• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Deceptive FRS/GMRS Range Claims article

Status
Not open for further replies.

blastco2

Thank you for posting the link. And I agree with everything stated in the article. The end of the article is somewhat humorous and think refers to big M....

KF5YDR

What, the other thread was locked so we have to continue these shenanigans in a new one? Give it a rest already.

ron36

deception..lol

Like any product you buy theres a deception..you get what you pay for my Motorlas combo will do 2 miles radius.. not too bad. i got lots of tress and buildings near me... you by a 99 cent tin can you might 12 inches...with digital nylon. or 50 bucks for set motorola.... Kaf 6115 73s

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Research, Research, Research!

It's very simple! Caveat emptor-let the buyer beware! People have to get used to doing research on items BEFORE they buy them! I USED to be an impulse shopper. However, I have managed to save myself a ton of money and a lot of headaches by simply researching the item I'm looking to buy! I have a pair of these bubble pack radios. Mine came from Radio Shack, back when they made them with a low grade voice inversion on some channels. I use them for camping, working around the yard, and staying in contact with the family at the malls and stores.The radios allowed me to stay in contact within a reasonable range, without pulling out the big guns! ( MOTO HT1550XLS ).So, my point is yes, the manufacturers are being deceptive, but the consumer should do their part by researching before they buy!

Manny

Last edited:

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
What, the other thread was locked so we have to continue these shenanigans in a new one? Give it a rest already.

I posted this thread because it is relevant to the forum, and others might find it useful, remember not everyone who comes on here is a ham or radio "expert".

If you don't like it, feel free to exercise your right not to read it. No one is forcing you to do so.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
It's very simple! Caveat emptor-let the buyer beware! People have to get used to doing research on items BEFORE they buy them!

And the manufacturers should stop being sleazy and be honest. When RadioShack first began marketing FRS radios in 1998, they certainly did not make these ridiculous range claims. (see page 67)

1998 Radio Shack Catalog

So what changed since then? The laws of physics? I don't think so.

.So, my point is yes, the manufacturers are being deceptive, but the consumer should do their part by researching before they buy!

and that is where those of us that KNOW can do our part to assist those who do not. One of the reasons I started this thread and pointed to that well written article.

Buyers do need to do their research. Hopefully, folks like us will continue to step up and call the manufacturers on their puffery out and put an end to the shenanigans of claiming a 500mw radio can realistically perform for more than 1/2 a mile in most conditions.

blastco2

Wow, this is a forum, where, by definition, the users discuss stuff. Why would you call for a thread to be shut down? Because the subject has been mentioned once before? I'm just guessing now.... You are a ham, hams use radios to communicate with each other, do you tell your fellow hams to knock off any conversation about a subject that was talk about last year or the year before? Have you ever visited with someone just for the sake of the visit?

Back on subject..
The more threads/information links a consumer can find with a Google search the more likely said consumer will believe us vs believing the manufacturers outlandish claims. And the Claims are pure ridiculousness!

I hope I haven't ruffled any feathers....not my intention to.

robertmac

Premium Subscriber
Manufacturers are there to make big profits. Advertisers are paid by manufacturers. Sellers today are there to make a profit. None have any conscience when it comes to selling consumers what they think they are getting.

DPD1

Manufacturers are there to make big profits. Advertisers are paid by manufacturers. Sellers today are there to make a profit. None have any conscience when it comes to selling consumers what they think they are getting.

Well... I wouldn't throw a blanket quite that big over it. In business, you can be honest. But to a certain extent, you can shoot yourself in the foot. I've been in situations numerous times, were I told people that just having little simplex radios from Best Buy, wasn't going to do what they want. I told them what WOULD do what they want, and they decided that was too much money. So they chose to believe the advertising. The results were predictable. So honesty is great, but it won't help you much when you're broke.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Wow, this is a forum, where, by definition, the users discuss stuff. Why would you call for a thread to be shut down? Because the subject has been mentioned once before? I'm just guessing now.... You are a ham, hams use radios to communicate with each other, do you tell your fellow hams to knock off any conversation about a subject that was talk about last year or the year before?

There's only so much beatdown you can apply to the dead horse before further application of whackem to horseburger becomes pointless. Insulting someone because you suspect they have a ham license doesn't add much to the discussion.

blastco2

The gentleman that I quoted uses a ham call sign as his handle. One could make a reasonable judgment that he is a ham. And, where's the insult???

SCPD

QRT
It's a nice loophole for the manufactures. In theory line of sight on mountain tops sure, down on the ground no way. Unless the FTC can make their claims of range in normal real world usage, soon we will see 100 mile range radios!. I think I will launch my own FRS satellite then have coast to coast coverage :)

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
The finial statement about the commercial gear. What many people fail to realize, commercial systems are a completely different story. Many systems have been running for over 40 years with occasional updates to keep in compliance as the rules changed. When a company makes the initial licensing/purchase for a two way system, they are literally purchasing a service (much like cell systems). The radio shop then discusses with them the needs and capabilities to decide 1) what band to make the application for, 2) is the customer going to need a repeater, 3) how tall of a tower (lease space or construct tower). Many shops will run programs (SPLAT!, Radio Mobile) to model the coverage of a system. It is literally a service (the shop will also try and sell new radios every 5-8 years to the customer).

The general consumer of FRS equipment doesn't necessarily understand a radio system. They see the number stating that the radios can transmit up to a set distance as they will transmit like that.

Many people understood once upon a time that CB's could transmit 100 miles or further. Or they could be useful for about a mile. Almost product should be researched, but how often to you research (if you have one) the specs on your cell phone? We're more like kids in a candy store, that one is pretty, has a big screen, looks cool and buy it.

KJ6ZNS

Well W5PKY, I did my research, and found that the camouflage radios ARE the absolute best ones out there, AND they keep the zombies away, haven't seen one zombie since I bought them. The pretty, big screen, cool looking ones are junk, even though they have the same model number as my camouflage radio. Now where did I put that thing, that's the problem with camouflage, it blends in with the background so you can't see it. (snicker)

Status
Not open for further replies.