Decatur, IL: Lightning jolts new city radios (STARCOM21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zman9119

DECATUR – It was perhaps the most unfortunately timed bolt of lightning in Decatur's history.

On Aug. 4, the Decatur City Council approved a $1.4 million contract with Motorola Solutions Inc. to replace the 25-year-old, eight-channel analog radio system used by several city departments, including Public Works, Water Management and the Decatur Public Transit System.

(source: Lightning jolts new city radios : Government and Politics)

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
Starcomm radio

In older systems, a lightning strike could take out an antenna and/or repeater, fairly simple devices to replace. Now if it gets the computer, it is a whole separate problem. After the new parts are in place, they still have to be programmed for the locality. Such is the price of progress.

radio_runner2003

Premium Subscriber
Give me the "old outdated" stuff any day over the fancy new technology. The fancier you make it the easier it is to break and the harder it is to fix. I refuse to even touch the new amateur radio radio stuff I will stick with my old stuff thanks. So the new stuff can get on the internet I don't care.

System Fallback

At least Decatur had an old system to fallback on. Also at least they kept the old licenses renewed for it also. It is always good too have both old and new radio systems. Like IDOT that still has active licenses for the old Low Band and currently resites on Starcom21. Low Band for backup use.

12dbsinad

I've said it a million times before, and i'll say it again. The more complex the system, the harder it fails when something happens. It's just the nature of the beast. Technology is a wonderful thing, however sometimes it leaves us in a "it either works or it doesn't state", and this is true not just with communications but with everything from your car, a firetruck, to your TV. IMHO, one of the downsides of technology.

scraech

Kinda glad this eye opener happened. Could be any stardom21 user. All that money and they have a contract to renew. These implications on being complyent with some new rules are crazy. $700.00+ for a radio is crazy too. Waste of money in my book. I'm not here to bash the Motorola system but what's this system really about? One hint $$

DPD1

And that's a lightning strike. Imagine a hurricane, earthquake or major attack... The very reason why all these "interoperability" systems, were created in the first place.

12dbsinad

And that's a lightning strike. Imagine a hurricane, earthquake or major attack... The very reason why all these "interoperability" systems, were created in the first place.

Exactly. Billions poured into these "interoperability" systems and yet the outcome makes you scratch your head. But that word, like "narrowbanding" and the need to buy expensive systems because it's a govenment "mandate", and you need it, all boils down to one thing. Green. If government spending was how all private businesses operate, we would all be learning Chinese. Yet, scary enough we are heading that way everyday.

Status
Not open for further replies.