Deadly school shooting in Houston, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael-SATX

Santa Fe HS Shooting Galveston Co Texas !!!

Shooting incident reported this morning at Santa Fe High School in Galveston County, Texas.
Witnesses say the shooting took place in an art class on campus between 7:30 and 7:45 a.m.
Santa Fe Police, Galveston County Sheriff's Office, ATF and FBI agents have all responded
to the school at 16000 Highway 6. The Harris County Sheriff's Office says one suspect is in
custody and a second one is detained. According to law enforcement agencies, it appears
the shooter is a student. Santa Fe is roughly 36 miles outside of Houston. According to the
Texas Education Agency, the high school enrollment is about 1,400 students.
LIVE COVERAGE: At least 8 killed in Santa Fe High School shooting | abc13.com

Reported are 8 DEAD TX HIGH SCHOOL SHOOTING - Developing Story
DRUDGE REPORT 2018®

Galveston County Public Safety - Digital (Top Streaming Audio Feed Link Below)
Texas Wide Area Network (TxWARN) Project 25, Galveston County Simulcast
Galveston County Public Safety - Digital

The News credited Broadcastify just as they did with the Miami Florida Trump National Resort
shooting in northwest Miami-Dade County. That incident occured earlt this morning at1:30 a.m.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I doubt there is anything they will be able to do to stop this. For reasons more numerous than just shootings, I think the days of public/private schools are coming to an end. Teaching will be done in the home via cable TV, or internet, and private tutors when necessary or required.

Michael-SATX

As per News Conference Explosives Found on Campus !

I'm listening now to a local sheriff giving a press conference and he confirmed that
pipe bomb explosives were found on campus as well as materials found off campus.

Students were evacuated from the school buildings, and backpacks were searched
before they were then transported to a reunification facility at the Alamo Gym Bldg
located at 13306 Highway 6 Santa Fe, TX to be later reunited with their parents.
Parents are being told to go to this facility for information about their children.

1200 AM WOAI San Antonio 50kw Class A station cut from programing to carry live coverage
https://www.iheart.com/live/1200-woai-2361/‎Cached

740 AM KTRH Houston 50kw directional regional class station is another local news source.
https://www.iheart.com/live/news-radio-740-ktrh-2285/

Last edited:

flythunderbird

Feed Provider
I doubt there is anything they will be able to do to stop this.

At the risk of starting an argument, tighter security at schools would be a good start - limited number of entrances, screening at each entrance similar to an airport or a federal office building, plainclothes police officers walking the halls and grounds, etc. But all of that takes money, and school boards are loathe to cut things like sports and programs because sports and programs get board members re-elected ... security doesn't (yes, I am that cynical about school boards). It's a question of priorities; until school boards take security seriously, I'm afraid that nothing will change on the school security front.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Merged both threads discussing this.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
At the risk of starting an argument, tighter security at schools would be a good start - limited number of entrances, screening at each entrance similar to an airport or a federal office building, plainclothes police officers walking the halls and grounds, etc. But all of that takes money, and school boards are loathe to cut things like sports and programs because sports and programs get board members re-elected ... security doesn't (yes, I am that cynical about school boards). It's a question of priorities; until school boards take security seriously, I'm afraid that nothing will change on the school security front.

No need to argue, and I don't like to argue.

Normally I'd agree with you but most of that only works on rational people, or people that can be scared. These kind of animals aren't wired right and they don't scare or think about the consequences. If anything the bigger the challenge, the more of a rush they get from it. They 'want' to go out in a way that gets front page news, even if it's their own blood bath.

ipfd320

Banned
I Have Been Saying it For Years Now---Where are the Metal Detectors--No One Dares to Even Mention Them---How About Taking Some of the Six Figure Digit Superintendants and Other High Paying Sit Behind the Desk Jobs to Fund these Vital Units

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
I Have Been Saying it For Years Now---Where are the Metal Detectors--No One Dares to Even Mention Them---How About Taking Some of the Six Figure Digit Superintendants and Other High Paying Sit Behind the Desk Jobs to Fund these Vital Units

That's not 100% foolproof either! In Detroit, they simply toss them to their friend on the second floor through the window, or drop a cord down, tie it on and pull it up.

Detroit schools have metal detectors but they're all broken.

ipfd320

Banned
Really--Your Compairing Detroit vs Texas Sorry Man--I Highly Doubt all Schools Across the Country are Going to be 100 Fool Proof--But it Will Be a Good Deturent

On The Other Hand the Sherriffs Report Last Nite Stated the Fire Arms Came from the Fathers Stash---Why Didnt the Father have Trigger Locks on the Firearms or in a Locked Case with Him Having the Only Keys--Thats Even if there was One at All--Shame on Him

As for the Pipe Bombs Found Inside the School--Once Again Metal Detectors would have Picked That Up--The Molitovs That was Found Outside along with Other Un-Named Devices That Could have been Done and Set Overnight--PD Has No Report on Camera,s As of Last Night

I Understand the Security Lack and the Costs But There has to Be Some Give on whats Right instead of big Raises for Superintendants and Others that Dont Do a Dam Thing for the Schools

[quote} Detroit schools have metal detectors but they're all broken.

Well Thats a Problem that the Higher Officials Should be Addressing with the Governors Office--Shame on the School Superintendant for not Pressing the Issue for Repairs---God Forbid it it was the Courthouse or the Governors Palace You would See How Fast Those Get Repaired

Last edited:

cpetraglia

The sheriff needs to put his thinking cap on and find a way to charge the father. He is the guardian and should have protected his guns from a minor. I would say a good 5-10 years in prison would wake up all these families with lax control of their guns.

Then we talk about how much security costs. The 1.5 trillion that was given away to the richest people in this country would have gone a long way for school security. Instead we give it to people who don't need it.

Time to get to the polls in November in change the way this government does business.

fredva

Feed Provider
The sheriff needs to put his thinking cap on and find a way to charge the father. He is the guardian and should have protected his guns from a minor. I would say a good 5-10 years in prison would wake up all these families with lax control of their guns.

On the other hand, there have been several cases in which kids as young as 10 years old have grabbed a gun and shot an intruder. To be consistent, those parents would have to be charged too, which I don't think would go over very well.

A case that is much more clear cut in my mind is the father of the Waffle House shooter who had possession of his son's guns, knew that his son had mental issues and was barred from having guns in Illinois, but still handed the guns over to his son when he moved to Tennessee. I saw that the father was being sued by the family of one of the victims, which may provide some justice.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I wish people would have left their political views out of this thread and just discussed the radio aspect of this tragic event, but that didn't happen.

Closing.

Status
Not open for further replies.