BCD436HP/BCD536HP: Dear Uniden

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasMcKean

I was just updating the firmware on the 436 and the cover snapped off the SD card. I have no idea how this thing goes back on, or if it it even goes back on at all.

For what I paid for this, I expected better quality.

I am very disappointed.

ThomasMcKean

I think the real question is "Why did you remove/try to remove the card?"

Because I thought, with what I paid for this thing, that the cover was quality enough that it not pop off. Clearly I was an idiot to believe that something would be quality just because I paid for quality. I should have known better.

bravo14

Premium Subscriber
I think the real question is "Why did you remove/try to remove the card?"

I take the sd card out and put it in a card reader. I try to avoid using the usb port since the cord is short and barely bump the unit and it won't read to computer correctly.

Last edited:

garys

Premium Subscriber
I think the question was why would you think it necessary to remove the SD card to update the firmware? It's not necessary to do an update, at least I've never found it so.

Because I thought, with what I paid for this thing, that the cover was quality enough that it not pop off. Clearly I was an idiot to believe that something would be quality just because I paid for quality. I should have known better.

ThomasMcKean

I think the question was why would you think it necessary to remove the SD card to update the firmware? It's not necessary to do an update, at least I've never found it so.

That may be, but it shouldn't BREAK when you do. What if what I wanted to do was put a higher capacity card in? Same thing would have happened. Between this and the fact that it is has the worst belt clip ever seen on a scanner, I am having some serious buyer's remorse.

I am feeling guilty about giving my support to a company that does this. It's a nice scanner. EXCEPT for the SD cover and EXCEPT for the belt clip. Would it have hurt them so much to get those right, too? So many other people have done it, why couldn't they? There is no excuse for this. Not in a scanner costing this much. I'd expect it in a cheap piece of crap. But not this. Stop defending them for making crap. It doesn't look good on you.

ecarvalho

But Uniden scanners are consumer grade products, not sure what you assumed you paid for here. Quality is not what these scanners are known for, sadly.

lindsay34654

That may be, but it shouldn't BREAK when you do. What if what I wanted to do was put a higher capacity card in? Same thing would have happened. Between this and the fact that it is has the worst belt clip ever seen on a scanner, I am having some serious buyer's remorse.

I am feeling guilty about giving my support to a company that does this. It's a nice scanner. EXCEPT for the SD cover and EXCEPT for the belt clip. Would it have hurt them so much to get those right, too? So many other people have done it, why couldn't they? There is no excuse for this. Not in a scanner costing this much. I'd expect it in a cheap piece of crap. But not this. Stop defending them for making crap. It doesn't look good on you.

OK you were asked about why the card was removed several times and you danced around the answer. in order to break a card door on a scanner. these are supposed to be handled easy. you still have not answered why you took the card out to program it. I have been using scanners since 1963 and only broke one once that was because I did not know what I was doing. I had every model from Regency Motorola BC to Uniden these are all the same company. You only need to take the card out when you are going to change it to a larger card not to program. Next time be careful with it.

ThomasMcKean

But Uniden scanners are consumer grade products, not sure what you assumed you paid for here. Quality is not what these scanners are known for, sadly.

If I am paying hundreds of dollars, I (and you as well) have a right to expect that the card cover is not going to break the first time we take a card out. I believe, given the cost of the product, that it is a reasonable assumption that the cover will last longer than that.

If you can tell me where I am wrong about this, I am surely willing to listen.

ecarvalho

Get over it ... its cheap plastic, the wrong here is that assumption this is a high grade product. $500 bucks is hardly alot of money

ThomasMcKean

OK you were asked about why the card was removed several times and you danced around the answer. in order to break a card door on a scanner. these are supposed to be handled easy. you still have not answered why you took the card out to program it. I have been using scanners since 1963 and only broke one once that was because I did not know what I was doing. I had every model from Regency Motorola BC to Uniden these are all the same company. You only need to take the card out when you are going to change it to a larger card not to program. Next time be careful with it.

I am not dancing around the question. I answered it. Another question is why you, as a consumer, are defending their use of a crappy door. I did "handle it easy." It broke anyway. The very first time I took the card out. It really looks like it was designed just to fall apart. Had I taken the card out to put a larger card in, the same thing would have happened. I have also had Regency, BC, and Motorola. None of them ever broke as easy as this one did.

ecarvalho

Call Uniden, see if this is something that can be replaced. Just don't expect these radios to be perfect based on the cost you believe is high. I do honestly hope you get it sorted out.
I must confess that it's the first time I see that happen. Good luck man.

ThomasMcKean

Get over it ... its cheap plastic, the wrong here is that assumption this is a high grade product. $500 bucks is hardly alot of money

It isn't cheap plastic. It's cheap metal and bad design. Seriously. It is like they went out of their way to make this as cheap and as horrible and as breakable as they possibly could. That's really kinda what's bothering me about this. How so little thought they put into it. Same with the belt clip. No thought whatsoever.

ThomasMcKean

Call Uniden, see if this is something that can be replaced. Just don't expect these radios to be perfect based on the cost you believe is high. I do honestly hope you get it sorted out.
I must confess that it's the first time I see that happen. Good luck man.

I do not expect them to be perfect either. But I do expect to be able to take the card out at least once before it breaks. That didn't happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.