Dead bands - everyone listening and no talking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
May be this is hard to believe for some folks, but I got burned out from talking on radios while sitting at a desk or bench. The last thing I wanted to do was go home and talk on radios when I had just spent the last 8 hours sitting at a bench working on them.

So, if that is (or was, being that you left that company in 1999), the case, why would the FIRST thing you want to do is get in your car/truck and grab a microphone and start talking away?

Yes, I am what you are calling a commuter ham, so what. .

Yep, the hit dog hollers.

If you don't like commuter hams, then don't talk with them. Just don't put me down because I am one.

I don't think he was putting you down, just stating the obvious. The commuter only ham is a selfish "it's all about me" individual. You certainly have enforced this idea that with your response.

Have a good day sir, my conversation on this subject is over as I will continue to operate the way I like regardless of your opinion of it.

There's that hit dog again, he snarls, shows his teeth, then tucks his tail between his legs, and scurries off into the hills. :D

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Folks, everyone is entitled to their opinions, but let's keep the conversation civil.

There are all kinds of people in amateur radio with all kinds of interests and all kinds of operating philosophies. What ties us together is an interest in communicating and the rules governing our operations.

The best thing that any of us can do to further amateur radio is get on the air and operate our station to the best of our abilities.

BoboPinky

So, if that is (or was, being that you left that company in 1999), the case, why would the FIRST thing you want to do is get in your car/truck and grab a microphone and start talking away?

Yep, the hit dog hollers.

I don't think he was putting you down, just stating the obvious. The commuter only ham is a selfish "it's all about me" individual. You certainly have enforced this idea that with your response.

There's that hit dog again, he snarls, shows his teeth, then tucks his tail between his legs, and scurries off into the hills. :D

Wow, remind me not to operate on "YOUR" repeater(s?).

"There's that hit dog, tucks his tail between his legs", "Selfish commuter only HAM"... Dude, give it a rest. So what.... if someone is using "your" repeater for a short while while they commute, be thankful someone is using it at all. What better time to meet others, discuss traffic conditions, and pass the time than when on your commute? As long as there isn't some emergency communications going on (don't get me started here either.... HAM's that think they are going to save the world with HAM radio are really a joke. 99% are such overweight duffs that would have a hard time rescuing themselves from their own "operating position, who are they going to save?) then so what?

I have a feeling YOU are one of those owners / control opps types others have commented on in this thread. Right? You sure sound like one.

HAM radio is a funny thing. It sole purpose is to communicate, period. But, so often other hams (HF - UHF, simplex, etc.) and control opps (repeaters, scheduled nets, etc.) are more interested in making others feel not worthy to use "their" equipment or "their" frequencies, or are quick to drive them off said repeater or frequency, etc.

I've been a HAM a long time, and hear this sort of thing go on all the time. Then, owners / opps are crying because they can't find paying members to support the cost of keeping a repeater(s) on the air. They should carefully listen to their own operating procedures.

Status
Not open for further replies.