DEA working in TH today

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearcat991

Posting that sort of thing is one reason everything will eventually be encrypted....

usswood

Posting that sort of thing is one reason everything will eventually be encrypted....

yeah, and I bet the crooks are reading this forum also huh....lol

Some of you give to much credit to bad guys...I mean..if they were good, would we have 4-5 million lock up right now..obviously most of them don't plan very well, read, write or if anything else, at least learn from the last time they got busted...but they never do, thats why its a revolving door of the same old same...

but as broke as the states are, they are adding new faces to the groups everyday...watch out

JoeyC

yeah, and I bet the crooks are reading this forum also huh....lol

Some of you give to much credit to bad guys...I mean..if they were good, would we have 4-5 million lock up right now..obviously most of them don't plan very well, read, write or if anything else, at least learn from the last time they got busted...but they never do, thats why its a revolving door of the same old same...

but as broke as the states are, they are adding new faces to the groups everyday...watch out

What does being a criminal have to do with any of this? It matters not that a band of criminals or a convent of nuns is reading the forums but that people are advertising surveillance activity in public. Bad idea.:mad:

KE4RWS

Doubtful it was anything serious . . .

If they were actually doing something worthwhile they would have used an encrypted system. Hell, everyone today knows if your gonna conduct any operation with coordinated radio traffic you'd better utilize encryption. If the federal gov't is dumb enough to use an open frequency for real cases then shame on them. That's why I seriously doubt they would have any real operation going on using anything other than a secure system. Open channels are likely just general chit-chat and such. The gov't knows everyone and their brother monitors their regular allocated frequencies. They also know scanners today have more capability than ever before. Knowing this, I can't imagine they would reveal any sensitive information over an open channel other than what they want for lunch . . .

Randy

bearcat991

at the same time

At the same time there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever to post it. I've been in the hobby for over 40 years and "scan" a 200 mile radius with over 30 scanners and receivers. If its broadcast anywhere around here no doubt I hear it. I never run to the keyboard and type "guess what I just heard". There is a definite and growing national trend to encrypt police communications on all levels. If we expect to keep any sort of hobby in the future common sense should be used when making posts regarding police activity esp federal agents, whether or not they are attempting to be covert. While the mentioned post was fairly innocuous those kinds of posts lead other folks to be more brazen...I've read them before in the forums and folks have been warned many times. My only point was use your head regarding posting police activity. As a retired federal "employee" I can assure you the DEA works in thousands of places everyday hardly front page info anyway.....

usswood

At the same time there is absolutely no reason what-so-ever to post it. I've been in the hobby for over 40 years and "scan" a 200 mile radius with over 30 scanners and receivers. If its broadcast anywhere around here no doubt I hear it. I never run to the keyboard and type "guess what I just heard". There is a definite and growing national trend to encrypt police communications on all levels. If we expect to keep any sort of hobby in the future common sense should be used when making posts regarding police activity esp federal agents, whether or not they are attempting to be covert. While the mentioned post was fairly innocuous those kinds of posts lead other folks to be more brazen...I've read them before in the forums and folks have been warned many times. My only point was use your head regarding posting police activity. As a retired federal "employee" I can assure you the DEA works in thousands of places everyday hardly front page info anyway.....

understandable...that way works for you, but not others...I believe in an open socitiy...not all this hub bub of ENC....I didn't post anything specific about what I was hearing..only that I was picking them up...didn't give a Freq, only a Channel name, so you would have to go and find it if you wanted to listen to really a one sided Conversation anyway..... PS...they are going to do what they want to do as far as ENC anyway...havent you figured that out yet??

but enough said on this....I'm the OP and I would like this CLOSED NOW MOD

KE4RWS

Common Knowledge Frequencies

The frequency and PL that was mentioned are commonly posted in MANY places on the Internet. Simply perform a search of the frequency in question and you'll see where it pops up as one of the most commonly used frequencies in service today. If it weren't for the fact that it's already a well-known frequency that's already plastered absolutely everywhere then I might be able to see where there could be an issue posting it here. However, this frequency is as common as the NOAA Weather channels and any $10 scanner could pick it up.

I don't mean to offend here but the info in question is and always has been widely available to any and all who have an Internet connection.

But that's me . . .

Randy

Viper43

. However, this frequency is as common as the NOAA Weather channels and any $10 scanner could pick it up.

I don't mean to offend here but the info in question is and always has been widely available to any and all who have an Internet connection.

But that's me . . .

Randy

Not just you, these people think just because it is federal if you mention it they will go encrypted... NOT, these frequencies are readily available online and if they wanted to go encrypted it takes a push of a button whether or not they think someones listening. Get over it, these frequencies have been plastered throughout the internet since the internet first went online, and before that on BBS's all over the world, theres no secrets here, and posting frequencies and tones isn't a crime even though some of you may think it is......

