Dead Bands 3-3-3

Status
Not open for further replies.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
The 3-3-3 plan you reference talks about using "Channel 3".

I assume they are talking about FRS radios. It would be very difficult to get everyone to agree on what "Channel 3" means in the amateur radio bands since their are so many bands and modes available to amateur radio operators instead of the very limited number of channels and single mode available on FRS.

If this thread is going to be about amateur radio, I'll leave it here. If it's going to be about FRS, I'll move it to the GMRS/FRS forum.

scanmanmi

Yes. My question is has anyone either received clarification on the 3-3-3 plan freqs for hams or is there a similar alternate plan I haven't heard of.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
And I would like to offer that ham bands generally are not channelized. They use frequencies.

RadioFreeq

3-3-3 Radio Plan SHTF

3-3-3 normally refers to "Channel 3" on MURS, CB, FRS, PMR446, or GMRS. For most HAM radio operators, the "channel 3" of the 3-3-3 plan is 146.520 FM Simplex.

It is the radio comms fallback equivalent to a "Rally Point" or "Disaster Meet-up Plan" .

Call it a frequency or a channel, it doesn't matter. Ham organizations may use a pre-determined local frequency as their 3-3-3 channel, such as simplex FM on the output freq of the local repeater.

There are "Prepper ham" organizations who use 146.420 FM Simplex as a calling channel and 3-3-3 channel. It has become very common, even though it is not one of the "normal" 2 meter simplex channels recognized by most freq coordination committees.

Also, there are "non-aligned" Survivalist hams who use 146.550 FM Simplex as their "SHTF" bug-out-channel "BOC" or 3-3-3 channel.

3-3-3 radio plan for SHTF communications
333_radio_plan.jpg

Last edited:

RadioFreeq

1-2-3 vs 3-3-3 Radio Plan SHTF Sked

Some organizations recommend hourly skeds (such as the 1-2-3 plan).

But, nobody who has ever had to suffer through hourly radio skeds while working daily in-the-field for weeks or months would ever recommend hourly skeds.

Hourly skeds are impossible to keep.

“Get on the air every hour” may sound like a reasonable concept or even a good idea (while you are sitting at home).

Practically speaking, it is impossible for one person to maintain an hourly schedule and get anything else done, or even catch a quick nap.

The good news, is that the “3-3-3 Radio Plan for SHTF Communications” is fully interoperable and compatible with a 1-2-3 plan.

3-3-3 recommends turning on the radio on channel 3, “calling and listening for a call for at least 3 minutes” or ” If you have sufficient battery power, or if you have not connected in for a while, then you should listen for 15 minutes.”

Interoperability: 3-3-3 says every 3 hours on the clock, and 1-2-3 says every hour. So, the two methods are interoperable at 3 hour intervals.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
This is where the concept of calling channels comes in handy. One the VHF/UHF and higher bands, there are specific frequencies set aside for calling and short QSO's. If one were to extend the idea to the HF bands and sub-bands, then one could monitor the specific calling frequency for the band and sub band of interest. For example, the 20 meter advanced band segment.

Of course, I'm not naive enough to think that would actually work on HF.

It works on VHF and up because the weak signal community is a bit more tight knit than what you find on HF.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Yes. My question is has anyone either received clarification on the 3-3-3 plan freqs for hams or is there a similar alternate plan I haven't heard of.

At one time, there was a proposal to listen to 146.520 at the top of each hour, for back country people that might need assistance. I am not sure if anyone still follows this plan

Sent via Tapatalk

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
"Call it a frequency or a channel, it doesn't matter". As always, I beg to differ. My channel 3 is 144.39. I bet everyone's channel three is different. 146.52 is the same frequency for everyone.

majoco

Stirrer
So you expect everyone to stop what they're doing every three hours and go check in to a net? Put the local frequency into your scanner - if anyone talks, then listen. But remember, Hams, CB, FRS or GMRS are not the primary emergency service and never will be.

KD8DVR

So you expect everyone to stop what they're doing every three hours and go check in to a net? Put the local frequency into your scanner - if anyone talks, then listen. But remember, Hams, CB, FRS or GMRS are not the primary emergency service and never will be.

No doubt.... More for the tinfoil hattist, whacker types.

Status
Not open for further replies.