Debating between the BCD436HP and the SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Yes another thread about these 2 scanners I know.. So let me explain my situation, I live 1700ft from a cell tower and I currently have a Radioshack Pro-651 that gets frontend overload on the stock antenna and the radioshack 800Mhz antenna BUT does ok when hooked to my multiband dipole go figure. This is of course less than ideal as I like to move around the house and the XYL would not approve of more coax in various rooms lol. I've included a few pics 1 with good signal on the 800Mhz antenna but no decode and 1 on the dipole not a great signal but decent decode.

The problem is not present on my XTS3000 and it's stock antenna and yes I realize I'm comparing a commerical radio to a consumer receiver, so I figure it's down to the filtering and I'm going to buy a filter I saw at scannermaster and see if it helps any. I'm wanting to upgrade to Phase 2 but I also don't want to buy something I can't use so I'm looking for recommendations/suggestions.

Thanks,

Rob
K2RJJ

Attachments

• Screenshot_4.jpg
    Screenshot_4.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 91
  • Screenshot_6.jpg
    Screenshot_6.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_5.jpg
    Screenshot_5.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 68

djeplett

I say buy either one from a vendor who has a good return policy and try it out. With that flame thrower down the street you're going to have trouble no matter which unit you buy. So try the 436 first and I hope you get lucky.

I_am_Alpha1

iMonitor says it all. In the long run, the SDS would be the better buy. Your current scanner works with an outside antenna, but not so much with the rubber duck inside--could it be something in the house and not the cell tower? Something to consider--a new scanner may not help, or it may with the newer technology inside.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
iMonitor says it all. In the long run, the SDS would be the better buy. Your current scanner works with an outside antenna, but not so much with the rubber duck inside--could it be something in the house and not the cell tower? Something to consider--a new scanner may not help, or it may with the newer technology inside.

I had considered that and tried the scanner on battery power with the main breaker off and still had the same issue. The only thing I'm seeing on my cheap spectrum analyzer is the cellular frequency.

Rob
K2RJJ

Attachments

• Screenshot_7.jpg
    Screenshot_7.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 42

Ubbe

.... I currently have a Radioshack Pro-651 that gets frontend overload on the stock antenna and the radioshack 800Mhz antenna BUT does ok when hooked to my multiband dipole go figure..... good signal on the 800Mhz antenna but no decode.
What's a multiband dipole? Is it several dipoles connected to a common coax?

It sounds as if it is a simulcast problem as other have suggested. When you use an antenna that gives a very weak signals you only receive one site, but with a better antenna you receive several sites and then you get the simulcast distorsion where you will need a SDS scanner. You could probably also use a highly directive antenna to fix it but you state that you probably would get into trouble having more coaxes and external antennas and you also would like to move around freely in the house with a scanner.

/Ubbe

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
Would you be monitoring the Atlantic County system, specifically the Hammonton/Buena simulcast sites? If so, what are the chances you are a victim of simulcast distortion, rather than the cell tower?

If simulcast is your culprit, the SDS is the clear choice. You will find it has just as clear reception on simulcast systems as does your XTS3000.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
What's a multiband dipole? Is it several dipoles connected to a common coax?

It sounds as if it is a simulcast problem as other have suggested. When you use an antenna that gives a very weak signals you only receive one site, but with a better antenna you receive several sites and then you get the simulcast distorsion where you will need a SDS scanner. You could probably also use a highly directive antenna to fix it but you state that you probably would get into trouble having more coaxes and external antennas and you also would like to move around freely in the house with a scanner.

/Ubbe

A multiband horizontally polorized ham radio antenna. The system I am attempting to monitor at the moment is only an analog motorola system. That's how I can rule out simulacast problems. It's simple frontend overload.

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Would you be monitoring the Atlantic County system, specifically the Hammonton/Buena simulcast sites? If so, what are the chances you are a victim of simulcast distortion, rather than the cell tower?

If simulcast is your culprit, the SDS is the clear choice. You will find it has just as clear reception on simulcast systems as does your XTS3000.

That system and the NJICS are what I would like to be able to monitor I'm just trying to figure out which scanner if any will be able to handle the noise of this cell tower first. Since the XTS3000 can monitor both the analog system and the NJSP Motorola Type II SmartZone my guess is the scanner is simply overloaded by the cell tower. I'm guessing till I get the filter in test it I won't know which scanner if any will work..

Rob
K2RJJ

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
I say buy either one from a vendor who has a good return policy and try it out. With that flame thrower down the street you're going to have trouble no matter which unit you buy. So try the 436 first and I hope you get lucky.
So I did decide to go with your recommendation and I purchased the BCD436HP and it is thus far working great. Little bit of a learning curve but a good scanner and it decodes P1 and P2 great, I love it.

Rob
K2RJJ

djeplett

So I did decide to go with your recommendation and I purchased the BCD436HP and it is thus far working great. Little bit of a learning curve but a good scanner and it decodes P1 and P2 great, I love it.

Rob
K2RJJ
Awesome! Glad it's working out for you.

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Just curious from the people who chimed in here who may own an SDS100 - I'm frequently in a downtown area that I can easily receive 5 bars of reception and not be able to decode anything due to what seems to be cell interference on a 700mhz system. Similar issue to the poster. Not a simulcast issue. Does the SDS100 cut through that interference better usually than the 436 does?

robnj74

Premium Subscriber
Atlantic County appears to be using a Harris P25 Phase 2 system. The SDS100 or Unication G4/G5 pagers are your only choices.
The 2 talk groups I am listening to on that system (Buena/Buena Vista EMS and Countywide Fire and EMS) come in just fine on the 436hp.

Rob
K2RJJ

Ubbe

Does the SDS100 cut through that interference better usually than the 436 does?
No. Uniden had to add extra filter settings in the SDS scanners to make it work better but it is still no where as good as a 436 when it comes to receiving non-simulcast systems in difficult signal enviroments. If there's absolutly no interferencies in the frequency band then the SDS100 can be more sensitive than the 436.

/Ubbe

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Just curious from the people who chimed in here who may own an SDS100 - I'm frequently in a downtown area that I can easily receive 5 bars of reception and not be able to decode anything due to what seems to be cell interference on a 700mhz system. Similar issue to the poster. Not a simulcast issue. Does the SDS100 cut through that interference better usually than the 436 does?
Is the 700 system you are monitoring a single site system? P25? Is it listed in the RRDB?

Enjoi19

Premium Subscriber
Four multicast sites, or 4 simulcast sites? (cells)?

I believe it's multicast. The traffic on each site is different and I've never heard simulcast distortion. But I've yet to really confirm it nor see any posts regarding it. I mostly listen to fire on it. Each command always goes to their own site, but some larger calls tend to simulcast off the south tower (Which seemingly has the best and widest reception).

Status
Not open for further replies.