BCD325P2/BCD996P2: Deaf BCD996P2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TongSlinger

Longtime Listener
Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had any issues with 996P2 suddenly stop receiving. I purchased in Jan 2020, and worked fine until about June /July. It just quits receiving 3 PD and SO (single Frequency) DMR system in 155-156 range the are 18 and 30 miles respectively. It not receiving on 3 specific frequencies 155.070, 155.595 and 155.685. if I go mobile and get within 5 miles of the towers they start receiving. i live in relative flat area and can easily receive 60 miles in my rural area. I reset the scanner several times over the next month, trying to get it to work. I finally sent it to Uniden and the kept it about a month sent it back. When checking repair results online at Uniden.com, all it says is "reset to factory settings" and "Serial Notes UNIT PERFORMS TO FACTORY SPECIFICATIONS"

It set beside a 996XT with the exact antenna. I am doing a side-by-side comparison using ARC-XT Pro to test these frequencies and display results:996XT vs 996P2 Freq 155.070 10.17.2020.jpg
for example

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Did you check to see if the firmware on the 996P2 is up to date? Shame on Uniden if they didn't.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Looking at your comparison pics between the 996XT & 996P2, I do see more "hits" on the XT scanner. But, since the 996XT cannot decode DMR, the "hits" may simply be static that it picked up along with an occasional "real" transmission, which would also sound somewhat like static on the 996XT.

Is this the county that you are in?

On the 996P2, how do you have those three DMR frequencies programmed? As conventional channels? Or, as one frequency trunked systems. Programming them as OFTs instead of simply conventional would allow you to use the TGID information as well as the color code. Programmed as conventional frequencies, entered as DMR, you can only provide the color code to look for. My reception on DMR channels is also better when entering them as OFTs instead of straight conventional.

Why the change in reception occurred in the June/July time frame, I don't know. There were no changes on the licenses for any of the listed frequencies. But that would not preclude different changes, such as transmit tower antennas being changed to alter the coverage pattern, or perhaps degradation due to a storm causing damage to the antennas, or possibly changing their "aim".

I realize that DMR has a narrower transmission width than analog, but I've had better results on my local DMR channels using "FM" instead of "NFM".

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
I would change those DMR ones from ID Scan to ID Search, might be using a different talkgroup ?
Also hoping not for you, but if they went encrypted, the Unidens will simply disregard those and just keep scanning.

TongSlinger

Longtime Listener
Premium Subscriber
Looking at your comparison pics between the 996XT & 996P2, I do see more "hits" on the XT scanner. But, since the 996XT cannot decode DMR, the "hits" may simply be static that it picked up along with an occasional "real" transmission, which would also sound somewhat like static on the 996XT.

Is this the county that you are in?

On the 996P2, how do you have those three DMR frequencies programmed? As conventional channels? Or, as one frequency trunked systems. Programming them as OFTs instead of simply conventional would allow you to use the TGID information as well as the color code. Programmed as conventional frequencies, entered as DMR, you can only provide the color code to look for. My reception on DMR channels is also better when entering them as OFTs instead of straight conventional.

Why the change in reception occurred in the June/July time frame, I don't know. There were no changes on the licenses for any of the listed frequencies. But that would not preclude different changes, such as transmit tower antennas being changed to alter the coverage pattern, or perhaps degradation due to a storm causing damage to the antennas, or possibly changing their "aim".

I realize that DMR has a narrower transmission width than analog, but I've had better results on my local DMR channels using "FM" instead of "NFM".

The XT scanner was receiving digital data, the P2 Was just hitting staticy chirps with no data dream.

It is Beckham county that I'm having trouble with. I believe i have them as single frequency systems. (picture attached)
996P2 BK Setup.jpg

QUOTE: (RONALDSKI): I would change those DMR ones from ID Scan to ID Search, might be using a different talkgroup ? QUOTE:

I also have Beckham County set up 2 ways Search and Scan. It has been setup this way from jump. Found an unlisted TG doing that.

The DMR channels start to receive when I go mobile and get within 5 miles,

Thanks for the Ideas. Look like it about time to go back to Uniden with documentation it's not receiving correctly.

TS

Attachments

• 1602982171936.png
    1602982171936.png
    463.9 KB · Views: 8

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
The XT scanner was receiving digital data, the P2 Was just hitting staticy chirps with no data dream.

It is Beckham county that I'm having trouble with. I believe i have them as single frequency systems. (picture attached)
View attachment 92905

QUOTE: (RONALDSKI): I would change those DMR ones from ID Scan to ID Search, might be using a different talkgroup ? QUOTE:

I also have Beckham County set up 2 ways Search and Scan. It has been setup this way from jump. Found an unlisted TG doing that.

The DMR channels start to receive when I go mobile and get within 5 miles,

Thanks for the Ideas. Look like it about time to go back to Uniden with documentation it's not receiving correctly.

TS
It's hard to tell just from your picture, but it appears as if you have entered these as an actual DMR system, not as "One Frequency" trunked systems.

