DE System Is Vulnerable?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillQuinn

Since the incident at the Lums Pond Site, I've been wondering, "how vulnerable is Delaware's Public Safety system?". If the only thing you have to do is knock out the Lums Pond site, then I think it is very vulnerable. Both the main system and the back up system failed and public safety communications were confined to the 800 MHz I-TAC channels. What would happen if the ITAC channels were to fail? Then What? I guess we'd pretty much be screwed right? Would amateur radio step in? I think that the state should set up a VHF back up system like Gloucester County NJ has. If the 500 mhz system fails, they can revert to a number of VHF frequencies. Maybe Delaware should apply for some VHF frequencies and use them if the 800 MHz system fails. Tell me what you think. Thanks!

PS: Trunked systems can be a little bit complicated, thousands of radios with seperate ID's, computers (and they can fail at time), etc. Something simple like a regular repeater like the ones used in ham radio can go a long way if set up correctly.

C

comsec1

any "system" vulnerable

every single multi-site system is vulnerable to being comprimised either by someone causing it or by a natural disaster. this is why trunked systems are the worst possible choice for public saftey communications, trunked systems are designed and built for SPECTRUM efficiency and not for communications RELIABILITY. with the amount of sensitive electronic devices that trunked systems are comprised of the failure rate keeps going up, these devices are extremely sensitive and we have been seeing failures during events such as thunder storms that never happened before. if the right site is taken out the entire system can fail. there are too many computers and microprocessors controling the system and we all know that with our own computers sometimes you have to re-boot, well the same applies to the computers the control trunked systems. also with these sensitive components many times the failure will not surface for a few days or weeks after a strike or surge.

fineshot1

Hey guys - when lightning strikes and water levels rise all bets are off. No comm system is safe and invulnerable from everything. And to say "this is why trunked systems are the worst possible choice for public saftey communications, trunked systems are designed and built for SPECTRUM efficiency and not for communications RELIABILITY." is not entirely accurate per my previous statement. Even conventional base stations manufactured by moto, ef johnson, ge, etc. are computer controlled these days(ie: MTR2000, Quantar, etc.). Conventional systems can suffer from some of the same dilemma's as trunk systems(ie: co-channel and adjacent channel interference, wide band noise, analog or digital tv interference, etc.).
There are many suppression methods for lightning strikes but mother nature is tough to totally protect electronics from.

Status
Not open for further replies.