Decent CB Radio Antenna Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chev_am

Which is a good antenna? I'm running a tight budget so none of the $250 ones. I was looking at one from radio Shack and this 10$ One from Wal*mart. I'm trying to have a good range, (10-30Miles) any suggestions? Would the Wal*mart one work good? Also i'm using it as a base CB not a mobile.

KOK5CY

antenna

I wouldn't suggest either 1 .....mobiles are not that well made for base set up's . If you need a good base i'd suggest an Antron 99 it's an omni and it's the cheapest on the market . I'd say around $80.00 - 90.00

k9rzz

Got a tree? Hang a vertical dipole made of scrap wire. Cost? Could be zero if you have some coax laying around.

John K9RZZ

The A99 is available for about 50 bucks, actually. They work pretty well. Trying to use a mobile antenna for base station use will not work very well.

N4JNW

I vote for the A99.

Comb some local pawn shops.. Ask around on the air..

Usually a used one in good shape can be had for 30 or 40 bucks.. I gave 30 for mine, and it even came with 20' of coax!

If it's been up awhile, you might want to take some fine sandpaper and sand the fiberglass back down, and then paint it with some spraypaint.

My A99 is BLACK... I painted it black after re-sanding. It looks GOOOOD and once tuned, it's a big talker..

wesct

Chev_am said:
Which is a good antenna? I'm running a tight budget so none of the $250 ones. I was looking at one from radio Shack and this 10$ One from Wal*mart. I'm trying to have a good range, (10-30Miles) any suggestions? Would the Wal*mart one work good? Also i'm using it as a base CB not a mobile.

if you can find one i would suggest a vector 4000. its a 3/4 wave vertical that will blow away an anttron 99 or imax 2000. it usually sells for about $120.00.
the original design was made by avanti. then when the federal govt saw that cbers were getting zapped by metal antennas, they changed the rules and required the antennas to be made of fiberglass.

wesct

ROY_PICKETT

I used a A99 for a long time and they are good.. I am using a antenna now made of aluminun but forget the name of it... Has 2 arms coming from the top to a hoop at the bottom.,. Is a older antenna.. Alot less noise on it then the antron but don't think they even make it anymore.I believe it it a star duster.. A antron is a good antenna though..... Roy

specman

Another vote for the A99 (with the ground plane kit). I use mine on 10 meters. Good construction and quite durable.. for the cost it's hard to beat.

N4JNW

IF you can find one..... Big IF here....

A SuperMag....

About 12' tall, and has 4 ground plane radials at the bottom... Slap that sucker on a tower about 30 ft. up, and roast....

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
There is a seller on eBay, hyelectronics, this is selling several Astro Plane Antennas! I had one of these on my house back in the late 70's and it worked really well! I highly recommend it.

Item number: 330042521828
"LW-101 ASTRO PLANE ANTENNA 5/8 Wave Areial Antenna, holds 2000 watts5/8 wave aerial. Needs no calibration it can be easly mounted by anyone, Brand new in box. A Blast from the past, one of if not the best ever made!"

Last edited:

kb2vxa

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
Hi Chev and all,

Two important criteria, rugged construction and gain. The first is paramount, the second is a bit iffy because little gane is to be had in an omnidirectional 11M CB antenna. A good compromise is the typical 5/8 wave, the brand is your choice. Never mind all the hype and opinions read here, the choice is yours and may common sense prevail.

Here's a good example of the CB mentality, beware half cocked rifles and misfired rounds.

"then when the federal govt saw that cbers were getting zapped by metal antennas, they changed the rules and required the antennas to be made of fiberglass."

Apply common sense to the above and like me have a good laugh. The only mandated requirement is a warning label on antennas, masts and accessories, I'm sure you have seen them. They're funny too, don't let the antenna fall across power lines, well, DUH.

Does anybody remember the opening sequence of the Mr. McGoo cartoons? Driving his car on the power lines and crashing into a pole transformer was a scream!

Edit;
Let me relate the experience of Jack WA2V with that Avanti Astro Plane antenna. After arranging a test with several knowlegable CBers in his area including me he carefully noted all signal reports using his Rad Shack 1/4 wave groundplane. We then mounted the Astro Plane in the same position on the same mast and repeated the test, absolutely no change but one noted later. Several neighbors complained he was wiping out TV reception on channels 2 and 5 being the worst. Back to the groundplane, the complaints ceased. Examination of the Astro Plane revealed the top elements to be resonant on the center frequencies of those channels thus amplifying the second and third harmonics of the 27MHz fundamental. He disassembled the TVI O Plane, returned it to the dealer, demanded and got a full refund but not until we threatening to bad mouth the antenna and the dealer on the air. One important fact I discovered is the Crap O Plane is constructed of the same materials as the average TV antenna and being larger and a nice windjammer, flimsy would be a good description. Draw your own conclusion whether or not to buy this thing.

Last edited:

VernM

Look at the 10 meter amateur radio antennas too, such as the Ringo. They're close enough to the frequency range to get you there. And this band isn't exactly the home of high quality equipment when you are talking about 5 watts in for power and ground wave for reasonable use. The dipole suggestion is second choice. I once also made a ground plane of electrical conduit that worked up to 30 miles when mounted on 20 feet of mast.

Status
Not open for further replies.