These are not in a true DMR trunked system. So, if you have the 996P2 set up as a multi-channel DMR trunked system, you are, in effect, telling the scanner to track it. That's not going to work for several reasons. First, for a true DMR trunked system, all of the frequencies in the system would be using the same color code, and be in the same site. Looking at the county database page, each one of these frequencies have a different color code. Also, if programmed as a "DMR Trunked System", the 996P2 needs to have the LCN values entered. LCNs are not used for single channels like these.

If you look at the system in your software, what system type does it show?

I don't have ARC-XT, so I can't really look at your actual file, or send you a file as I believe it should be programmed. (I use ProScan; FreeSCAN does not correctly handle DMR, so an example created by FreeSCAN would be just about useless.)

You have the "department" expanded in your screenshot. Instead, try to expand the site(s) so that we can see how these are programmed more clearly.

TongSlinger

Longtime Listener
Premium Subscriber
I have freescan software and can read the system in question with freescan and send file if that will help.

Here is a screenshot for the sites tab:
1603025060626.png

TongSlinger

Longtime Listener
Premium Subscriber
Both 996's are sitting side be side.
1) Each are using their own factory telescoping antennas.
2) Yes, receiving 162..525 loud and clear. On the other hand, 996XT is not as strong.

996XT 996P2
1603029161901.png

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
Sitting side by side is not fair sharing the same antenna with a multiplexer is fair.
If it receives the weather channels the receiver is not deaf.
You problem is these are conventional repeaters why do you have this set up as a multiple trunking system?
You need to set up each on as a SINGLE FREQUENCY TRUNKING as each agency is a separate system.

hightime

I might as well give you another option to try. Using the radio menu button check the search/close call option and make sure the attenuator is in the off setting. Same thing with the sites that are give you issues, but use the radio menu button, and make sure the attenuator is off. That's my best offer good Luck

TongSlinger

Longtime Listener
Premium Subscriber
It has been working this way since I programmed it when the scanner was new. ARC did a terrible job of downloading the Beckham system. i built the file by had using ARC because I didn't know any other way to program it. I will have to purchase Proscan before i can look/use the file. I will try the way you suggest one I get ProScan. This still doesnt explain why i am having trouble receiving from 155.070 as you could see in the side by side of that frequency does it? The signal strength is certainly strong enough, that it should have tripped. What is the DMR threshold setting?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I have freescan software and can read the system in question with freescan and send file if that will help.
As I noted previously, FreeSCAN does not correctly handle DMR systems, so creating a FreeSCAN file to import is pointless.
I don't have ARC-XT, so I can't really look at your actual file, or send you a file as I believe it should be programmed. (I use ProScan; FreeSCAN does not correctly handle DMR, so an example created by FreeSCAN would be just about useless.)
Here is a screenshot for the sites tab:
View attachment 92929

You have it set up, incorrectly, as I was trying to point out in post #10.

For a "true" DMR trunked system, with multiple channels at one site, all of them would be using the same color code. If it was an actual system, with four frequencies, then each frequency would be labeled with an LCN (logical channel number). LCNs are not needed if this was set up correctly as a One Frequency Trunked system.

I see that you have DMR as part of the system's name. But looking at your example, I do not see the fields needed to designate the LCN.s The LCN's may, or may not, be in numerical order on a given system, but even so, there would not be an LCN 0. The numbers that are shown in your screenshot only identify the position of the numbers as programmed, but they are not LCNs. While I can't confirm this without seeing how ARC describes this system (that should show up had you selected the tio line for the system, instead of the site level), this may actually have been created using the template for a P25 system.

If this were a true DMR, multi-channel, trunked system, then the site would look like this. (Screenshot is from a system in my area, via ProScan, but ARC should display something similar.)

1603045869927.png
Look at this file with PROSCAN it should work better. Also PROSCAN supports DMR better.

Taking a screenshot from the file that buddrousa posted, this is what you should see if the system name line is selected instead of the site:
1603044952186.png

Again, that screenshot is from ProScan. ARC-XT may be somewhat different, but you should see somewhere that basic information as to the system type being used.
It has been working this way since I programmed it when the scanner was new. ARC did a terrible job of downloading the Beckham system. i built the file by had using ARC because I didn't know any other way to program it. I will have to purchase Proscan before i can look/use the file. I will try the way you suggest one I get ProScan. This still doesnt explain why i am having trouble receiving from 155.070 as you could see in the side by side of that frequency does it? The signal strength is certainly strong enough, that it should have tripped. What is the DMR threshold setting?
You do not have to immediately purchase ProScan, unless you had previously installed it and used the 30-day free trial. Presuming that you have never installed ProScan, not even for a trial period, then if you install it now, all the features are usable. The full program is in play for the trial period; after the thirty day trial, then you'd need to either purchase ProScan, or discontinue using it.

The way your system is shoehorned in there, it's not going to work correctly. Possibly, if you got close enough to the transmitter, the scanner might, somehow, pick up some transmissions, but that would be hit or miss.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.