Dec & Hex

Status
Not open for further replies.

dainom89

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
16
Im new to scanning, and ive seen this

DEC HEX Mode Display Description
16368 3ff A TriSvcs Announce All-Calls - Fire/Police/EMS-Wide
17040 429 A B9 COMMAND Tri-Services Command
17072 42b A B10 COMMAND Tri-Services Command

What is it that the "DEC" & "HEX" mean?

and how to i get to those frequencies that have these numbers and such

thanks :)
 

newbie

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
294
Location
St Clair, Michigan
dainom89 said:
Im new to scanning, and ive seen this

DEC HEX Mode Display Description
16368 3ff A TriSvcs Announce All-Calls - Fire/Police/EMS-Wide
17040 429 A B9 COMMAND Tri-Services Command
17072 42b A B10 COMMAND Tri-Services Command

What is it that the "DEC" & "HEX" mean?

and how to i get to those frequencies that have these numbers and such

thanks :)
DEC = Decimal = base 10 number scheme. The way you count
HEX = Hexidecimal or base 16 number scheme 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, a, b, c, d, e, f, then 10 through 1f and so on....
 

dainom89

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
16
So im still not quite sure i understand.
if this is the dec & hex 16368 3ff what would the frequecy be?
 

dainom89

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
16
Im in calgary alberta canada.
i just got my scanner a few days ago and still trying to figure everything out
 

newbie

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
294
Location
St Clair, Michigan
Scroll up a little bit and see the part

System Frequencies

Site-001
Bankers Hall
CGA398
866.0375*
866.1875
866.5375
866.6875
867.0375
867.1875
867.5375
867.6875
868.0375
868.1875
868.5375

Also site 002.... and sop on. You need to program those in and depending on your scanner model you may only need to program in the control channels
 

dainom89

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
16
My scanner is the uniden BC350C
I've tried the control chanels, they give me some weird sound but no talking.. ive tried adjusting the SQ and it still gives me the noise.. on most if not all of the control channels.
 

newbie

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
294
Location
St Clair, Michigan
dainom89 said:
My scanner is the uniden BC350C
I've tried the control chanels, they give me some weird sound but no talking.. ive tried adjusting the SQ and it still gives me the noise.. on most if not all of the control channels.
You need all the channels programmed in
 

seamusg

Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
2,181
Location
Grand Blanc, MI
dainom89 said:
Im in calgary alberta canada.
i just got my scanner a few days ago and still trying to figure everything out
It looks like this is the system you're trying. http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=204
You'll have to determine which site or sites you can receive and program them in as a MOT II system. How to program it depends on what scanner you have. It also helps to goto the WIKI and read up on how trunking works. Also welcome to the site. There is a lot of information on scanning and scanners here, mostly in the WIKI.
 

dainom89

Member
Joined
Sep 13, 2006
Messages
16
newbie said:
You need all the channels programmed in
So take all of the freq. and program them into my scanner?
then i can hear the control channels, or does this scanner just not pick up the controls
 

seamusg

Member
Joined
Feb 10, 2004
Messages
2,181
Location
Grand Blanc, MI
dainom89 said:
I dont think my scanner is a trunked system
I don't think it is a trunking scanner either. You could put in the freqs in conventional mode and leave out the control channels, but you won't see the talk groups. You can listen to a trunked system with a conventional scanner, but you can't follow a conversation, since it will change frequencies all the time.
 
R

Rayjk110

Guest
Here HEX

1-0001
2-0010
3-0011
4-0100
5-0101
6-0110
7-0111
8-1000
9-1001
A-1010
B-1011
C-1100
D-1101
E-1110
F-1111

So say you wanted to convert 12[DEC] to HEX, it would be C, or the equivelant of 1100.

The 4 digit HEX works like this - to acheive 7, it would be 0111, 1 as "ON", or YES, 0 as "OFF", or NO. So, 4+2+1=7. That's why it only goes to "F", or '15', because HEX can only consist of number variants/combinations on 8,4,2 and 1. Binary to DEC is the same way, only a BIT string is 8 characters (bytes) and goes more left-ward to 128.

8 4 2 1
___ ____ ____ ____
0 1 1 1
 

newbie

Member
Joined
Nov 23, 2004
Messages
294
Location
St Clair, Michigan
Rayjk110 said:
Here HEX

1-0001
2-0010
3-0011
4-0100
5-0101
6-0110
7-0111
8-1000
9-1001
A-1010
B-1011
C-1100
D-1101
E-1110
F-1111

So say you wanted to convert 12[DEC] to HEX, it would be C, or the equivelant of 1100.

The 4 digit HEX works like this - to acheive 7, it would be 0111, 1 as "ON", or YES, 0 as "OFF", or NO. So, 4+2+1=7. That's why it only goes to "F", or '15', because HEX can only consist of number variants/combinations on 8,4,2 and 1. Binary to DEC is the same way, only a BIT string is 8 characters (bytes) and goes more left-ward to 128.

8 4 2 1
___ ____ ____ ____
0 1 1 1

While that is a correct interpretaion of hex in binary. you limited it to a "nibble" or half a byte. it is not limited to only combinations of 8 + 4 + 2 + 1

HEX
10 = 16
11 = 17
12 = 18

and so on u well past 0xffffffff
 
R

Rayjk110

Guest
Yes I know, it goes all the way up from 128, 64, 32, 16, 8, 4, 2, 1 for a # > DEC conversion. And obviously you would split the 2 segments to get your HEX.
 

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
Joined
Oct 20, 2002
Messages
12,911
Location
Katy, TX
For DEC and HEX explanations and how it applies to the data you see here in the Database, please see the FAQ section of the Wiki (link above) and especially the Common Programming Questions page.

To: dainom89
As has been pointed out, the BC350C is not a trunk tracking scanner, it will not really work for the system you are trying to monitor. Refer again to the Wiki about Trunking and the then check out the specifications of the various models on the Wiki.

Since, once again we have individuals attempting to explain DEC & HEX, I am closing this thread. It is not that your explanations are wrong, it is just that in regard to the HEX value in the RR DB, there is no need to explain them at all.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top