Dead audio on TDMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottb908

Feed Provider
The CT State Police just turned on TDMA. Ever since then the TRX 1 has been completely deaf. When it was p25 no issues. I have a SDS as well and can hear the PD with no issues. I cant get the TRX to pick up even one transmission. I know simulcast have been an issue for this radio but it has been working fine until now. I have reformed the card as well as limited to just 1 transmission frequency that is nearby. Any thoughts or ideas?

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
How far are you from a nearby site tower? The fact that they have simulcast distortion issues, it's definitely going to be a problem.

Last edited:

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
All I can say is get closer with it. They are notorious for not working with P25 all that well. DMR and NXDN sure, but definitely not something simulcast. I used to have one and sent it back.

scottb908

Feed Provider
I cant get closer. This my house were most of my listening is done from. Also I stream my feed from here. It worked ok on P25 but when they went to TDMA it went dead. Dont think its a reception issue.

Ubbe

Doesn't TDMA have a higher bit rate in the datastream, two time slots, and puts much more demand from the decode quality in a scanner and if you have simulcast issues it will be very evident now. Especially as the TRX series seems to be much more tricky to get to work with simulcast compared to older Whistlers and Unidens.

/Ubbe

cg

Premium Subscriber
Many people trying to monitor the CT system are now reporting problems. I would bet it is reception coupled with what Ubbe posted. The control channel still shows decent signal because it is Phase 1. Most voice is Phase 2 and you need a much better signal for it. 15 miles with the CT terrain is pushing it.

chris

CycleSycho

The CT State Police just turned on TDMA. Ever since then the TRX 1 has been completely deaf. When it was p25 no issues. I have a SDS as well and can hear the PD with no issues. I cant get the TRX to pick up even one transmission. I know simulcast have been an issue for this radio but it has been working fine until now. I have reformed the card as well as limited to just 1 transmission frequency that is nearby. Any thoughts or ideas?

:confused: Exterior antenna, directional antenna with a little experimentation for best signal quality??? If nothing wrong with the radio, or programing, its about all I can offer as a suggestion given the inferred terrain. Good luck! :confused:

rayvelcoro

I've noticed that my TRX-1's handle Phase I simulcast a great deal better than they do Phase II simulcast.

trentbob

W3BUX- Bucks County, PA
Premium Subscriber
I've noticed that my TRX-1's handle Phase I simulcast a great deal better than they do Phase II simulcast.
This is just a long time, well known fact of life that Whistler scanners do not do well on P2 tdma Transmissions.

I have heard tell of people who have success on RR but no one in my circles ever has. It's not worth the argument. It is what it is

God knows I've tried adjusting DSP ADC DAC for hours on end to no avail.

Too bad, if the trx-1 worked on my local P2 simulcast system it would be my go-to radio but it doesn't work a lick.

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
See about mounting a range-specific antenna outside somewhere. It might do something for reception to it.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
A few weeks ago I had to switch from my TRX-1 to my 325P2 to monitor the PA P25 Phase 2 system. I was just not hearing comms like I used to. I don't know if something changed with the system or the scanner. I even wiped the card and re loaded all newly created systems. Same antenna setup and same location, the 325P2 is receiving what the TRX-1 isn't. Not sure what's going on, but the op's post makes me think.

The TRX-1 works flawlessly on DMR, NXDN, and P25 Phase 1, just nothing on Phase 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.