Dead/Poor VIPER coverage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Curious if anyone knows if the VIPER info for the Wayne/Sampson/Duplin County areas listed on RRDB is complete and up-to-date.

Here is why I'm asking....

On a trip through the area (I-95 to 795 to 117 to I-40) on June 1st, my G4 was constantly getting out of range on sites in the area once on the south side of Goldsboro until I got onto I-40S.

For a follow-up trip last week, I verified that I had all sites around the area (Duplin, Sampson, Lenoir, Wayne, Johnston, Wilson) programmed with at least the control channel frequencies programmed. In many cases, I programmed ALL of the site frequencies for sites directly along the route.

I closely watched the G4 while on I-40 and it tended to hold onto sites I'd left for extended periods (not a surprise). However, while on 117 from I-40 to Goldsboro, it was constantly jumping from one site to another. Checking my TRX-2 logs for that part of the drive, I saw the selected site jumping around over as many as 8-10 different sites.

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed this seemingly dead spot in coverage in that area.

Also - the Goldsboro site has been listed as "temp offline" for quite some time and that the Lee Plant site is not that far away. Doesn't seem like there is a need for two sites that close together when just down the road there seems to be a dead spot. Anyone know more about the Goldsboro site and it's future?

troymail

Silent Key
Did some research...

Well, according to the ULS, it appears that the "temp offline" Goldsboro site was operating under a "special temporary" license from June 2008 until July 2014. It appears it was renewed every 6 months during that time and then canceled in July 2014.

Status
Not open for further replies.