Dea

Status
Not open for further replies.

KB8UYC

Premium Subscriber
nothing wrong with what he posted, he did not post any sensitive information, besides, if it was it would have been encrypted.....sounds like you should not have even posted.....

well they took them down.

I did not give any info in the post so whats the big deal? Did not list the roads, the model or colour of the of vehicle, what other agncies involveeed. Gee if you want to be that way I guess we better never post any freq's we hear cause those aree on the radio and will be encrypted. some pople sure need to loosen up.

GrayWolfSA58

no big deal, the whole point of this sight is to talk about what you can hear and share it with others....

mancow

Database Admin
MichiganPig said:
It would DEFINATELY be encryt. if it was important. That or over Nextel :)

Not true. They often give out names, locations, descriptions and other sensitive stuff in the clear.

johnvassel

I had the opportunity when they built the new DEA facility in detroit to see their comm counsels and crypto room. Even was in the crypto room, but had to have a guard posted with me.
I think ONE of the reasons they didnt encrypt everthing at that time is, it can be deciphered. (Theoretically anyways) so when the do encrypt, it usually ends to a changing of the crypto 'boxes'. I do not know what they do nowadays, but this was not all too long ago (maybe 10 years).
I got to 'hang' with the dispatchers for a few weeks. I remember one incident where they were all chuckling because the guy with the known fear of flying had pulled duty in a small plane over the 8 mile area.
Hollywood glamorizes their job MUCH more than it really is.

MichiganPig

mancow said:
Not true. They often give out names, locations, descriptions and other sensitive stuff in the clear.

That maybe true, but I would highly doubt it. Nextels are my best friend

Names, Locations is not sensitive material........ We run LEIN checks every night with names, addresses, phone numbers over our air. At times I hear the detectives using the air during ops, but usually it's not sensitive. I'm sure some folks just don't care and will dish out anything without thinking first.

I had one buddy who worked for the feds. He argued with me that nobody can scan the new digital 800mhz. I told him to go to radio shack and ask for the scanner. I never heard back from him.

rdale

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Premium Subscriber
"I think ONE of the reasons they didnt encrypt everthing at that time is, it can be deciphered."

Back then they used voice inversion, which wasn't really "encryption" and could be undone fairly easily.

Nowaday encryption cannot be broken.

johnvassel

rdale said:
"I think ONE of the reasons they didnt encrypt everthing at that time is, it can be deciphered."

Back then they used voice inversion, which wasn't really "encryption" and could be undone fairly easily.

Nowaday encryption cannot be broken.

They had these green boxes, like convertetd ammo boxes, with dials, wheels..etc on them.
They were changed on intervals, and were treated VERY importantly. The room that housed them, and racks of other equipment, was guarded heavily anytime a worker was in the area. Their dispatch counsel looked like any other at the time, I believe motorola.
The guys working on their radio equipment were current military, but even they just changed out these boxes.. someone else, somewhere else, made the settings.
I will say, my whole view of government security changed somewhat once I got involved in the projects I was involved in. I mean, if I was there...

Status
Not open for further replies.