Death Valley Freqs

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioGuy1951

Premium Subscriber
Does anybody know the frequency / mode of the radio link between Saline Hot Springs and Furnace Creek...??? It's supposed to be used for emergency only. Open grid parabolic antenna at the hot springs site...

ALSO...on a trip later this year I'll go from Bakersfield to Las Vegas via Kramers Jct. return north of LV on Hwy 95, west through Daylight Pass, through DVNP to LOne Pine, then up 395 to Reno...

What highway Patrol freqs, plus local S.O. freqs would y'all suggest for my scanners...???

Also 2m repeaters freqs...???

Thanks in advance...

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
CHP

What highway Patrol freqs, plus local S.O. freqs would y'all suggest for my scanners...???
I personally keep all of the CHP frequencies programmed, but that's just me. You never know when you might take a different route than expected, or the radio traffic is (temporarily) moved.

The main channels to program are INLAND BLUE & INLAND GOLD. Link

markclark

Premium Subscriber
For your return trip to Reno:

I can tell you this CHP is on the Gold Channel all the way north to the state line, including all of Death Valley; Bishop is the dispatch point. Plug in the Blue Channel too.

Look in the database for Inyo and Mono Counties SO, they have one dispatch channel for each county with good coverage in each county.

NHP is more complicated. The southernmost site on 395 is at Topaz Lake then going north try the Minden Site then the Dayton Site (sometimes called Rawe Peak) through Minden and Carson City. Going north on 395 to into Washoe County, southern end, switch to either the Slide Mountain or Mc Clellan (Carson) sites.

In the Reno area plug in the Washoe County Metro Systems for good coverage of the Reno Metro area. Go to the Nevada forums and ask for info on the Southern Nevada area and more advice on the area between Topaz and Carson City. All NHP dispatch traffic in Northwestern Nevada will be on Reno, Carson City and Rural dispatch channels.

The system is EDACS so you may need to plug each site in a different bank together with the TG's. I use a GRE; your scanner may handle EDACS programming differently. I don't have clue how Uniden handles EDACS programming.

In the Reno area I have four banks programmed in the metro area: Reno, Sparks, WCSO, and NHP. That saves time scrolling through dozens of TG's. Just assign each agency it's own bank for the metro area if your scanner programs like GRE. Good luck.

LZJSR

Premium Subscriber
For Inyo County south end (Tecopa-Shoshone-Death Valley): 154.725 (Southern Inyo Fire and also Inyo Sheriff).
DVNP: 170.1
BLM: 166.375
Clark County NV Rural Fire: 152.0075

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Does anybody know the frequency / mode of the radio link between Saline Hot Springs and Furnace Creek...??? It's supposed to be used for emergency only. Open grid parabolic antenna at the hot springs site...

Great memories of the Chicken Strip and an absolutely unbreakable C172. =)

No clue on the frequency of the RF link. A grid dish antenna reduces the possibilities. Most likely 2 GHz or 960 MHz, but could be lower.

ladn

Explorer of the Frequency Spectrum
Premium Subscriber
Southern California and sometimes Owens Valley
Scanner frequencies seem to have been well addressed, but I would add the CHP VHF extender frequency of 154.905 plus the newer 700 MHz extenders.

There's not a lot of 2M repeater activity in DV and the Owens Valley, but a fair amount as you get into the Carson Valley and Reno areas. For DV and Owens Valley, look up the 2m repeaters on Mt. Potosi (Las Vegas area); the Bishop ARC repeaters at Little Lake, Mazourka Peak and Silver Peak have very good coverage and are linked; the Mammoth Mtn. repeater gives solid coverage in the northern Owens Valley and the Hawthorne NV repeater fills in some of the gaps as you get up around Bridgeport.

The Repeaterbook website (www.repeaterbook.com) seems to be fairly accurate. I use their mobile app when traveling.

ShawnInPaso

Premium Subscriber
Ditto on the Bishop ARC machines. They can be worked from Coso Junction to well north of Mammoth with the right setup. Great bunch of guys over there.

gvranchosbill

NHP Sites on 395 north and i have used my handheld scanner for these starting at topaz lake.

Topaz Lake Area (These are not active unless unit in area but you will hear cc channel, when this happens i use slide mtn it looks south better than any other site)
Site
011 Wild Oat Mtn (Hwy 395 and 208)
111 Bald Mtn (East of Smith Valley)
023 Pine Grove (East of Topaz Lake)
002 Slide Mtn (Weak or broken till Hwy 395 and Leviathan Mine rd)

Gardnerville/Minden/Carson City Area
Site
002 Slide Mtn (Coverage is very good from south of gardnerville all the way to reno)
120 Minden (Carson Valley coverage only)
022 McClellan Pk (Carson City coverage)

Reno Area
002 Slide Mtn
001 Metro Simulcast (Coverage good starting in southern reno)

I can hear these from Topaz Lake
154.8000/Multi MONO CO SHERIFF-MONO 01
154.7250/103.5 INYO CO SHERIFF
154.8750/131.8 BISHOP POLICE DEPT-BISHOP 02
155.1300/173.8 DOUGLAS CO SHERIFF-North/South (Coverage south county)
154.7400/118.8 DOUGLAS CO SHERIFF-East Pk (Coverage countywide)

Last edited:

ME801

No radio/microwave link between the Hot Springs and FC. The antenna you saw is RX only. The NPS camp host has a NPS two way for comms with NPS dispatch on the park net, a mobile in his vehicle and a portable. When I left the mobiles were XTS5K and portables were Kings.

Status
Not open for further replies.