DEA frequencies lastnight ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

aph1975

I finally caught some action from the DEA frequencies for the Chicago land area lastnight around 12 am ..... At first I wasnt sure if it was the DEA or what not, but after hearing a 45 min stakeout and bust I was sure it was the Drug Enforcement Administration. Basically they were staking out a <deleted by moderator> The frequencies I was catching this on were as follows 418.625 / 418.900 / 418.825 ( most of the conversation tho they did alternate between the three ) I was also able to get enough info to learn it was somewhere in the vicinity of <location deleted by moderator> I also scanned that corresponding Chicago Police District and didnt get anything guess it was a private op. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Joseph11

Very nice. Was it analog or digital? If it was analog, what PL/DPL did you get? Thanks.

Gilligan

Database Admin
Two things:

1) You might be real careful about divulging location information you hear on the scanner. While it really wouldn't matter with even most police or business ops, DEA surveillance is one group of freqs you really don't want to repeat specifics about. I think it's even illegal to repeat this stuff -- so be careful.

2) Instead of location info, how about giving some info on how the freqs were used. Like were they all repeater freqs and did they refer to channel numbers? Were some of them simplex or talkaround (you'd have to have been close) ?

Just be careful w/ the info you post. It's also a good way to get them to go encrypted...

Joseph11

The three frequencies aph1975 are all repeated frequencies. Here is the DEA's nationwide channel plan:

Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA):
  • 418.6250 R - Channel 1 (Operations) - PL 156.7 Hz and P25 Digital
    418.9000 R - Channel 2 (Operations) - PL 156.7 Hz and P25 Digital
    418.7500 S - Channel 3 (Surveillance) - PL 156.7 Hz and P25 Digital
    418.6750 S - Channel 4 (Surveillance) - PL 156.7 Hz and P25 Digital
    418.8250 R - Channel 5 (Operations) - PL 156.7 Hz and P25 Digital
    418.9500 R - Channel 6 (Operations) - PL 156.7 Hz and P25 Digital
    418.9750 R - Channel 7 (Operations) - PL 156.7 Hz and P25 Digital
    418.1750 S - Channel 8 (Surveillance) - PL 156.7 Hz and P25 Digital

417.2750 S - Tactical A - PL 156.7 Hz
    417.4500 S - Tactical B - PL 156.7 Hz
    417.5000 S - Tactical C - PL 156.7 Hz
    417.5500 S - Tactical D - PL 156.7 Hz
    418.5000 S - Tactical E - PL 156.7 Hz
    418.7000 S - Tactical F - PL 156.7 Hz
    418.7750 S - Tactical G - PL 156.7 Hz
    418.8000 S - Tactical H - PL 156.7 Hz
    418.8750 S - Tactical I - PL 156.7 Hz
    418.0500 S - Wide area itinerant J - PL 156.7 Hz
    418.5750 S - Wide area itinerant K - PL 156.7 Hz
    418.0750 S - Interagency common L - PL 156.7 Hz

Channels 1-8 are P25 capable in some areas. The Tacs are also probably P25 capable in some areas.

BTW, Don't worry about posting federal frequency information; I have federal frequencies posted on my message board.

However, Gilligan is right about posting location information. It'd be best not to post information about where any agency was operating (especially federal agencies).

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
Yes that is true you can get in trouble for putting stuff on up online or talk about if no one heard about it. If I heard DEA or FBI I wouldn't even put the channels up online or give it out I would keep it to myself. I thought FBI and DEA etc.. was Encrypted? Giving the location someone online can see this and they can run or do something else stupid. You could put their lives in danger.. I did have Freq's for FBI and stuff I found online but I lost the info had Sercet Service FBI DEA etc..

Gilligan

Database Admin
Federal freqs are all over the place. With technology now and grants available they can go encrypted if they want. I don't see a problem with posting freqs (most bad guys don't know how to use the info anyway) but posting locations could pose a huge threat to officers' lives.

K9JLR

I copied this from Dave Stark's webiste, as it's short and to the point:

The Communications Act of 1934, now called Section 705 (47 USCA 605), states that it is unlawful to disclose the content of radio transmissions overheard unless they are amateur radio traffic, broadcasts to the public or distress calls. It is unlawful under this section to use traffic monitored for personal gain. This might include a tow truck operator going to accident calls heard over a scanner if a response has not been requested, or a taxicab driver jumping calls dispatched to other companies.

You could get yourself into trouble repeating monitoring specifics like this. I would go as far as suggesting that you either personally edit or request your original post to be edited in order to delete the specifics of what your monitored.

studgeman

Premium Subscriber
reguardless of who or what is legal etc.. When you are talking about survailence/stakeouts/covert ops, ESPECIALLY on a federal level, the people the feds are staking out are not usually the nicest people out there. Besides potentially disrupting an ongoing investigation, which if they are in-the-clear they could do on their own, but posting information across the internet could potentially endanger the investigators lives. Many people who frequent these boards are law enforcement/dispatchers/firefighters or work with public safety in some capacity. Because of this we are a little more sensitive to divulging praticular information than the average person would be. One thing I will not do is post information I have learned though any professional work that I do, that, I consider a breach of trust. I will post frequency and observed usage, type of modulation, encrypted or not etc. etc. of other things I monitor on my own. That is as much information as I will post, it is also all that is essential to the scanner hobby. We all make the assumption that everyone that reads these posts are honest, law-abiding citizens. That is probably far from the truth. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. This is something we all need to remind ourselves from time to time.

Status
Not open for further replies.