Dead PSR500.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HDMechanic

My new PSR 500 wont turn on. Tryed pluging it in and still wont turn on. Tryed fresh batteries and still nothing. Has anyone else had this problem at all. All i did was put fresh batteries into unit and went to turn it on and nothing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Completely dead or just sead display?

My display went out recently right after I changed batteries.......see this thread

Go here and register and submit a ticket to get the ball rolling, they'll get you an RMA number so you can send your unit in for repair.

I got mine back Saturday, mine seemed to "self-repair" on it's trip out to California so they checked it out, put it back together and sent it home to me.

GRE Support were very helpful and pretty quick to respond......Jack & Raj were very helpful....Thanks guys!! :)

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
Any resolution to your problem?

Have you contacted GRE yet?

Let us know how this turns out.

robsterw

My PSR-500 just got the same problem as yours bubbaearle.

The LCD display is fubar'd today because I can barely read what's on the screen. The LED's are fine and the actual scanner works with Win500 virtual control. I tried resetting the PSR-500 back to factory defaults in hopes of fixing it. Using a different outlet for the wall charger, and swapped out to different batteries. All 3 attempts failed.

Dunno how it happend :-( but I just submitted a ticket with GRE and I'm waiting to hear back.
I'll let you know what's next.

HDMechanic

Well just to let ny body know I got the run around from GRE. I live in Canada and was told they will not fix my unit because I live in Canada. I bought the unit from Scanmaster and so I phoned them. Guess what they wont help me either. Have had the unit for 2 months and they wont help me at all. So I just bought a $499.00 for two months. Guess it scrap plastic now. (Trying figure out what to say with out bad language)

HDMechanic

The problem has been solved. Spoke to Rich Barnett of Scanmaster and he has sorted everything out. I hope I did not offened anybody ith my prior coments but was mad at the time. Both Scanmaster and Grecom have steped forward to help me out and would like to thank them both. I woudnt hesitate to buy another Grecom product or products from Scanmaster again. Thanks again to Rich for helping me out and would recomened using Scanmaster for buying scanner product because they stand behinc what they sell.
Thanks
HDMechanic :)

HDMechanic

Nope have to send itt back to Scanmaster then they will send it off to Grecom. One dead unit and dont know what happened. Will keep everyone posted when I find out what happened.

bubbaearle

Premium Subscriber
The only acceptable outcome......

Glad to hear ScannerMaster stepped up and got GRE to take care of you.

What excludes Canada from warranty coverage?

Can ya give us details as to transpired for ScannerMaster & GRE to replace your unit?

HDMechanic

Grecom told me that they arent allowed to sell units to Canadians due to them not having FCC aproval yet. So thier for they arent allowed to recive them back from Canada or send them into Canada them selves. From what I understand they are currently working on getting A Canadian office set up soon in the neir future. I cant wait to see Grecom in Canada as they will have lots of pepole buying them here in Canada. In now of at least 20mpepole that will buy them in my area.

robsterw

OK guys.
Like HDMechanic, I got the same run around for warranty help.
It seems GRE are covering their legal bases because the radio isn't yet Industry Canada approved, and The PSR-500 has no Industry Canada sticker.

95% of the electronic products in my room right now are only FCC approved. I can't find any indication of Industry Canada stickers being on the devices themselves. Some examples are my Siemens internet modem, Linksys router, and Sony TV.

In my opinion, Industry Canada basically rubber stamps anything the FCC does anyway. But since HDMechanic has indicated GRE is looking for distribution rights here, they are playing it by the book.
I don't blame them for doing this. Heck if they do come to Canada I'm sure they would do well for themselves.
So now my radio will probably go off to Lentini Comm in CT for service. Hooray bureaucracy!

Last edited:

robsterw

The screen crapped out on me a few days ago while Unitrunking the local EDACS system overnight.
The unit had 4 Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteres in it, and was left plugged in to the wall for Unitrunker.

Unfortunately something went bump during the night because in the morning the LCD looked different.
If you glanced at a normal functioning unit from a distance on an angle, that's what my unit appears to be like right now. Completely faded and washed out
It's hard to explain really....... I'll try and take a video and post it later.

I don't know why it became like that since it's very bizarre and very annoying for a new $500 radio.
Oh well, It will be dealt with accordingly ...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.