Dead Airwaves in Atlanta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Seeing numerous social media posts that the majority of Atlanta's police officers walked off the job, there are multiple calls pending and surrounding agencies, including the state police refuse to respond to requests from the city for help.

I've been listening to theZone 5 and Zone 6 East feed and haven't heard a peep. It's gonna be a scary night in Atlanta.

coolrich55

Just watched the mayor on CNN. She doesn't think it's a mass walk out and that they'd have plenty of help from the state ect if there was. It would be interested to know whats actually going on in the streets tonight.

DanRollman

Database Admin
Seeing numerous social media posts that the majority of Atlanta's police officers walked off the job, there are multiple calls pending and surrounding agencies, including the state police refuse to respond to requests from the city for help.

I've been listening to theZone 5 and Zone 6 East feed and haven't heard a peep. It's gonna be a scary night in Atlanta.

Better ask those feed providers to check their feeds. I live in Atlanta and am sitting hear scanning APD on my KNG radios right now. Traffic is fairly normal for a Wednesday evening. To be sure, a number of midnight shift officers have called in sick, but calls seem to be handled smoothly. Some afternoon shift officers were holding over to stay on top of the call load. One zone's sergeant just told the officers from last shift who were holding over to go off duty; they aren't needed after all with no calls pending. The Facebook rumors are really out of control, and whoever is taking their 'evidence' from apparently-defective streaming scanners isn't helping.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
This is what I was hoping to see-some intel from someone local. Multiple media outlets were also reporting it until the department issued a statement.

DanRollman

Database Admin
To be sure, no doubt some unhappy officers have called in sick tonight. But I just heard an officer dispatched to investigate and take a report on an iPhone that the caller says went missing last week and she still hasn't been able to find , so I'm feeling pretty good they've got enough officers on the street for the residents not to need to stay awake fretting and biting their nails with worry tonight.

gillham

Feed Provider
Reactions: RRR

josephdurnal

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering what was going on and why over 10,000 people were listening to one of the Atlanta PD channels. Usually that means there is some sort of major thing going on and there is lots to hear on the radio, but it mostly silent.

DanRollman

Database Admin
*shrug*

"The department’s scanner activity was silent throughout much of the city... ...However the city is trying to downplay the walkout, despite the report from the police union. They did not explain why their radio traffic is silent in multiple zones. "

This is hilarious. Reminds me of that saying "who you gonna believe, me or your own eyes?"

Also love how a story headlined "Confirmed..." is littered with the phrase "I've heard... We are also hearing... We don't know..."

DanRollman

Database Admin
it mostly silent.

Welcome to a Wednesday evening in Atlanta...

One of the zones Facebook rumors say no cops are working in has so few calls pending they dispatched an officer to a 911 call about an unknown person who rang the caller's doorbell a bit ago.

n8zrp

Welcome to a Wednesday evening in Atlanta...

One of the zones Facebook rumors say no cops are working in has so few calls pending they dispatched an officer to a 911 call about an unknown person who rang the caller's doorbell a bit ago.
So Dan, to clarify, you're saying that
1. there is a problem with the Zone 6 feed - compared to what you are receiving on your equipment locally
2. that said the level of actual radio traffic for Zone 6 on a Wednesday evening - is normal and relatively uneventful

DanRollman

Database Admin
So Dan, to clarify, you're saying that
1. there is a problem with the Zone 6 feed - compared to what you are receiving on your equipment locally

I have no idea whether there is a problem with a scanner feed. I don't listen to online scanner feeds. I'm using my own KNG radios here.

But yes, it was zone 6 that just dispatched an officer to "check the area" where caller says someone she didn't recognize rang her doorbell a while ago. So you can be the judge whether zone 6 (or any other zone) is lacking sufficient officers to cover high priority emergency calls at the moment. As I said above, even APD isn't denying that more officers than normal have called in sick, so we should expect radio traffic to be down somewhat. But based on the nature of the calls that I am hearing dispatched, I'm not thinking I'd lose sleep tonight even if I lived in zone 6 (I don't).

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
the days coming might be interesting, I doubt its a massive walk off as most officers are more professional than that, plus the union is not backing it, but if this keeps up the union really does need to back a major walk off, I mean how many times do you need to be thrown under the bus to figure out it's not worth it

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
protesters at precincts are definitely forming up as I type this, so we might see some rioting later

DanRollman

Database Admin
protesters at precincts are definitely forming up as I type this, so we might see some rioting later

Yep. Probably another reason radio traffic seems to be down a bit to those listening on Broadcastify feeds. A lot of zone officers are on Special Events 1 and other channels that aren't on the Broadcastify feeds, where teams of officers are protecting their precincts from "protesters". I suppose they could just do like Minneapolis PD's 3rd precinct and let the protesters burn down their precinct building, and then they'd have more units available to work calls and make traffic stops and otherwise occupy the zone dispatch airwaves with lots of chatter so that Facebook can stop spreading rumors.

cdawg030

If by chance another agency were to go help out, would they continue operating on their own system or would they switch over to APD or something else? Just curious how that works. I can’t pick up APD from my house but can hear some of Fulton County.

w4amp

Premium Subscriber
As someone who has listened to Atlanta scanner traffic for decades I can honestly say the crime in the area has been bad for years now. Lately it is bad all over the metro. Lots of violent crimes, gunfire, murders, carjackings, kidnappings, and home invasions every day. I have been shocked at some of what I hear now.

I deeply respect any law officer doing that job now. And without going into obvious detail, I understand why many of them are quitting in droves.

RFI-EMI-GUY

"Random Cops walking off" is job abandonment. If they do that, they could be fired without any recourse, especially if this is not a union sanctioned action. If they walk off, it would seem they are a big part of the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.