Decatur Ambulance Service to shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
Pana Reacts - Pana hospital reacts to planned Decatur Ambulance Service closure
Decatur City Speaks out - City Speaks Out on Decatur Ambulance Service Dissolving

HSHS St Mary's purchased the company in 2018. It currently serves residents of Decatur/Macon County, Pana/Christian County, Shelbyville/Shelby County and surrounding communities. They have been serving the area since 1959. It is the only ambulance service in Decatur and many of these communities.

State law requires large employers to give 60 days advance notice before mass layoffs. Despite the Sept. 1 termination notice, Kindseth said that HSHS has committed to keep the ambulance service around until there's a transition to a new provider.
The closure comes four years after a competing ambulance company fell one vote short of being licensed by the Decatur City Council. Champaign-based Arrow Ambulance, which was being backed by Decatur Memorial Hospital, had sought to become the city's second licensed provider.

As of February 2020, the company had a fleet of 19 ambulances staffed by 24 emergency medical technicians and 50 paramedics.

They have a DMR Capacity Plus System with 5 sites: Decatur Ambulance Service Trunking System, Decatur, Illinois

Website - Home | Decatur Ambulance Service

The hospital system's full statement is below:
After detailed research and discernment, HSHS St. Mary’s Decatur leadership has decided to dissolve the pre-hospital service line of Decatur Ambulance Service (DAS) in the coming months. We are working in collaboration with city officials to secure another vendor to service the community before the closure of September 1, 2022. Our objective is for the public to not see any disruption in service when the need for emergent care arises.
This decision was weighed heavily, as we have been proud and privileged to serve the residents of Decatur, Pana and surrounding communities. We are dedicated to ensuring that the community continues to have access to emergency care delivered at a high level.
The pre-hospital care environment is a specialized one. There are numerous external agencies whose sole business is in-the-field care and transport who can take over and continue to deliver this service at the expert level currently given. Factors that led us to this service closure include the current and very difficult landscape for filling open positions with quality candidates in this high-demand field and the ongoing cost of upgrading necessary equipment, vehicles and other supplies

The colleagues of DAS deliver high-quality care and the performance of their duties has not impacted this decision and we truly thank them for their years of service. Colleagues will be considered to transition to open positions within St. Mary’s Hospital or other HSHS entities if they are qualified and want to remain with HSHS. In addition, there is high demand in the field of pre-hospital care and their skill and expertise could be an asset to any future agency in our area.
Overall, we’ve laid a strong foundation of pre-hospital care in the community and we will continue collaborative discussions to open opportunities for additional pre-hospital businesses to join our community.

Maggiedog

Just to add some radio history, in the 60's and 70's, they operated on the low band with whip antennas on their ambulances. There was a very distictive tone transmitted when any radio mic was keyed. The original owner of the company was totally dedicated 24/7. He had a radio by the bedside and you would frequently hear his sleepy voice on the air in the middle of the night. It was interesting listening.

RTmed519

Premium Subscriber
If Decatur and surrounding communities aren't taken over by more rural, smaller ambulance companies, the three most likely providers to take over service are:
  • Arrow Ambulance (Currently covers a majority of Champaign Co., Vermilion Co., Olney, and Tuscola)
  • AMT Ambulance (Previously PRO, who now covers a good portion of Champaign Co, Vermilion Co, most of Peoria/Tazewell, part of Springfield, and part of Piatt County).
  • AMR

The issue is that DAS closed because they were short on resources. Staff, vehicles, and supplies. All 3 of the above agencies are dealing with the same problems, so I don't see any of them taking over Decatur single-handedly.

On the radio side, if any of the above do take over that area, they'll probably switch to Starcom, as all 3 of the agencies above are already on Starcom. I'm not too familiar with the rural areas in Macon county, and the smaller communities DAS served, so I can't speak on those if a rural agency takes over.

Wy9k

Premium Subscriber
I live in Decatur…people have commented on america ambulance in Springfield has been running calls per say. Mostly transfers. The only closer service would be dewitt county. I missed the days of listening to das before they went encrypted

RTmed519

Premium Subscriber
I live in Decatur…people have commented on america ambulance in Springfield has been running calls per say. Mostly transfers. The only closer service would be dewitt county. I missed the days of listening to das before they went encrypted
A lot of the rural agencies and even county fire departments are short on units/staff as well. I'm wondering if multiple agencies will come together and cover the city, similar to how Champaign County, Vermilion County, and Sangamon County work. Areas are split into medic zones (M1/M2/M4 [CC], Medic East, and Medic West [VC]). Springfield is slightly different, but it's still covered by multiple agencies.

If they did this, I could see 1-2 units from 3 agencies coming together, and covering the city of Decatur.

I missed the days of listening to das before they went encrypted

I didn't live close enough to pick them up from home when they weren't ENC. Occasionally I'd pick them up while on the west side of Champaign, or in Piatt. I could count on my two hands how many times I heard DAS traffic.

Wy9k

Premium Subscriber
Wow. I run a dmr radio in promiscuous mode with all freqs running. They were busy depending on the time of day. Im surprised that The other ems system that wanted to come into Decatur maybe wont try and come back?

RTmed519

Premium Subscriber
They were busy depending on the time of day.
A majority of the times I'd be close enough to pick it up, it was late and I wasn't there long enough to hear much.

Im surprised that The other ems system that wanted to come into Decatur maybe wont try and come back?
It's a possibility, but unlikely that they'll fully take over. They're dealing with an EMT/Medic shortage, just like all other companies around the US (mostly due to COVID).

RTmed519

Premium Subscriber
Kirby and AMT to my knowledge visited the Decatur ambulance properties and decided to refrain from submitting an application. My guess is the union-based company DAS used to be.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin

City officials narrowed down their list of options to three and from there they settled on Abbott EMS/GMR.

The company was issued a license to operate ambulance services and now begins the transition process to the new provider.

Abbott EMS/GMR's parent company, Global Medical Response (GMR), has been in operation since 1996 and provides service in 40 states.

RELATED: Decatur searching for new ambulance service

City officials say the fact that Abbott EMS/GMR has comparable operations in the region also means they would likely have more ready access to temporarily back-up, short-term staffing vacancies in Decatur, or to supply back-up vehicles in the event of unplanned breakdowns or accidents.

Abbott EMS will provide six Advanced Life Support (ALS) units and two Quick Response Vehicles (QRV) units. The company has indicated they would seek to employ a majority of Decatur Ambulance Service (DAS) staff if they wish.

RELATED: Decatur asks ambulance company candidates to serve bordering towns

For more information, you can reach out to the City Manager’s Office at 217-424-2801. Chapter 53 of the City Code regarding the ambulance license can be found here: City Code - City of Decatur, IL.

RTmed519

Premium Subscriber
Is it known what other ambulance companies were on the list of options?
Lakeside, Echo, and Rural Med submitted applications as well. I believe AMT and Kirby visited/considered, but ultimately decided not to apply.

Not at all surprised at Abbott taking over operations. I’m not confident they’ll be able to supply that many resources though. Time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.