely has been out of service for 5+ years, but likely more than 12 years as the vast majority of the department had transitioned to XTS radios in the early 2000s.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
Gotta watch the xts3000 that are also being sold as Ive heard they had ASK on them. They recently been surplusing major loads of uhf equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.