decent scanner in Hendersonville,NC area

Status
Not open for further replies.

alok

What would be a decent scanner to buy for use near Hendersonville / Brevard, NC areas. I learned about Simulcast reception ,etc. in the General Dscussion Forum. Should I go with the low end Uniden's like the 996P2 or the high end like the SDS200 for my area.
I never owned a digital / trunking scanner before , just have an Uniden analog that has to be 40 years old or so !
Info in the other forum said to post here ,where do I find info on types of digital / trunking systems being used in my area ?
Interested in hearing all signals that are available in my area.

Al

RaleighGuy

Premium Subscriber
If there are simulcast issues in Henderson, and you can afford it, definitely go with the SDS, the reception and longevity of the SDS vs the 996P2 will be much better.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
Henderson County now operates a NXDN trunked radio system that most/all county public safety agencies use. Most (possibly all) talkgroups are encrypted and cannot be monitored by any scanner. I believe City of Hendersonville PD remains analog conventional and not encrypted. County Fire and EMS tone-out is also analog conventional, but I don't think you can hear any of the operations radio traffic because it's carried on the NXDN trunked system. You can search this North Carolina forum for previous threads about Henderson County for more details.

Brevard is in Transylvania County, and I believe most County public safety agencies are still analog conventional. Any scanner can monitor analog conventional channels.

If you want to monitor NCSHP or other state agencies, or you're interested in Rutherford County, Buncombe County or City of Asheville, you'll need a digital trunk-tracking scanner. Those agencies operate P25 digital trunked radio systems. However, I don't believe any of the NC VIPER system sites are simulcast, so I don't think that will be a concern for you.

Good luck with your choice.

yardbird

Premium Subscriber
Like Brian said.

Henderson County is NXDN.

However County fire is still dispatched on 154.430 Mhz.

I was listening to them last night moving up companies to stand-by for Buncombe County Stations who were out on a major structure fire.

David

Barnstormer7

I use the SDS100 for the trunked systems as it does well but for the NXDN my Icom R30 does as good as can be considering about half are encrypted. Still kinda busy.

musicman476

RR DB Admin
Database Admin
I use the SDS100 for the trunked systems as it does well but for the NXDN my Icom R30 does as good as can be considering about half are encrypted. Still kinda busy.
I'm traveling to the area next week and getting my R30 ready. I notice that for the Henderson County system, the system notes say it's a 9600 baud system, but each of the site notes say it's 4800 baud. Should I program my R30 NXDN channels as Narrow or Very Narrow for this system?

Mtnfyre

I have a radio shack pro 97 that works wonders. for Transylvania, Henderson( what I can hear) and surrounding counties and indeed state wide. it also works well with viper and will do so until viper is upgraded to phase 2.

bought a 996p2 for the new truck and having lots of issues programming. however found someone on here willing to help.

brian

DB Administrator
Database Admin
A PRO-97 is analog only and won't track or decode VIPER. Perhaps you meant a PRO-197, which can, and does, do quite well with VIPER.

Barnstormer7

What would be a decent scanner to buy for use near Hendersonville / Brevard, NC areas. I learned about Simulcast reception ,etc. in the General Dscussion Forum. Should I go with the low end Uniden's like the 996P2 or the high end like the SDS200 for my area.
I never owned a digital / trunking scanner before , just have an Uniden analog that has to be 40 years old or so !
Info in the other forum said to post here ,where do I find info on types of digital / trunking systems being used in my area ?
Interested in hearing all signals that are available in my area.

Al
I live in Flat Rock and I receive tons of P25 which include 700mhz, 800mhz, NCHP, Hendo sheriff's and local police on my TRX1 and the NXDN on my Icom R30. More than half of NXDN is encrypted but you still catch a few like airport and security. The TRX does fine for all the TX in Hendo. If you want specific groups and freqs pm me.

Barnstormer7

I'm traveling to the area next week and getting my R30 ready. I notice that for the Henderson County system, the system notes say it's a 9600 baud system, but each of the site notes say it's 4800 baud. Should I program my R30 NXDN channels as Narrow or Very Narrow for this system?
You will want VN. Depending on where you are rx will be sparse due to many encrypted tx signals. Be patient, you'll catch some.

Status
Not open for further replies.