Tried to do the firmware update on my 796d. After an error about no
communication and no update, im stuck with a semi-dead scanner. Any
HELP???
I can press the l/o - 6 - scan combo and power on and get back into
update mode, but doesnt do me any good because i cant the update to
communicate.
If i press no buttons and power on I get a quick flash of backlight,
and then dead screen.
Pressing the only reset i know of (2,9,man,turn on) does nothing.
I did have a couple different scan programs working on it prior.
Scancat and the one from uniden. But thought maybe the update would
help with a problem i was having getting a new bank to scan.
When i went to do the update i changed the com port needed and since
then had the problem.
But have since uninstalled all the ports and reinstalled using the
radio shack usb-serial with proper driver and all. Gave me a new com
port (4) to use. Still failure in update. Tried adjusting all the port
baud speeds because i couldnt recall which one i had last used in the
scanner. And again, i tried using a seperate laptop with a fresh
install of the usb-serial cable/driver

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
You must complete the update in order to recover from that condition. You don't need to worry about setting the port speed in the scanner (not that you could, now, anyway)...that is automatic. Not knowing what error message or error condition you get, I can only suggest that the general solution is to follow every step exactly and to select the correct COM port when prompted.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Unless this is a typo (which I suspect), it almost sounds like you've applied a firmware update for the 996 on a 796. Won't work....and you should almost certainly not be using a Scancat product with the radio. Junky software - there are many much better ones. 73 Mike

Last edited:

kd7ckq

actually, I think the update does ask to hold the [L/O] + [SCAN] + [6] key while turning it on. You need to to start over from disconnecting from the pwr source and starting from there on Each attempt. It also sounds like the problem is with your usb-serial adapter and Not with the update itself. If you have access to a computer with a real serial port. Then try on that computer. Forget about using your adapter. You might also want to check that all your programs that are running in the background are turned off. Look at your icon tray. Close as many as you can before trying the update if you can't find a computer with a db9 serial port.
You did download the BC796D firmware update and not the BCD996T update, right?

Last edited:

BurbsGuy

firmware.....

Was definitely the 796d update. And in fact went and re downloaded and reinstalled the updater in case it was a bad file problem. Removed all com ports from the system, reinstalled the serial-serial only and tried a last time. Nothing...
The uniden programming software was working fine right up untill the update. And had infact already loaded all my new freq's into the scanner. I just couldnt get one new trunking bank to scan...and tried the update.
MAKE SURE YOU NEED IT BEFORE YOU UPDATE IT !!!!!!
My 796D is now on a UPS truck headed for Uniden..... lesson learned.....

Androx

I have succumb to the same fate with mine just recently. My BC796D would not scan the two P25 digital frequencies although it would pick them up. I could never get the scanner to upload
( communication error) I tried to update the firmware and it said erasing and then communicatione error occured again and now she is on life support.

Did you ever get your scanner fixed?

Highpockets

In the Menu, System Option, PC Control (19200) make sure the software matches that. You can also check in Device Manager on that Com port (cable) and see what that is set at. I would say all have to match.

Androx

Thanks for that bit of information. Unfortunately, I am unable to fire up the scanner but I will check the device manager on the computer.

Thanks again...

Highpockets

I'm sure you did this, but, I would double check your using the right BC_VUP and scn file and start the upgrade again from the beginning and follow the direction to the letter. I guess you already read the trouble shooting section of the upgrade also. Good Luck, stinks when things don't go right.

w2xq

Mentor
I don't know if the Uniden scanner uses an internal battery to retain memory settings or not. But, if it does, a trick of mine when some receivers (and other electronics) I've had are bricked...

With the radio disconnected from its power source, remove, disconnect and drain (may take days) the backup battery. Let the radio sit for a time before putting it all back together.

Just an idea....

Androx

I have downloaded the BC_vup 4 to 5 times already in several previous attempts but, you've sparked an interesting point. Should I be trying to upload the original version now or the BCi96VUP_V1_03 ?

This is a brutal lesson in scanner upgrading. One thing is for sure Uniden OR I screwed up soemwhere big time. It should never be this difficult and I blame poor programming. This is NASA troubleshooting at its most detrimental point

Androx

I see no internal battery but there must be an internal memory chip of some sort. I will unplug the unit for a day or so and will post if it bring success or not... Thanks so much for the idea.

Highpockets

I've never updated a 796 only 996 & 396 and I always use the BC_VUP and scn it tells me to with each new upgrade or the upgrade I'm going to install. Why is something that should be so simple, be so confusing? :)

Androx

Perhaps poor programming design.... I am not impressed with the situation I am now in. No way to communicate with the scanner but it was kind enough to erase itself with a click of a command button. Very easy paper weight procedure!

Highpockets

Perhaps poor programming design.... I am not impressed with the situation I am now in. No way to communicate with the scanner but it was kind enough to erase itself with a click of a command button. Very easy paper weight procedure!

Maybe UPMan has some ideas, I'm sure if he reads this he'll have some input. Good Luck!

dxradio2003

firmware update

Hi,

I had a problem with my 796 not taking the new firmware. I finally had to revert to the previous version of the updater program, and then used the new firmware update to successfully complete the process. I can't remember, but I think I used V.0.1.3 (or something like that) as the software program to upgrade the radio so I could install the new firmware.

Upman helped me at that time with the problem I was having.

---dxradio

OCO

Androx:
Let me get this straight - you couldn't update your channel/system programming because you were getting a communications error, but then went ahead and started a firmware update? I'd troubleshoot your PC configuration first, following all of the suggestions for comm port issues on the bc796d firmware upgrade page. When you do the "three finger" power on, it clears the firmware update area and then waits for the update program on the 'puter to start communications with the scanner to push the new firmware. I'm not discounting an actual hardware problem, but blaming this on poor programming is jumping the gun a little.. UPMan has stated elsewhere that these scanners cannot be bricked beyond recovery if the firmware update process runs to completion. That sounds kind of silly, but the fact is the bootloader code that runs firmware updates is protected and never modified. An unsuccessful firmware update will leave the scanner inoperable, but you should be able to run that update again as many times as needed until it runs to completion. Look for your comm port problem......

w2xq

Mentor
I see no internal battery but there must be an internal memory chip of some sort. I will unplug the unit for a day or so and will post if it bring success or not... Thanks so much for the idea.

Hope the idea helps. Now that I think about some more, I have also had devices using capacitors to hold the charge. In the short run memory is retained, but over the long run (whatever that might be) the cap will eventually drain. Let us all know how you make out.

OCO

Have you tried:
Press and hold the 2, 9 and MAN keys simultaneously while turning on the scanner?

That does a factory reset.... Where that leaves you as far as the firmware upgrade IDK, but it should at least clear any other "soft" issues.

K

kb0nly

I have updated a half dozen or so 796's never had an issue like everyone on here keeps posting, i think the issue is most try with crappy USB-Serial adapters instead of a real serial port with a good quality cable. That eliminates 99.9% of the problems most have with the older DMA scanners and programming and updating.

I have recovered ones just like the OP posted, i just hook up to my workbench computer, follow the normal steps, watch it update and reboot, done. So i think its mainly serial problems that are being encountered, not a problem with the scanner or software.

Status
Not open for further replies.