Deadliest catch??

Status
Not open for further replies.

n5ims

These requests come up every year when the show resumes broadcast of their new season. Use the search feature in the upper right corner of this site's pages to locate what you're asking for.

Just remember that the show's shooting is over (as are the crab seasons) so don't expect to hear much now. The seasons are generally a few weeks long each and normally are in the October through January time frame.

KEV200

You're not referring to this, are you?
Clear view screen

No, they look like thin metallic tape, similar to what you used to see taped to glass panes to trigger an alarm. They look like dipoles, fed in the middle and bent up at each end (like a goal post). Some are mounted sideways, others vertical. I I
I ____ I
I______I I _____ I
I___I

Something like this.

KEV200

No, they look like thin metallic tape, similar to what you used to see taped to glass panes to trigger an alarm. They look like dipoles, fed in the middle and bent up at each end (like a goal post). Some are mounted sideways, others vertical. I I
I ____ I
I______I I _____ I
I___I

Something like this.

Sorry, type didn't turn out like it should after posting.

Those "tape dipole" antennas are VHF emergency antennas in case the regular topside VHF antennas are blown away they can switch to the emergency backup antenna.

brandon

Database Admin
Here are some frequencies to try.

2088 - Showed up during episode that aired 4/20/10.
2182 - Distress
4125 - Distress, USCG and WX reports for Alaska waters. Active daily.
5167.5 - Alaska Emergency Channel
5299 - From Yahoo groups logged by somebody in Alaska several years ago
6212 - I logged this last summer w/ Rescue 1714 requesting p/p to Kodiak Air Station.
14500 - Forum user Hooligan reported seeing this displayed on one of the HF radios a few seasons back.

For the best luck you should monitor the USCG CommSta Kodiak on 5696 and 8983. They also use TISCOM ALE Net regular basis. From SoCal I have recently logged voice activity on 3053, 4730, 6709, 9034 and 11196. The other frequencies are 13221, 15082, 17988, 20135.5, 23072.6 kHz.

It will be tough from the east coast but you may be able to do it. I know a user from this forum can hear Kodiak from Wisconsin. Also here is a short audio clip I recorded last November for a man overboard call from MV Corona Infinity (file edited to remove dead air between comms) as heard from my location in SoCal. Kodiak wasn't too strong and unfortunately could not hear the air asset from my location. But last summer I monitored some activity on TISCOM and the air units were a solid copy.

Hope this helps and if anyone else has notes to share (especially the discrete BS/chit-chat freqs) please do post :wink:

psr600md

Here are some frequencies to try.

2088 - Showed up during episode that aired 4/20/10.
2182 - Distress
4125 - Distress, USCG and WX reports for Alaska waters. Active daily.
5167.5 - Alaska Emergency Channel
5299 - From Yahoo groups logged by somebody in Alaska several years ago
6212 - I logged this last summer w/ Rescue 1714 requesting p/p to Kodiak Air Station.
14500 - Forum user Hooligan reported seeing this displayed on one of the HF radios a few seasons back.

For the best luck you should monitor the USCG CommSta Kodiak on 5696 and 8983. They also use TISCOM ALE Net regular basis. From SoCal I have recently logged voice activity on 3053, 4730, 6709, 9034 and 11196. The other frequencies are 13221, 15082, 17988, 20135.5, 23072.6 kHz.

It will be tough from the east coast but you may be able to do it. I know a user from this forum can hear Kodiak from Wisconsin. Also here is a short audio clip I recorded last November for a man overboard call from MV Corona Infinity (file edited to remove dead air between comms) as heard from my location in SoCal. Kodiak wasn't too strong and unfortunately could not hear the air asset from my location. But last summer I monitored some activity on TISCOM and the air units were a solid copy.

Hope this helps and if anyone else has notes to share (especially the discrete BS/chit-chat freqs) please do post :wink:
yep I get uscg Kodiak on 5696 just after sunset CDT.nill on 4125 or 8983.

k9rzz

Was doing some reading on this and just learned that Captain Phil of the Cornelia Marie died of a stroke this past February.

Phil Harris (fisherman) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We're going to miss you Capt'n Phil.

captain-phil.jpg

brandon

Database Admin
I also saw 1.950 MHz displayed on a radio. (The same one that last week showed a weather broadcast on 2088 kHz)
Was this the same? That is right in the 160 meter ham band.

Status
Not open for further replies.