Dead rat shuts down South Metro Fire Department

Status
Not open for further replies.

papaelk

ENGLEWOOD - South Metro Rescue Station 32 is shut down because of health concerns.

Some contractors doing maintenance found a dead rat in the crawlspace near the living quarters.

Because the firefighters sleep near there, the fire department decided to seal the area and shut it down Thursday.

"We've had an exterminator come in," Jeff Lyon with South Metro Rescue said. "We've had a restoration company come in to do some cleaning. We've consulted with Tri-County Health. We're cleaning the bunker gear - the clothes that you see the firefighters in - all as a precaution so that their families can rest-assured they're living in safe and healthy conditions."

Fire departments in Greenwood Village and Centennial will serve the area around the Denver Tech Center until the firehouse is back open.

"It's possible the response could be delayed because the units are farther away," Lyon said. "We're going to do everything in our power to make sure that doesn't happen."

Lyon says the hope is to have South Metro Rescue Station 32 open by the middle of next week.

HM1529

Pennsylvania DB Admin
Database Admin
Here on the east coast, two legged rats usually end up dead in the water...wearing "special" shoes.

Sorry...couldn't resist.

MikeyB

papaelk said:
."

Fire departments in Greenwood Village and Centennial will serve the area around the Denver Tech Center until the firehouse is back open.

Again the media absolutely blows the mind. Fire Departments? More like other stations in the same department. As if they want to give the impression that everybody in that area is without fire service.

What I want to know is, is 32's running from another location during that time, or if South Metro is down a Ladder, Engine and Medic.

Last edited:

ROOFLIFECO

Premium Subscriber
"A Rat" as in One? Geez, that seems like a lot to close a fire house for a week because of ONE dead rat. I mean, they found the thing in the crawl space...if anywhere, thats where I would expect to find a rat...strange

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
What I want to know is, is 32's running from another location during that time, or if South Metro is down a Ladder, Engine and Medic.[/QUOTE]

Yes there running from another location heard them running a call early this morning.

Jim<

MikeyB

ROOFLIFECO said:
"A Rat" as in One? Geez, that seems like a lot to close a fire house for a week because of ONE dead rat. I mean, they found the thing in the crawl space...if anywhere, thats where I would expect to find a rat...strange

I thought the same thing. Most cities, dead rats wouldn't cause anybody to bat an eye. Also, note the story on 9news changed it to "Fire Stations in Greenwood Village and Centennial". That wasn't how it was in the beginning!

jimmnn

Premium Subscriber
MikeyB said:
I thought the same thing. Most cities, dead rats wouldn't cause anybody to bat an eye. Also, note the story on 9news changed it to "Fire Stations in Greenwood Village and Centennial". That wasn't how it was in the beginning!

Believe it's the concern with the diseases and infections found in rats by the Colorado Health Dept.

Jim<

Status
Not open for further replies.