Death of Bob Lyons of Scannerworld

Status
Not open for further replies.

admin256

Just wanted everyone to know that Bob Lyons, the longtime owner of Scanner World in Albany passed away. Many of you I am sure remember Bob from lower New Scotland Avenue and when he was on Colvin Avenue for years later moving to Colonie. He had quite the operation. Used to look forward to the monthly catalogues from Scannerworld.

NuthinFancy

Premium Subscriber
I purchased my BCD996T from them over in Colonie off of Central Avenue years ago, nice place if they didn't stop selling scanners ,only accessories I would have gave them more business.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
I purchased my BCD996T from them over in Colonie off of Central Avenue years ago, nice place if they didn't stop selling scanners ,only accessories I would have gave them more business.
Agreed. In later years, after moving to Interstate Ave. in Colonie, they became a shadow of the store they were on New Scotland Ave. They seemed to have a mix of communications accessories and unrelated trinkets. As I recall, the last radios they sold were CB's.

jgorman21

Premium Subscriber
I first met Bob in 1968-9? Operating out of his pickup truck first (“Four Wheeler Communications!) Always kind. Came to my house to meet the first time. I remember his excitement when opening the Colvin Ave Store. Then there was his classic car collection during the New Scotland Ave years.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
This is sad to hear. I've purchased quite a few radios from him over the years. Always no nonsense and I thought competitive in pricing too.

garys

Premium Subscriber
Sad to hear this. I never met Bob, but I bought a lot of scanners from him. Starting in the early 1980s he always had a good selection and competitive prices.

I'm not making this up when I say that one time I ordered a scanner early in the morning and UPS dropped it off late afternoon. His service was that good. I remember talking to the woman (his wife maybe) who answered the phones. She told me that they had four UPS trucks leave per day, they were that busy.

fire38756

Premium Subscriber
I bought several scanners from Scanner World back in the 80's and 90's. Always looked forward to receiving the catalogs. I remember the first time I called after receiving my first "Scanner World" catalog, I asked the lady was this "Four Wheeler Communications" because the catalog and address looked the same. She quickly responded "this is Scanner World". I didn't question her any further. Thanks jgorman21 for clearing that up in my mind after 30 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.