JoeyC

Some in this thread need to pay better attention.

NOBODY IS MAKING AN ISSUE OF THE FREQUENCIES IN USE.

This is about ADVERTISING THAT A SURVEILLANCE OR ACTIVITY IS IN PROGRESS.

KE4RWS

Big Deal

How did you establish there was an operation being conducted just because someone was talking on 418.900 MHz? Just because people were talking there doesn't mean a full-blown operation was going on. People assume way too much here.

The fact is these frequencies are still splattered everywhere on the Internet and anyone can listen at any time. This frequency is no secret. Who cares that someone wrote it out here? It's written all over the Internet as to what it is, what it's used for and where to listen so what's the problem? If it was that big a deal then they should have encrypted it. But they didn't so again, who cares?

Pay better attention? Get real.

JoeyC

How did you establish there was an operation being conducted just because someone was talking on 418.900 MHz? Just because people were talking there doesn't mean a full-blown operation was going on. People assume way too much here.

The fact is these frequencies are still splattered everywhere on the Internet and anyone can listen at any time. This frequency is no secret. Who cares that someone wrote it out here? It's written all over the Internet as to what it is, what it's used for and where to listen so what's the problem? If it was that big a deal then they should have encrypted it. But they didn't so again, who cares?

Pay better attention? Get real.

I rest my case. You aren't paying attention either. :roll:

Oh, and the DEA doesn't give out speeding tickets, so I am pretty sure they weren't chatting about speeders.

Last edited:

KE4RWS

Whatever

Whatever dude.

Tickets? There you go assuming things again. They were probably talking about the best way to approach Dunkin Doughnuts or what restaurants give the best discounts.

You can bet if I hear one of these NATIONALLY KNOWN frequencies in use I WILL talk about hearing it and even post where I heard it, regardless of how much you whine. If it's important enough they'll encrypt it, but I'm certainly not going to listen to complainers like you who disagree with the rights of other people.

bearcat991

It's your hobby do what you want

People that want to brag about posting info regarding surveillance activities can be next in line to brag when your post is used at a Senate hearing either on the state level or national level regarding whether or not encryption is needed. Brag yourself right out of a hobby. Probably doesn't matter because within ten years 90 percent or more of all police communications will be encrypted, new agencies and departments are jumping on the band wagon daily. BTW posting info regarding an arrest that is currently taking place is not the same as posting info regarding surveillance that you may hear...two entirely different issues and if you don't know the difference you don't deserve to own any scanners..period. Also it shouldn't surprise anyone who may be reading these forums :)......

jamesa53

The forum member usswood did not divulge the contents of the conversation he heard, just that he was picking them up. I personally can think of several reasons why they would be talking, none of which have anything to do with surveillance. You can bet if they didnt want to be in the clear, they wouldn't be.

JacobInIndy

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.5.0.182 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

If the issue at hand is the advertisement of a possible investigation in progress on a public forum, then the feds are doing the same thing by PUBLICLY announcing their location on the air. It should be considered that owning a scanner is potentially as common as owning a computer. Therefore, divulging anything you hear over the air is fair game for posting.

jerk

Whatever dude.

Tickets? There you go assuming things again. They were probably talking about the best way to approach Dunkin Doughnuts or what restaurants give the best discounts.

You can bet if I hear one of these NATIONALLY KNOWN frequencies in use I WILL talk about hearing it and even post where I heard it, regardless of how much you whine. If it's important enough they'll encrypt it, but I'm certainly not going to listen to complainers like you who disagree with the rights of other people.

Common Sense should apply... but you go ahead and use your rights, but remember there are some on this on this forum that will call an agency and tell them or warn them about what is posted here. (And it is not me, search for the illegal Indianapolis radio thread).

Me if I find something good, I'll usually not share it because of the attitude it's my right. And the old if it’s important they’ll encrypt... why give them the excuse (and ammunition to justify the cost). There used to be someone on one of these forums who posted lots of good info, until he made someone mad, then all that stuff was printed it and brought to his bosses attention.

Just use your head and common sense. And definitely don't post ongoing stuff. The Old Federal Government directories by CRB have an article about some guy in Washington DC who told a subject he was under surveillance.

Second, if it's important they'll encrypt is stupid. If someone makes an issue about it, and post it in public places over and over... yes there is a good chance they'll use encryption. Or make sure their radios have it for the next time.

It's much easier to use common sense, to be circumspect, and to enjoy listening. Because yelling about your "rights" can make what we have go away.
In my County LE had a secret frequency... until everybody started passing it around and making sure they used their "rights" and now all LE agencies are full-time encrypted on Safe-T and have inversion on their VHF frequencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.